How do i install mint without burning to a CD?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Justalinuxuser

How do i install mint without burning to a CD?

Post by Justalinuxuser »

When i was learning how to install Mint, i found out that you need to boot from a CD and install it from the CD. However, when i try to burn the ISO, my ISO will fail to burn. And all my USB ports have been used for my mouse, keyboard, and Headphones (Didn't want to pay that much for speakers). How do i install mint without booting from a CD or USB? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Hoq do i install mint without burning to a CD?

Post by Reorx »

Unplug your headphones (temporarily)... Burn a bootable USB stick and install using the USB stick!

Of course, if you don't want to do that, what other boot options do you have besides DVD and USB???
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What does "ISO will fail to burn" exactly?
In case you should really have used a CD-R media, you used the wrong media. You need a DVD.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

To expand on what Cosmo said
Cosmo. wrote:In case you should really have used a CD-R media, you used the wrong media. You need a DVD.
A CD will only hold ~700MB. As the LM ISO is in excess of 1.3GB, you need to write the ISO to a DVD (which has a capacity of ~4.7GB).

When you burn the ISO, do NOT attempt to unpack the ISO and write the files to the DVD. Instead, use the ISO burning option of your favorite CD/DVD writing software.
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do i install mint without burning to a CD?

Post by Radish »

As Cosmo says, you shouldn't be trying to burn the iso to a CD. There is way too much data inside the iso to burn to a CD. You need to burn to a DVD.

Couple of questions:

(1) Are you trying to burn the iso from inside a Linux or a Windows system?
(2) What burning software are using?
(3) Are you trying to burn the "linux.iso" direct to the disk as a file in its own right?
(4) Are you trying to burn the content of the "linux.iso" to the disk using the appropriate selection in your burning software?
(5) When you say the burn fails you really need to provide more detail. What exactly did you do, how did you attempt to do the burn? What exactly happened when the burn failed (what exactly were the error messages you were getting)?

To get the best help out of forums you really need to be very logical in explaining exactly what you are trying to do and provide details like operating system and software being used, the exact steps you took and what exactly went wrong. Sometimes, to force my way of thinking to suit this requirement for exact detail, I do it in the form of a numbered list and just step-by-step go through the process of what I'm trying to do and describe in the list exactly what I tried to do and exactly what the result was. If you get into the habit of doing this people will be able to help much more readily because you are providing the kind of detail needed to help.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can boot the .iso file from the hard drive without any DVD or USB.
If you have Linux Mint:
Boot a Mint .iso from your hard drive using grml-rescueboot
Boot a Mint .iso from your hard drive using Grub2

If you have Windows you can use UNetbootin's "Frugal Install":
UNetbootin can create a bootable Live USB drive, or it can make a "frugal install" on your local hard disk if you don't have a USB drive. It loads distributions either by downloading a ISO (CD image) files for you, or by using an ISO file you've already downloaded.
A "frugal install" modifies the bootloader of your Windows allowing you to boot a .iso file from the hard drive instead of using a DVD or usb drive.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Frugal install from Windows with Unetbootin
Works for WinXP or Win7 or Win8.
Here are the steps for the "frugal install":
1. Download Unetbootin (Windows version) and install it .
2. Copy the Linux .iso file to a directory on your internal hard disk, on the Windows partition (C Drive)
3. Run Unetbootin and browse to the directory containing the Linux iso, select it
4. On the last line in the image, you see Type - you should select Hard Disk . - then click OK
5. unetbootin will admend the Windows boot menu - placing the option to boot the iso on the boot menu
6. reboot, and on the Windows boot menu select the line that reads 'Unetbootin'. It should boot the Linux iso and run just as if you booted a live DVD or usb.
(credit wayne128)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 22#p847222
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122187

There is one note-worthy fact about this "frugal install". It is great for a dual-boot installation because it is (almost) impossible to install to the partition the .iso is on, if you are installing Mint. So if the .iso file is on the same partition as your Windows operating system it is impossible to mess up that Windows partition. The exception to this is with certain .iso's that are constructed to always load entirely into ram, like Parted Magic, Slitaz, Puppy Linux, and DSL.

You will get a pop-up message during Mint's installation warning you that you have mounted partitions, and asking if you want to unmount them - reply NO.
If you reply YES and try to unmount, the installer program will close, because your operating system (the Mint .iso) is on the mounted partition, and cannot run if it is unmounted - this making it impossible to install to that Windows partition.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Justalinuxuser

Post by Justalinuxuser »

That only gave me a boot error, anything else i can do? I will delete the Windows folder if i need to! (I'm doing it now)

Return to “Beginner Questions”