Installation Failure. Errno 5 Input/Output error. Help?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Calistoo
Level 1
Level 1

Installation Failure. Errno 5 Input/Output error. Help?

Postby Calistoo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi all.

I've been interested in using Linux for a few years and finally decided to pull the trigger to try out Linux Mint.
I'm planning to dual boot Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64bit alongside Windows 8.1.
Since I'm a bit of a noob, I decided to follow [this guide][/http://linux.about.com/od/howtos/ss/How-To-Dual-Boot-Windows-81-And-Linux-Mint.htm].

Some background:
I am booting from a USB made from Universal USB installer 1.9.6.1.
I have followed the linked guide exactly including the partition sizes they suggested.
I have verified that the MD5 of the iso I downloaded matches the one on the linux mint website.
I have 1 TB of space on this laptop so I am assuming that space is not an issue. Again, my partitions are all the sizes that the guide recommended.

I've looked around on different forums and most of the problems have been fixed by moving from a DVD install to a USB install, but I am already booting from a USB. My laptop also does not have a CD Drive.
I read about appending a boot command of apic=off, but I am unsure how to do this.

Does anyone know of a solution? Thank you!

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Installation Failure. Errno 5 Input/Output error. Help?

Postby administrollaattori » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:12 am

I have met some unstable computers which do the input/output error if using ext4 filesystem. With ext3, the installations have worked.

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Postby richyrich » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:55 am

Try this next time from the terminal just before you start the installer, it will remove the slideshow that runs during the install. It has helped others.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint

JOPETA
Level 11
Level 11

Postby JOPETA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Universal Installer is not a good choice (only creates MBR USB). From pendrivelinux.com see following
Bootable USB Flash Drive Creation Requirements:
(....)
*Fat16, Fat32, or NTFS Formatted Flash Drive. MBR partition only GPT will not work!
PC with a BIOS that can boot from USB
it is worth you try Rufus selecting GPT partition scheme for UEFI systems.
Calistoo wrote:I'm planning to dual boot Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64bit alongside Windows 8.1

Then get into your UEFI/BIOS settings and select UEFI mode (only UEFI not UEFI/CSM or UEFI/legacy) and disable CSM , if any. Also set your UEFI USB live as the first UEFI device to Boot (maybe need to save change with F10, restart and open UEFI/setting again to see this option).
Calistoo wrote:[/http://linux.about.com/od/howtos/ss/How-To-Dual-Boot-Windows-81-And-Linux-Mint.htm].
Neither this is a good guide try this one. Good luck. :wink:
Si unas prisas acude al chat #linuxmint-help (te atenderán en cualquier idioma) o si quieres simplemente charlar exclusivamente en español #linux-es

azlk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby azlk » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:56 am

All these advices are too complex and I'm afraid all of them are far from reality.
I got the same situation when I had to reinstall Linux Mint on my UIEFI dual boot notebook (Lenovo Think Pad).
I downloaded 17.2 (CRC was ok) and got this "errno 5 IO error". Tried every advise from this forum thread and nothing worked.
Then I tried canonical Ubuntu 14.04 installer and it had installed without a single quirk!
This is obviously a bug in Linux Mint installer since other distributive was installed without a problem!
Looking at this situation I thought I didn't want to waste a lot of time struggling with a new and unknown bug and simply moved to Ubuntu Mate, which had installed without a single problem as well.
It is very sad, I like LM very much, but the truth is that LM has become too complex but developers apparently have insufficient resources to work on it, several times I met nasty annoying bugs which needed manual work. :(

JOPETA
Level 11
Level 11

Postby JOPETA » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:54 am

Edited:Calistoo's muted long before and I don't want to feed trolls.
Last edited by JOPETA on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

azlk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby azlk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 pm

If I understood you correctly, it was your impulse to intercede LM, but...
Steps 2,3,5 and 6 are irrelevant to this problem.
2)Check the ISO file downloaded.

- I checked it twice if not more.
3)Use an USB Live created with an UEFI compatible tool (Unetbootin, ...NOT Universal USB intaller 1,2,3 and others) I recommend Rufus because your are in Windows at this point, can choose the way you create the usb live (GPT/UEFI boot) and woks in almost all case.

- I tried rufus with LM without any effect. On the other hand I used simple dd to write Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate to USB flash and every time I got successful installation.
5)Change UFI/BIOS setting to ensure you boot your installation media in UEFI mode and disable all BIOS functions as Fast/Quick Boot, Secure Boot, ISRT that prevent Linux to Boot/install....

- I tried every possible compination in my UEFI/BIOS settings while trying to install LM without success and I easily installed Ubuntu| Ubuntu Mate without changing anything in my UEFI/BIOS.
6)Check the installation media(USB live) you have created.

- checking USB media gave no errors, from that same USB media I successfully installed Ubuntu, not LM.
Thus, hard facts and clear logic tells us that the problem is NOT in all these "if", "try this", "try that". The problem actually IS in Linux Mint installation ISO.

JOPETA
Level 11
Level 11

Postby JOPETA » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:20 am

Edited: I don't want to feed trolls.
Last edited by JOPETA on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helterskelter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby helterskelter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:16 pm

I come across posts like these from time to time and all I can do is (sort of ) smile :wink: .

Out of the Thousands of downloads and installations this or that odd individual concludes that this or that Distribution is "faulty". And the individual nearly allways has an odd command of the 'English Language'. Funny old world.

ed.
Got a Doggie? Don't forget to clean up after them.

Return to “Installation & Boot”