Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Sync iphone 6 music with 17.2

Post by badmotor »

Hi, I just installed 17.2 Cinnamon 64bit on my PC (haven't used Linux Mint for many years) and am very impressed with how the distro has developed. I see you can browse the iphone and move docs/import photos etc, which is very cool.

Has anyone been able to get music syncing working yet? I see Banshee puts the music in the phone, and certainly reads it back, but iTunes on the phone won't pick it up. And Banshee doesn't see the itunes library that is on the phone... obviously some sneaky encryption going on in there or something like that.

Anyway, looking forward to poking around in this distro some more and encouraging my family to use it. :D
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sync iphone 6 music with 17.2

Post by badmotor »

Oh,

I see that libimobiledevice is still on 1.1.5 but the latest is 1.2.0. Does anyone know how to update it to the latest version without breaking anything? Does anyone have experience with syncing music to that version?

Cheers.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi badmotor,

Here are some links to posts regarding this, that you might find helpful...

Help syncing music from iOS8 device
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=194569

Sync music on iPod Touch 4
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=201849

single "app" to rip/store/play music?
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=194392

Downloading iTunes
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=194685

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor »

Thanks, but al I really need is for someone to tell me the right code to update libimobiledevice to the latest version (1.2.0). The one in the repositories is old and doesn't support ios8. It would be great for many people for sure.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi badmotor,

Okay, Here is the link to the "source code" for "libimobiledevice" below, once you bring that up, there is a button on the right to "download the zip" file and instructions to compile and install it for your system.

"Cross-platform protocol library to communicate with iOS devices, http://www.libimobiledevice.org "

https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libimobiledevice

Let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck ...

PS: I think you might find that another Linux music player(s), like the great Amarok, or Clementine, or Exaile, might also work right now to sync your music and device; as I mentioned in the other post's links.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor »

Cool,

I've tried lots of different players, none seem to work. I actually tried what you said up there with downloading the latest version and building myself, but to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing and the first command didn't even work. Not sure if I'm in the right folder/location to execute, or if I'm missing obvious commands that aren't included. Was hoping someone could spell it out more layman-style.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor »

Ok, the instructions are this:
Installation
============

To compile run:
./autogen.sh
make
sudo make install
but I get:

Code: Select all

bash: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor »

Alright, I've figure it why it doesn't work (pays to read everything you can get your hands on)
Rhythmbox, gtkpod and Amarok sync with latest libgpod >= 0.7.90. The iPhone 4/4S, iPod Touch 4, iPad 1/2/3rd Gen and Apple TV do NOT work.
Any device with DBVersion > 4 does NOT work. To check your DBVersion run "ideviceinfo -q com.apple.mobile.iTunes -k DBVersion". WIP.
Looks like it is a work in progress. I'm on database version 5.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi badmotor, and anyone else,

I. I cannot comment rationally on what you just posted because I have no way to test it since I have none of these Apple devices. Perhaps there are other users in this forum and elsewhere that have newer iPhones, iPads, etc... that could comment on this. I do know that users with previous versions are able to access and use their Apple devices using the programs already mentioned. It cannot hurt to try the previous suggestions. I still cannot tell from your recent post, if you actually installed and tried accessing your Apple devices using Amarok, or Clementine, etc..., or if you just found another article (post) claiming it will not work?

Note of caution: Any time you compile something from outside the normal software repositories and install it, you take the risk of it not behaving well on your system including, but unlikely, crashing your system. So, you might want to consider backing up first before do anything like this or before any major upgrades too.

II. a.) In order for you to compile, install, and use the newest driver from previous posts, you must install the "build-essential" package from your Software Manager or SPM, and while you are in there if you haven't already installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras" do that too.

II b.) Assuming you have already downloaded that "driver zip file" from previous post to your "/downloads" folder (or wherever), then you must extract the zip archive file's contents; I usually use the file manager to do this because it is easy, by right clicking the file, selecting "extract here - autodetect subfolder", when finished there is a new folder, remember the exact name of it.

Then, Bring up your console terminal prompt, change to that new folder, "cd /downloads/newfoldername", then run the compile and install commands:

To compile run:

./autogen.sh
make
sudo make install

You might also need to run the command below:
sudo apt-get install --yes --force-yes -f

II c.) From that "drivers page", I noticed that there are other program "dependencies" which may not have been installed by the above processes, so you might need to install those too before this works.
Requirements
============

Development Packages of:
libgnutls or openssl
libplist
libusbmuxd

Software:
usbmuxd
make
autoheader
automake
autoconf
libtool
pkg-config
gcc

Optional:
cython (Python bindings)
doxygen (Documentation)

Then, reboot (restart) your system, and try it, and let us all know how it went ...

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi badmotor, and anyone else,,

Even though I don't have any Apple "idevices", I decided to try to compile the newer driver "libimobiledevice" myself on my Linux Mint KDE 17.1 system. During this process I noticed some things:

1. There are some programs and utilities in the Software Manager / SPM, that if you are having any difficulty using any music player and or accessing your Apple iDevices (ipod, iphone, ipad), that installing these might help right now without installing this newer driver: "mtp-tools", "mtpfs", "jmtpfs", "ifuse", making sure that the current "libimobiledevice" drivers are installed.

2. After checking the dependencies for this newer "libimobiledevice" driver in my SPM (Synaptic Package Manager), I was only missing an older "autoconf" program "autoconf2.13" which I don't know is necessary to install, but I did anyway, and "Cython" which I also installed. Every other dependency was already installed.

3. So, I ran the first step "./autogen.sh" which started out quickly, paused a little then kept going. Everything looked good, then it gave me this message:
checking for libusbmuxd... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libusbmuxd >= 1.0.9) were not met:
No package 'libusbmuxd' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libusbmuxd_CFLAGS
and libusbmuxd_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
Updated: 08-10-2015 8:30pm eastern US: This file "libusbmuxd2" was already installed, but it is 1.0.8-2, but this newer driver's program "script" to compile and install this newer driver doesn't recognize the older file v1.0.8, nor does it install the newer one v1.0.9, or it has a "bug" in it.

Anyway, so when I went to do the next step "make"
make
naturally resulted in message below because one of the dependencies was not met:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I tried the third step
sudo make install
which again resulted in:
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

If anyone out there knows how to modify (change) this script's dependency on "libusbmuxd v1.0.9" to use the older version 1.0.8, or to install all required programs for newer "libusbmuxd2" version 1.0.9, let us know; I could not find the entry for this in the ".autogen.sh" file (must be in one of the many other files in this folder) or how to get around this issue, then the "compile and install" commands should work. I'm currently trying to locate the "libusbmuxd v1.0.9" file that will install, to see if I can get the script to finish compiling which afterwards will let us install it. So far, I cannot find one that installs.

So, is anyone else trying to compile and install this newer driver? If so, what are your results?
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor »

phd21:

Thanks for all your effort investigating this. You have gone above and beyond. I hoped that it would be a case of copying and pasting a few lines of code and then be updated with the latest libraries. However, this is now outside my skill-level so I am happy to throw my arms up in the air and accept that part of the functionality doesn't work right now. And for the sake of keeping a stable system here, I'm happy not to be doing things I don't understand.

Plus: I should have thought outside the square before - there are 3rd party music players for ios that will play flac and mp3 that you can just drag and drop files through your household wifi, bypassing the whole itunes ecosystem. Otherwise, Mint works great for browsing the phone, importing photos/files etc. :D