Why is there no Linux Mint network install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jez9999
Level 1
Level 1

Why is there no Linux Mint network install?

Post by jez9999 »

I'm rather surprised that Linux Mint, in this day and age, tells you to download an ISO and burn it to a freaking DVD. What if you have no DVD burner or DVD handy? Optical media is pretty ancient nowadays.

Years ago, Debian had a network install available - that's how I installed Debian on my current Linux box. I know this is a simple question, but why doesn't Linux Mint offer a simple similar network install? Just a stub bootable USB stick that will download the necessary stuff from the internet. Is there some technical reason why this is possible for Debian but not Mint?
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Why is there no Linux Mint network install?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Most of people install using DVD or USB, but you could make a network install media. :wink:
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Why is there no Linux Mint network install?

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't know the answer. Perhaps the reason is, that the network adapter does not work on any computer out of the box, just an idea. With a simple boot-stick the chances for failing are probably even higher or the boot-stick would again be a rather extravagant thing.

But did you notice, that you can set the ISO also on an USB-stick instead of burning it to the dvd? A network connection would be slower to copy the installation files to the target.

Return to “Installation & Boot”