"SOLVED: Canon MX922 works well with Canon drivers"

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
eharris
Level 1
Level 1

"SOLVED: Canon MX922 works well with Canon drivers"

Post by eharris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:06 am

I am running LInux Mint 17 on a 64 bit system. I need to get the scanner recognized and working on my new Canon MX922 wireless printer. There was a 920 series driver already available in Mint so I installed the printer and everything but the scanner works. After the scanner didn't work I tried several other remedies I found online, but none of them worked. One site had a scanner driver specifically for the 922 on Linux Mint 17, which I installed but that didn't work.

The message I get when starting Xsane is "no devices available", which obviously isn't the case. I have almost no grasp of terminal commands, but can follow instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I need the scanner for work.
Last edited by eharris on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Canon MX922, Scanner not found but prints great.

Post by Pierre » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am

"Canon is the world’s largest printer manufacturers, and has been selling various kinds of series canon printers. but very unfortunately canon only provide printer driver for platform Windows and Machintosh. Canon did not include a printer driver for platform Linux/Ubuntu on every product we buy, and this is a problem for linux users who use a Canon printer.".

the Cannon MX920 series drivers:
http://www.driverlook.com/canon-pixma-m ... -mac-os-x/
- that's are tar.gz file & not a DEB file, which is easier to install.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/
has instructions for a PPA for Cannon MFPs

and
http://ubuntuportal.com/2011/12/how-to- ... buntu.html

"ya shoulda got a Epson".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

eharris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eharris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:41 am

Thank you for your reply. Strangely enough the links you have provided are ones that I had found also. I had installed the drivers as instructed on these links, and while they seem to work great for printing, the scanner is not recognized. I don't know why if others have had success with this, but perhaps the drivers on this page are primarily for the printing side since I never seem to see anyone mention the scanning end? But thanks anyways.

A scanner solution is still needed.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:46 am

don't give up :(

a bit more research is needed.
- there is always an answer.
:D

maybe:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/office/produc ... rightq_pro
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:57 am

You could try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18
(item 8 and further, right column)

That should work....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

eharris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eharris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Thank you Pjotr. I visited the link you provided, which ultimately led me to the Canon site where I was able to download the scan driver for linux, for my printer. I must admit that my hopes were high. I installed the scan driver without a hitch via the link you provided. But no dice. By all rights the scanner should be recognized, but it is not. It is Canons own driver for my printer, even down to the 64-bit. Just doesn't work. Very discouraging.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Weird.... Have you already tried rebooting your computer? And have you tried whether the scanning application Simple Scan (instead of Xsane) recognizes your scanner?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

eharris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eharris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi Pjotr. Yes, many reboots with many drivers and solutions. Also no luck with simple scan. I get the same message as Xsane saying no scanner detected. The printer works great. Just no sign of the scanner.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

you need to use the phrase scangearmp to run ScanGearMP

Post by pdc_2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 pm

so eharris: you are involving your problems in 2 threads;

as in the other post ........ScanGearMP is Canon's programme .........Xsane is SANE's programme ..... it is different ......sort of like ......the keys for a Toyota don't work on a Honda ................

______

to run ScanGearMP, you firstly type

Code: Select all

scangearmp
in a terminal; if that loads and works well, one sets up a launcher .........to launch ScanGearMP ............

........... linux has many, many, many variants .......so for a beginner .... the how-to for a launcher are specific to the desktop variants one is running ..... ie mate, cinnamon, XFCE, LMDE, Gnome etc etc

please tell us the desktop and we can advise on how to set up a launcher

eharris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eharris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:36 pm

pdc_2, thank you genuinely for your help, and your explanation. On both threads :)

ScanGearMP did launch and survive a test!

I did some searching on how to set up a launcher but as you suspected it was over my head. I am using Linux Mint 17, cinnamon. Any additional help you would like to share on how to set up a launcher is once again very appreciated. Thank you.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:39 pm

eharris, Check this out: " I gingerly typed the name into a terminal window and was greeted by a info window that said there was no scanner. I couldn’t believe it! Then I noticed that I could “scan” again for scanners. I did this and it found my scanner and poped up a full fledged scanning tool. I was estatic!" A quote from this site: http://www.ernielevesque.net/its-scange ... ith-linux/
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi there eharris;

delighted to hear ScanGearMP works for you;

for cinnamon; to set up a launcher; if you right-click anywhere on the desktop, you will get an option about 4 down the list "create a launcher here ...." and if you select that option

.......then you get a window as in the attachment;

Name ........is at your discretion;

Command ...........must be

Code: Select all

scangearmp
Comment: is at your discretion;

_______

when you click the OK button, it will offer to add it to the menu; ..........it adds it to the OTHERS category; you can drag it to whatever suits you; and once in that menu list; you can add it to the bottom bar of the page; ...do you need a guide on that?

I see you popping up in several threads; all to do with your MX920 series device; forum moderators would often counsel you to stick to one thread; ideally that you have started; to pop up in someone else's thread would be discouraged by many
Attachments
launcher.png

eharris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eharris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 pm

pdc_2, Thank you. You have been of tremendous help. I very much appreciate your help and guidance.

I was able to create the launch using your instructions. The rest is no problem. Don't you just love Linux Mint! After using it for about 8 months now; no more viruses, no freeze ups, no unexpected problems, reliability, faster and lighter, and the list goes on and on. I could NEVER go back to Windows.

Thank you again and take care.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

SOLVED: Canon MX922 works well with Canon drivers

Post by pdc_2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:22 pm

thanks; glad all is good;

as you own the thread, you can edit the title to something like "SOLVED: Canon MX922 works well with Canon drivers"

that should help those following in your wake

some folks following the thread may say: well, why isn't it clearer how to get ScanGearMP to work ....... Canon should document this............well... actually.....they do ....... http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 47701.html

........they produce a guide as a .tar.gz file so one ..........unpacks it with Archive Manager; and then extracts it to a directory of your choice; and CRUCIALLY one right-clicks on the guide_index.htm file and opens it in Firefox .......and it is all there ......one has to read the detailed advice and instructions Canon provide ............. for all of us, it is finding information that can be tricky ........it is usually somewhere!!

as to when SANE can add the necessary for the MX920 series, it is all done by volunteers; I saw a volunteer with an MX920 offer to do the work and send the raw data to the expert compilers; all volunteers; so in the fullness of time an update will be released .........if one follows SANE (google for it) .........one can spot when an update is released
Attachments
scangear_howto1.png
scangear_howto2.png
scangear_howto3.png

Return to “Printers & Scanners”