Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX Driver

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RadioCrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX Driver

Post by RadioCrazy »

I have the Audigy 5 RX PCI-E card and Mint detects it as an old Audigy 2 hence it don’t work, any one had this problem if so how do you install the correct driver.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX Driver

Post by Penn »

I was thinking of making a "Frankenstein" which would have used a similar Soundblaster card but didn't. In the process I saw the card I had would have required an additional alsa component. I want to say firmware but I'm not 100% sure. An internet search with the word alsa included might yield results.
RadioCrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadioCrazy »

Many thanks for the reply, I will have a search but I'm sure what Frankenstein has to do with it, even my video card is running on an equivalent driver, according to the driver manager
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

Frankenstein's monster was put together by parts from multiple people. "Frankenstein" in that context means I was going to put together a computer from assorted parts from multiple machines. One of those parts was a Soundblaster card, not all that different from yours.

Quick search revealed this page - http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/in/ ... -card-pcie which states the SB 2 driver works but to enable extra features requires additional components one of which would be alsa-firmware. Another quick search in the software installer gives an option for alsa-firmware-loaders. I'm not sure if that is the required component but maybe.

Another page I briefly glanced at seems to indicate all features will work but might take configuring and additional work.
RadioCrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadioCrazy »

Penn wrote:Frankenstein's monster was put together by parts from multiple people. "Frankenstein" in that context means I was going to put together a computer from assorted parts from multiple machines. One of those parts was a Soundblaster card, not all that different from yours.

Quick search revealed this page - http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/in/ ... -card-pcie which states the SB 2 driver works but to enable extra features requires additional components one of which would be alsa-firmware. Another quick search in the software installer gives an option for alsa-firmware-loaders. I'm not sure if that is the required component but maybe.

Another page I briefly glanced at seems to indicate all features will work but might take configuring and additional work.
Many thanks for the explanation it all makes sense now, I will read and follow the links you suggest.
Incidentally the sound card does not work at all no output at all, until I boot into windows 7, this card as 2 microphone inputs and it only shows 1 in the sound menu.
Thanks fore you're help
DerRickster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DerRickster »

Hi. I'm a noob of all noobs. I have a audigy Rx too and can't get surround sound. Has this been resolved. with the link provided. I don't know how to use an install script if the solution works. Can someone help. Thx

Return to “Beginner Questions”