Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fahim_ferdous
Level 1
Level 1

Console at startup

Post by Fahim_ferdous » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:14 am

How do I make it default to start at console mode by not pressing Ctrl+altr+f2?

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Console at startup

Post by Mute Ant » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:37 am

"How do I make it default to start at console mode by not pressing Ctrl+altr+f2?" If none of the following is relevant to what you want to do, I guessed wrong :(

You can start a Mint machine without starting the X-server or MDM by adding text to the kernel boot arguments.

HOWTO add kernel argument text to an installed GRUB

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
...and add text in the first dialogue. Use the TAB key to move between dialogue fields to OK and ENTER to accept the change.

Kernel arguments are only applied during boot...reboot the computer and you will get a console-only start.

The more complex desktops...KDE and Cinnamon...may not behave properly after starting the machine this way...I can't test that right now. For Mate and Openbox the following still work in Rosa...

HOWTO switch on the GUI greeter from a console boot...

sudo mdm
HOWTO switch on the GUI without a GUI greeter...

startx
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Console at startup

Post by austin.texas » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Mute Ant wrote:The more complex desktops...KDE and Cinnamon...may not behave properly after starting the machine this way...I can't test that right now.
HOWTO switch on the GUI without a GUI greeter...

startx
Cinnamon operates fine at tty1 when started in this manner, but "startx" does not do a very good job of starting the x display. (Fallback mode). Better to reboot without "text" if you want graphics. You can press "e" at the Grub menu to edit the "linux" line, to delete "text". (Or add "text" for testing.)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”