Questions about applications and software
denis_p
Level 1
Level 1

screenshot not working through printscreen key

Post by denis_p » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 am

Hello everyone,

When pressing the printscreen key, I get a dialog box saying :
UI definition file for the screenshot program is missing.
Please check your installation of mate-utils
I reinstalled mate-utils, but that did not change anything.
Any idea ?
thanks,

Denis

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Re: screenshot not working through printscreen key

Post by phd21 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 pm

denis_p wrote:Hello everyone,

When pressing the printscreen key, I get a dialog box saying :
UI definition file for the screenshot program is missing.
Please check your installation of mate-utils
I reinstalled mate-utils, but that did not change anything.
Any idea ?
thanks,

Denis
Hi denis_p,

I noticed 3 "mate-utils" type programs in my SPM. You could go into your System Menu then to Synaptic Package Manager (spm), enter your password, and type in the search box "mate-util", right click each of the "mate-utils" programs and select mark for reinstallation; and why you are there, you could search for and add (mark for install) some other screenshot, screen capture, programs as well, like "shutter", or "Hotshots"; maybe even install a desktop recorder if you don't have one already installed like "recorditnow", "recordmydesktop", etc... then, of course you must hit "apply" in the upper left, wait for it to install everything, then exit the SPM, and it would probably be a good idea to restart the computer.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 pm

You could check the Contol Center/Keyboard Shortcuts to make sure the Printscreen key is associated
with the take screenshot action
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

denis_p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denis_p » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:49 am

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions :
- I checked keyboard shortcuts, screen capture is properly associated with printscreen key
- I reinstalled mate-utils mate-utils-common, and installed shutter and recordmydesktop (no hotshots and recorditnow packages available)
but unfortunately the problem is still there.

d4rk50ld13r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by d4rk50ld13r » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:53 am

Hi

Had the same problem , just open synaptic and download : gnome-screenshot.
will work perfectly.

Bill Statler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Statler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm

denis_p wrote:UI definition file for the screenshot program is missing.
I think this is referring to /usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui -- might be worth checking whether that file exists.

The PrintScreen button does work for me. (LMDE 2 MATE 64-bit with all current updates, ancient Logitech keyboard using the "Logitech Generic Keyboard" setting.)

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 pm

denis_p wrote:Thanks to both of you for your suggestions :
- I checked keyboard shortcuts, screen capture is properly associated with printscreen key
- I reinstalled mate-utils mate-utils-common, and installed shutter and recordmydesktop (no hotshots and recorditnow packages available)
but unfortunately the problem is still there.
Hi denis_p,

I just changed my default printscreen program "ksnapshot" (Linux Mint KDE's very good default screen capture program) to "shutter" to see if it would work. It did. I went through my "System Settings" menu, selected "Shortcuts and gestures" option, when that came up, it was already on "Custom shortcuts", I expanded the "preset actions" section by clicking the arrow on the left, "PrintScreen" is one of the options, clicked that, to the right of that are 3 tabs, Comment, Trigger, Action. Didn't see a need to change the Comment from the default, the Trigger is already the "Print" key which is the PrintScreen key - do not change that, and on the Action tab, in the section titled "Command/URL", I had "ksnapshot" my LM KDE default which I changed to "shutter -f" (without quotes), clicked "Apply" on bottom right, exited my System Settings Menu and tried it. Worked great.

I used "shutter -f" because I usually grab the entire screen, "-f" = full screen. There are other options you could use other than full screen. You could use "shutter -a" to get just the current Active Window (see below).

I went into my Utilities Menu and clicked "Shutter" to set some defaults under "Preferences":
- I like all my screen captures to automatically go into my "ScreenCaptures" folder underneath my "Picture" folder, so I changed Shutter's default directory to that.
- If you want a different image format than the default ".png", then you could change it to ".jpg"...
- I changed the default "filename" to $nb_name_%m-%d-%Y_%T_%NNN because I want the date on the filename as well. (ex filename should be: "Desktop1_04-17-2015_15:37:32_001.png")
- I also like to have the cursor, so ?I selected that.
-I also selected start shutter at login, and hide the main window on first startup.

That's it ....

FYI:
Shutter's CAPTURE MODE OPTIONS (from console terminal type in man shutter)
-s, --select=[X,Y,WIDTH,HEIGHT]
Capture an area of the screen. Providing X,Y,WIDTH,HEIGHT is optional.
-f, --full
Capture the entire screen.
-w, --window=[NAME_PATTERN]
Select a window to capture. Providing a NAME_PATTERN (Perl-style regex) ist optional.
-a, --active
Capture the current active window.
--section
Capture a section. You will be able to select any child window by moving the mouse over it.
-m, --menu
Capture a menu.
-t, --tooltip
Capture a tooltip.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

denis_p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denis_p » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

@d4rk50ld13r : I install gnome-screenshot, but the problem is still there.

@phd21 : thanks for your detailed explanations. Unfortunately, unless I misunderstood them, what you describe is for the KDE desktop, and I'm using the Mate one, don't have any KDE stuff on my computer.

@Bill Statler : the file /usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui does already exist, but that put me in the right direction : I started "mate-screenshot" from command line and realized that the problem was the same, while starting "mate-screenshot --interactive" does work. So I guess I should change the default Mate desktop screenshot command somewhere. The matter, now, is to find where...

Regards,

Denis

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Does Alt+Printscreen work? This should snapshot the open window.
Have you tried a different keyboard?

You can add a screenshot launcher to your panel by right-clicking it and choosing Add to Panel,
then choose the Application Launcher, Forward, expand Accessories, scroll down and click Take Screenshot.
This will launch mate-screenshot-interactive from the tray.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

denis_p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denis_p » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:47 pm

all41 wrote:Does Alt+Printscreen work? This should snapshot the open window.
Have you tried a different keyboard?

You can add a screenshot launcher to your panel by right-clicking it and choosing Add to Panel,
then choose the Application Launcher, Forward, expand Accessories, scroll down and click Take Screenshot.
This will launch mate-screenshot-interactive from the tray.
Thanks for your suggestions, all41.
Alt+Printscreen produces the same error message :
"UI definition file for the screenshot program is missing.
Please check your installation of mate-utils"
while starting mate-screenshot from Mintmenu works : that's because it starts "mate-screenshot --interactive" which works, while PrintScreen starts "mate-screenshot" and Alt+PrintScreen start "mate-screenshot --window" (checked with "ps ax") which does not. These two commands also fail from terminal, so this is not a keyboard shortcut matter but a mate-screenshot failure with some options.
Could anyone check "mate-screenshot", and "mate-screenshot --window" from a terminal to see if it works for him.
Thanks,

Denis

Bill Statler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Statler » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:57 pm

denis_p wrote:@Bill Statler : the file /usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui does already exist, but that put me in the right direction : I started "mate-screenshot" from command line and realized that the problem was the same, while starting "mate-screenshot --interactive" does work. So I guess I should change the default Mate desktop screenshot command somewhere. The matter, now, is to find where...
Interesting. There are two different user interfaces -- I never noticed that.

The PrintScreen key or "mate-screenshot" from the terminal brings up a window where you can enter a filename and folder, with buttons for "Copy to Clipboard" and "Save". It looks like /usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui defines this user interface. (Alt-PrintScreen is the same as "mate-screenshot -w": only grabs the current window.)

Running "mate-screenshot --interactive" from the terminal brings up an entirely different user interface that lets you choose whether to grab the whole desktop, the current window, or a selected area, and lets you include or exclude the pointer, the window border, and a drop-shadow or border effect.

Looking at the binary of /usr/bin/mate-screenshot, I see text for the --interactive user interface hardcoded into it, which probably explains why --interactive works for you even if the mate-screenshot.ui file can't be found. But I also see the filename "/usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui" hardcoded in. So if the file exists on your machine, why can't mate-screenshot find it?

Weird.

denis_p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denis_p » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Yes, weird...

Code: Select all

denis@denis-portable ~ $ ls -l /usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13187 mars   9 19:56 /usr/share/mate-screenshot/mate-screenshot.ui

denis_p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denis_p » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 am

the problem also happens on a pure Debian Jessie system, so I posted a bug report on Mate Github here :
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-ut ... t-95138261

Return to “Software & Applications”