Welcome screen won't accept password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wolf_moses
Level 1
Level 1

Welcome screen won't accept password

Post by wolf_moses »

The welcome screen after bootup on Mint1 (Linux 17.1) won't accept my user name or password. I've tried several combinations. As far as I know I haven't changed either; I don't know how. I can't get into the computer. Please help.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Welcome screen won't accept password

Post by Pjotr »

You can try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5

That should do the job. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The Linux password system does not change itself, you need to be superuser, so whatever password you had is still there, it's just not going in properly.

Test your knowledge. Attempt a console login with the Ctrl+Alt+F4 keypress and prove your user name and password. Switch back to a graphic login with the Ctrl+Alt+F8 keypress.

The greeter screen can be confusing, leading you to input your password as a user name, or your user name as a password. Read the prompt and input what it is asking for.

Hit CapsLock a few times until the light is on, then once more to switch it off. It is possible the BIOS and Linux disagree over the keyboard state.

In general, stick to ASCII letters and numbers in your password, some symbols like @ and " or £ and # move around on the keyboard. You type @ but Linux sees " for example.

Changing your password behind-the-scenes using this method https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5 can lead to more problems if your home folder is encrypted.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Mute Ant wrote:Changing your password behind-the-scenes using this method https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5 can lead to more problems if your home folder is encrypted.
That's true. Thanks for this addition. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
wolf_moses
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wolf_moses »

I eventually got there using the first tip.

Thank you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”