Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Eierkuchen
Level 1
Level 1

Main Menu is not working

Post by Eierkuchen »

Hi everyone :)

for some weeks now, I have kind of a problem because my main menu is not working correctly anymore.
I am now using the MATE menu (it was the one which I could add to my panel). With this, I can switch off the computer and have access to adjust the settings and manage the systems (only exception: Nothing happens if I go System -> settings -> main menu). However, I cannot access the other programmes which are normally available (accessories, office programmes, graphic programmes, internet browsers and so on). They are not listed in the menu.

If I want to reset the original menu with gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel, the following info appears:
----
Initialisierung des Plugins fehlgeschlagen (German for: "initialisation of the plugin has not worked") applications : Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py", line 332, in PopulatePlugins
MyPlugin.do_plugin()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1301, in do_plugin
self.Todos()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 556, in Todos
self.buildButtonList()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 574, in buildButtonList
self.updateBoxes(False)

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1578, in updateBoxes
newCategoryList = self.buildCategoryList()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1725, in buildCategoryList
for child in menu.directory.get_contents():

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_contents'

----

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me because I have no idea about these things...

I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me how to reset my menu!

I am looking forward to your answers! Many thanks in advance, Eierkuchen!

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Main Menu is not working

Post by Monsta »

Code: Select all

mintmenu --reset

Eierkuchen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eierkuchen »

Monsta wrote:

mintmenu --reset
I have tried "mintmenu --reset" in the terminal but it didn't work...

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

try this:

mate-panel --reset
That should reset the panel to default with the original menu button.
if not then delete the menus you have added first as in this post:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=193762

ricky22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ricky22 »

Hello,

I have a similar problem. On login, I get the following error message:

Couldn't initialize plugin applications : Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py", line 317, in PopulatePlugins
MyPlugin.do_plugin()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1336, in do_plugin
self.Todos()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 582, in Todos
self.buildButtonList()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 611, in buildButtonList
self.updateBoxes(False)

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1617, in updateBoxes
newCategoryList = self.buildCategoryList()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1783, in buildCategoryList
for child in menu.directory.get_contents():

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_contents'

The mintMenu launches with an empty Applications panel. I've tried mintmenu --reset and mate-panel --reset,
no joy. I've purged and reinstalled the packages mintmenu and mate-menus, the problem persists.

I edited the menu manually yesterday, I installed the package quarry (interface for the board game go), then edited the menu entry under Menu → Preferences. It kept going back to the original entry name and description. After a few attempts it worked, but today I got the problem described above. I was trying to change the entry name to Japanese. This could be related to language/locale as I have seen the same problem reported for users with sessions set to German and Russian:

http://www.linuxmintusers.de/index.php?topic=5020.0

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1266751

Any help would be much appreciated.

ricky22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ricky22 »

I found another old post describing the same issue:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146592

Actually, even though I am able to see the Places and System sub-menus (only Applications and Favourites are empty), nothing happens when I click on any entry. Which is the same behaviour as described in the above post. According to the post this was fixed with the version 5.3.7, I am running version 5.5.8 and am still experiencing it.

ricky22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ricky22 »

Additional information - this is user profile-specific, affects the primary user account, but not other user accounts. Exactly as described here in another old post I found:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/826157

ricky22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ricky22 »

Another user reported the same problem six months ago:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=174634

I am getting the same Python-related error message when I run ~ $ mintmenu in terminal:

~/デスクトップ $ mintmenu
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:50: RuntimeWarning: You have imported the Gtk 2.0 module. Because Gtk 2.0 was not designed for use with introspection some of the interfaces and API will fail. As such this is not supported by the pygobject development team and we encourage you to port your app to Gtk 3 or greater. PyGTK is the recomended python module to use with Gtk 2.0
warnings.warn(warn_msg, RuntimeWarning)

bjstyrer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bjstyrer »

I just had the same issue, suddenly appearing after some multiboot issues that may have corrupted some file (hanging boot, so I had to power cycle).

If I run the mate-panel --reset it recreates the error window with a Python stack trace of errors.

By opening the control center and going to the main menu setting, I simply removed all menus and exited (autosaved). After that I reran mate-panel --reset

That solved it! I tried re-creating the menu entry by entry, saving each time and resetting, but some menu points (all in italic in the settings window) will cause the error when added to the menu. So I simply left those out.

Why this happens, I don't know, but perhaps this can give a hint as to the cause of the error for maintainers of the menu - and also help others who might experience this problem.

Return to “MATE”