Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
fainec
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by fainec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 am

Hello everyone,

I just upgrade my laptop which was in Linux Mint 17.3 to Linux Mint 18, everything works fine except one thing: I got screen tearing and I can't remove it.
So, on my laptop I got a nvidia GTX850 card, previously on Linux Mint 17.3 it worked without tearing by having this lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code: Select all

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
However now in Linux Mint 18, even if I add this lines, the screen tearing won't go.
I also tried many others solution like running this command:

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings -a 'CurrentMetaMode=nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }'
or

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="eDP-1:1600x900+0+0 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }"
But nothing works.

Otherwise with nouveau driver the problem gone away, but I need to use the proprietary drivers.
Please can you help me, it's driving me insane.

Thank you :)

Specs:
Laptop Asus R752L
8Go Ram
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U
GPU: GTX850M
OS: Linux Mint 18 64bit Cinnamon edition
Driver used: Nvidia-361

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13517
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 am

What version of the closed Nvidia driver did you use in Mint 17.3? If another (older?) version, try the same version in 18.

You might also disable some 3D visual effects in Cinnamon:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... al-effects
(item 6, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

fainec
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by fainec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:19 am

Hello Pjotr,
I tried with the closed driver nvidia-352 and the ForceFullCompositionPipeline line of xorg.cong but nothing new.
I also tried to disable 3D setting of cinnamon, thanks to your guide, but here again there is still screen tearing.

However, thanks for your answer :)

fainec
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by fainec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Okay I finnaly downgrade to linux mint 17.3. Althought I was wrong when I speak about ForceFullCompositionPipeline, there is no need of this line.

However there is a line that does the trick in screen section(but only on 17.3, I tested on LM 18 and it does not work)

Code: Select all

[b]Option "TearFree" "on"[/b]
I left the screen section of my xorg.conf it may help someone from that tearing hell.

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
    Option "TripleBuffer" "On"
    #Option "metamodes" "1600x900_60 +0+0; {ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On}, viewportin=1600x900, viewportout=1600x900+0+0"
    Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by DeMus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Have left this forum.
Last edited by DeMus on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fainec
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by fainec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Yeah I presume your GC is on pc desktop (mine is in the laptop). I heard on GamingOnLinux that laptop using a nvidia graphic card and PRIME haven't vsync support yet, and that's why ForceFullCompositionPipeline isn't useful.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/ ... 2#comments

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by DeMus » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:11 am

Have left this forum.
Last edited by DeMus on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ascaris
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Ascaris » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 am

Is it just in Firefox by any chance?

I had generalized tearing with my Nvidia using the prop drivers too, but the usual tricks (like in this thread so far) took care of that, except in FF... at first I assumed I was still getting system-wide tearing, but it was FF itself. The solution to that is in the software forum in a thread with a title like "why is hardware acceleration disabled in firefox" or something similar. I can't remember exactly at the moment; I will find it if necessary.
Main PC: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus P8P67 Deluxe/i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Laptop: Mint 19 Xfce/ Acer Swift 1 13.3"
Older laptop: Mint 19 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus F8Sn with 8GB, SSD, GT220m GPU

fainec
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by fainec » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 pm

No it was on all software. However, the tearing problem may be caused because of nvidia-prime (thanks to others forum), I will try to use bumblebee instead in the following days and post the result.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Yfrwlf » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Ascaris wrote:Is it just in Firefox by any chance?

I had generalized tearing with my Nvidia using the prop drivers too, but the usual tricks (like in this thread so far) took care of that, except in FF... at first I assumed I was still getting system-wide tearing, but it was FF itself. The solution to that is in the software forum in a thread with a title like "why is hardware acceleration disabled in firefox" or something similar. I can't remember exactly at the moment; I will find it if necessary.
Wow, thanks for the info, let me explain what's going on here for some of those reading this thread...

Linux Mint had put a stop to all tearing in all applications by default for most cards. I'm the one who actually poked the Linux Mint devs to implement it, and they implemented that and put the option in Settings > General > Disable compositing for full-screen windows. There were apparently some chipsets where the screen tearing didn't get stopped, but normally by default, for MOST USERS, from a fresh installation, you should have no reason to make any config file tweaks as you should have no tearing at all. I'd advise you to try a fresh installation and check if tearing is gone already before trying to make any additional tweaks. Fainec probably is using one of the drivers that doesn't work with the Muffin change the Mint devs made to implement tear-free.

With 18 I too noticed that tearing was back in Firefox. Is this the thread you meant?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=225420&p=1189192

Looks like the solution is to start Firefox with: env MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 firefox

Could just edit the launch icon.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Yfrwlf » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Yep, changed my Firefox launch icon command to:

env MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 firefox %u

and tearing is gone.

berkiy0
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:51 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by berkiy0 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:05 pm

I too am getting screen tearing and low performance. Cinnamon 3.0.7 should be faster than it is. Also the tear is diagonal.

Specs: i3 3227u, 12gb ram, 240gb ssd

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13517
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:31 am

berkiy0 wrote:I too am getting screen tearing and low performance. Cinnamon 3.0.7 should be faster than it is. Also the tear is diagonal.

Specs: i3 3227u, 12gb ram, 240gb ssd
I also had this in Mint 18 Cinnamon: a diagonal tear. I don't have this problem in Mint 18 Xfce....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Ascaris
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Ascaris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:18 am

Yfrwlf wrote:Yep, changed my Firefox launch icon command to:

env MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 firefox %u

and tearing is gone.
Yes, that was the thread I was thinking about. Glad it helped!
Main PC: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus P8P67 Deluxe/i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Laptop: Mint 19 Xfce/ Acer Swift 1 13.3"
Older laptop: Mint 19 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus F8Sn with 8GB, SSD, GT220m GPU

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Yfrwlf » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Ascaris wrote:
Yfrwlf wrote:Yep, changed my Firefox launch icon command to:

env MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 firefox %u

and tearing is gone.
Yes, that was the thread I was thinking about. Glad it helped!
Doesn't seem to have completely gotten rid of it, but mostly. Very strange. Either way I hope this behavior gets reverted in the future as no tearing in any app is a killer feature of Mint in my opinion! :D

User avatar
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Portreve » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 pm

This thread got me to thinking because I don't have an nVidia graphics card, but I do get a fair amount of screen tearing, and I'm pretty well sick of it.

I found a solution to this for those of us with Intel chipset graphics cards. I'm going to write out the directions here so that basically anyone of any knowledge level can follow them.

Create a Intel graphics-specific configuration file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, and title it "20-intel.conf":

Step 1: Open your terminal emulator, and enter the following command:

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf


Step 2: Copy from here and paste into nano, using [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [V]:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection
The reason I added emphasis above to [SHIFT] is that straight [CTRL] + [V] will not work as you think in a terminal window. It tries to send CTRL + V directly to the program you're running.

Step 3: Exit nano, saving changes:

[CTRL] + [X], y for "Yes, save changes", and [ENTER] to execute this.


Step 4:

exit [ENTER] to close the terminal window.

Step 5: Restart your computer.

Step 6: There is noooooooo... step number six.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Ascaris
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Ascaris » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:18 am

Yfrwlf wrote:Doesn't seem to have completely gotten rid of it, but mostly. Very strange. Either way I hope this behavior gets reverted in the future as no tearing in any app is a killer feature of Mint in my opinion! :D
I did have some tearing in Cinnamon in programs other than Firefox with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, but some of the usual settings for Ubuntu/Mint to take care of that seem to have worked, as I have not seen tearing in a long while (and I am really sensitive to it, so I'd be very likely to notice it).

A decent write-up can be found at:

viewtopic.php?t=174237&start=20
Main PC: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus P8P67 Deluxe/i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Laptop: Mint 19 Xfce/ Acer Swift 1 13.3"
Older laptop: Mint 19 Cinnamon & Windows 8.1/ Asus F8Sn with 8GB, SSD, GT220m GPU

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Yfrwlf » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Ascaris wrote:
Yfrwlf wrote:Doesn't seem to have completely gotten rid of it, but mostly. Very strange. Either way I hope this behavior gets reverted in the future as no tearing in any app is a killer feature of Mint in my opinion! :D
I did have some tearing in Cinnamon in programs other than Firefox with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, but some of the usual settings for Ubuntu/Mint to take care of that seem to have worked, as I have not seen tearing in a long while (and I am really sensitive to it, so I'd be very likely to notice it).

A decent write-up can be found at:

viewtopic.php?t=174237&start=20
Cool I will try more fixes if I find any more tearing, thanks! For me the only tearing seemed to have been in Firefox, and it now seems to have been fixed by setting:

Code: Select all

gfx.xrender.enabled;true
in about:config. I have smooth scrolling turned on and so far I haven't noticed any tearing, so for anyone else who only has the issue with Firefox, give it a try!

User avatar
cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:09 am
Location: United States

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by cogsncogs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 pm

Yfrwlf wrote: Cool I will try more fixes if I find any more tearing, thanks! For me the only tearing seemed to have been in Firefox, and it now seems to have been fixed by setting:

Code: Select all

gfx.xrender.enabled;true
in about:config. I have smooth scrolling turned on and so far I haven't noticed any tearing, so for anyone else who only has the issue with Firefox, give it a try!
I've been experiencing diagonal screen tearing in Firefox on LM18 Cinnamon on my machine that has integrated Intel graphics. This appears to have fixed it. Thanks! :)
eMachines EL1852G-52w:
LM19.1 Xfce
Kubuntu 18.04.2
LM18.3 Cinnamon
Ubuntu 14.04
PepermintOS 6
LM18.3 KDE
Xubuntu 14.04
Ubuntu 16.04.2 Mate

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Screen tearing on Linux Mint 18

Post by Yfrwlf » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 pm

cogsncogs wrote:
Yfrwlf wrote: Cool I will try more fixes if I find any more tearing, thanks! For me the only tearing seemed to have been in Firefox, and it now seems to have been fixed by setting:

Code: Select all

gfx.xrender.enabled;true
in about:config. I have smooth scrolling turned on and so far I haven't noticed any tearing, so for anyone else who only has the issue with Firefox, give it a try!
I've been experiencing diagonal screen tearing in Firefox on LM18 Cinnamon on my machine that has integrated Intel graphics. This appears to have fixed it. Thanks! :)
Glad to hear it! I wonder why this is needed in Mint 18 though, or if it's something recent in Firefox that changed.

Post Reply

Return to “Cinnamon”