Crash upon suspend. Message: Boot Script Table modified.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wingedwraith
Level 1
Level 1

Crash upon suspend. Message: Boot Script Table modified.

Post by wingedwraith »

Hello, I am new to this site.
I have been using Mint for a while and installed a fresh copy of Mint Cinnamon 17.3 on a new computer. I boot with UEFI firmware. Everything works fine in general.
I am using the Lenovo G50-45 laptop (if that helps).

I have this strange problem though. Upon the second time I hit suspend it show this quick message which I can barely read, screen turns blank for a second then reappears with a blank screen with the message "Warning!!! Boot script table modified, please contact your vendor!!!" and immediately shuts down. It always, without fail happens on the second suspend.

Anyone know what might be wrong?
Thank you in advance.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Crash upon suspend. Message: Boot Script Table modified.

Post by Derek_S »

Hello wingedwraith - I found this bit of info on Lenovo's support website: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/produc ... ot_protect

It appears that at one time there was a security issue with the UEFI firmware on certain machines and Lenovo took steps to resolve it. From the above link:

"A vulnerability has been found in the S3 Boot Script protection that would allow malicious software to boot in the BIOS upon a recovery from Windows Sleep or Suspend (i.e. S3) mode. This vulnerability would require that the malicious code already be running as an administrator or have root privileges already within the operating system. This patch protects the S3 Boot Script from being modified by a compromised Operating System."

Be aware that the Windows Boot Manager not only handles system boot, but also handles resuming the system from suspend (http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files ... onment.pdf).

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that your Lenovo's UEFI firmware is looking for a digital signature, such as the one contained in bootmgfw.efi, in order to confirm that the operating system is valid, i.e. the one originally installed on the machine, Windows. I'm afraid I can't offer you a solution here other than getting into the habit of shutting the machine down instead of using suspend.
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."
wingedwraith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wingedwraith »

Derek_S wrote:Hello wingedwraith - I found this bit of info on Lenovo's support website: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/produc ... ot_protect

It appears that at one time there was a security issue with the UEFI firmware on certain machines and Lenovo took steps to resolve it. From the above link:

"A vulnerability has been found in the S3 Boot Script protection that would allow malicious software to boot in the BIOS upon a recovery from Windows Sleep or Suspend (i.e. S3) mode. This vulnerability would require that the malicious code already be running as an administrator or have root privileges already within the operating system. This patch protects the S3 Boot Script from being modified by a compromised Operating System."

Be aware that the Windows Boot Manager not only handles system boot, but also handles resuming the system from suspend (http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files ... onment.pdf).

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that your Lenovo's UEFI firmware is looking for a digital signature, such as the one contained in bootmgfw.efi, in order to confirm that the operating system is valid, i.e. the one originally installed on the machine, Windows. I'm afraid I can't offer you a solution here other than getting into the habit of shutting the machine down instead of using suspend.
Thank you. Yes, I had seen that. Is it possible to reinstall to factory condition or anything I can do? I am currently using Windows and it's driving me up the wall. I am prepared to delete the re format the hard drive if that's what it takes.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello wingedwraith - I don't think there's much you can do to solve this. From what I've read, the S3 boot script is a part of the machine's UEFI firmware. That means the only way it can be modified is to re-write the firmware itself and re-flash the BIOS. Unless you're a bonafide expert in this area, this approach is a dead end as far as I'm concerned.

The only possible way I can think of getting around the problem would be to abandon using UEFI boot entirely and try using Legacy/CSM boot instead. I say this thinking that there's a good chance the S3 boot script doesn't come into play when Legacy/CSM is enabled. But I cannot guarantee the results, I can only suggest trying it to see if it works.

Before proceeding, I have a couple of questions to ask you. a.) Are you currently dual-booting with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10? Or have you installed Linux Mint as a stand-alone operating system? b.) If the latter is the case, do you ever intend to re-install Windows at some point in the future?
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."
wingedwraith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wingedwraith »

Derek_S wrote:Hello wingedwraith - I don't think there's much you can do to solve this. From what I've read, the S3 boot script is a part of the machine's UEFI firmware. That means the only way it can be modified is to re-write the firmware itself and re-flash the BIOS. Unless you're a bonafide expert in this area, this approach is a dead end as far as I'm concerned.

The only possible way I can think of getting around the problem would be to abandon using UEFI boot entirely and try using Legacy/CSM boot instead. I say this thinking that there's a good chance the S3 boot script doesn't come into play when Legacy/CSM is enabled. But I cannot guarantee the results, I can only suggest trying it to see if it works.

Before proceeding, I have a couple of questions to ask you. a.) Are you currently dual-booting with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10? Or have you installed Linux Mint as a stand-alone operating system? b.) If the latter is the case, do you ever intend to re-install Windows at some point in the future?
Hey Derek sorry for the very late reply. I have been away for a bit and for some reason I don't get notified of responses.
Thank you for all that information.
I am in no way an expert in that area or any other area to be honest.

The problem arose when I deleted the dedicated UEFI drive. I was hoping to switch completely to Mint (with no interest of ever returning to Windows) like I had done with my previous computer but this was a failure as they error started popping up (of course I was using Legacy at this point to boot).

So I had to format everything again and create a UEFI partition from a Windows bootable and installed Mint on the side to test but sadly it stopped working.

Unless I can find a solid fix to Mint, I'd rather not take the risk. I still have warranty, would you know if sending this back is good idea? I've never used a warranty in my life so I'm not sure if this applies. The Lenovo tech don't seem to no too much about my issue.

To-the-point answers to your question:
a/ Yes currently dual booting win10 and Mint using UEFI
Previously stand alone Mint with Legacy
b/ Not unless I can get a solid fix, I don't want to lose my computer.
syeager
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syeager »

I have been installing different linux distros on my HP Envy and all have the same problem: sleep once, fine; sleep again, and it will not recover with a black screen, where upon on reboot (the only option with a hardware reboot) i get the error message 'boot script table modified'. Not only does this happen to linux distros, i have had it happen to windows 10 clean install. I just installed windows 10 to an ssd and added bodhi linux as a uefi boot. Just put windows to sleep (for the first time after rebooting) after playing an old XP game (Neverwinter Nights) and it gave the same problem. Does that help you analyze it? I can test theories, if anyone has one.

OK, i tried ubuntu, thinking that i heard they paid microsoft for uefi, so maybe it would handle awaking from sleep better. No it doesn't. Then i tried robolinux, which is a debian release but also booted up with the cd with a legacy boot instead of uefi booting from the cd, and it can sleep just fine. i am assuming it is the legacy boot. Thoughts?

Now i have tried sabayon (gentoo base) and it did not sleep correctly at all. Will try a different debia, probably sparkylinux.

Bodhi linux had a post saying you needed pm-utils. looked on robolinux and it did have pm-utils. i am having difficulty testing it because one of my linux installs corrupted my grub2 and now it wont boot to linux at all. hope to resolve that tonight so i can keep testing.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

FYI, I reported on my experience with this same problem here before I saw this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=227168 Some think this was specific to Lenovo notebooks but it's enlightening to see that you had this problem with HP Notebooks as well.
Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15, Windows 10, Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19.24-1 MX-Linux 18.1 Lenovo Ideapad G50-45 8GB
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 WiFi

Return to “Installation & Boot”