How to install ThinkorSwim

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
deltajent
Level 1
Level 1

How to install ThinkorSwim

Post by deltajent » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm a newbie migrating from Windows to Linux and am in the process of installing all the apps that I use while I dual boot until I figure it all out.

I was having trouble with ThinkorSwim that I use with my TDAmeritrade account. I installed ToS from the TDAmeritrade site and it opened OK but then locked up and wouldn't move past the "Installing Updates" opening screen. I couldn't find anything on the forums that exactly fit so I called TDAmeritrade's tech help and they told me I needed to install java 8 and make it the default. When I did that everything worked like a charm.

Here's the link I found:
https://mediaserver.thinkorswim.com/ins ... stall.html

and here's the text [Note: the original text refers to java 7 but since I was told that I needed java8 I made the appropriate changes below]:

Linux Instructions:
Thinkorswim needs java 8 to run. To install Oracle java 8 on the machine:
1. sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

To install Thinkorswim:
1. Click "Install thinkdesktop" to download the thinkorswim installer to a directory on your PC.
https://mediaserver.thinkorswim.com/ins ... staller.sh
2. After downloading open a shell and CD to the directory where you downloaded the installer.
3. At the prompt type: sh ./thinkorswim_installer.sh
Note: For clients who intend to run the software on Linux, Solaris or other Unix variants, manual update of the software may be required on these systems and we have no official support for configuring these operating systems.
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to install ThinkorSwim

Post by xenopeek » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Moved your post here as you had posted it on a 4 year old topic about LMDE and besides LMDE being obsolete it isn't compatible with PPAs. Clarified you mean Oracle Java 8 as Linux Mint uses OpenJDK Java by default (there is also PPA for getting OpenJDK Java 8: https://launchpad.net/~openjdk-r/+archive/ubuntu/ppa). Anyway, welcome to the Linux Mint forums and thanks for taking the time to write down this information for other users!

Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 am

Thank you, deltajent, for posting this tutorial. More than 2 years after posting, it is still valid and helpful.

I have verified that Oracle Java 1.8.0 is properly installed and is the default by using the following command I got from an Ubuntu site:
java -version

I need clarification on the following step to complete the installation:
"After downloading open a shell and CD to the directory where you downloaded the installer."
What is meant by "open a shell?" I have downloaded thinkorswim (it is sitting in my Downloads folder).
I have created a thinkorswim folder under the following directory structure:
/home/a/thinkorswim

All assistance will be greatly appreciated.
LO 6.x on Mint 18.2 Cinnamon
In a world without walls, who needs Windows

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:17 am

Out of curiosity, what is "Think or Swim?" I'm guessing it's some form of brain game?
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:52 pm

thinkorswim is an Ameritrade options trading platform.
LO 6.x on Mint 18.2 Cinnamon
In a world without walls, who needs Windows

timmy96815
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timmy96815 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Crusader wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 am
Thank you, deltajent, for posting this tutorial. More than 2 years after posting, it is still valid and helpful.

I have verified that Oracle Java 1.8.0 is properly installed and is the default by using the following command I got from an Ubuntu site:
java -version

I need clarification on the following step to complete the installation:
"After downloading open a shell and CD to the directory where you downloaded the installer."
What is meant by "open a shell?" I have downloaded thinkorswim (it is sitting in my Downloads folder).
I have created a thinkorswim folder under the following directory structure:
/home/a/thinkorswim

All assistance will be greatly appreciated.
open a shell
ctrl + alt + t

Return to “Tutorials”