How to verify the ISO on Windows?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Dennish
Level 1
Level 1

How to verify the ISO on Windows?

Post by Dennish » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:53 pm

I am trying to get started. I have downloaded the .ISO file. I am trying to verify the file prior to burning a DVD. The Linux website uses a gpg command but my windows XP OS does not have this. Do I have to download this from somewhere?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to verify the ISO on Windows?

Post by xenopeek » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:03 am

The verify steps are written I think with only Linux and similar operating systems in mind, that have standard tools like this. There is https://www.gpg4win.org/ to get GPG on Windows. You'll also need a program for Windows to calculate the SHA256 checksum. This one was reported to work: http://www.labtestproject.com/files/win ... 256sum.exe. You could just calculate the SHA256 checksum and compare the result with the values in this file: http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint. ... 256sum.txt

I've updated your topic title so perhaps somebody more knowledgeable about Windows can also help out.

That was one of the reasons for me to leave Windows actually; for every trivial thing I'd want to do I would have to go and find some software for it on the Internet, download it, go through the stupid "accept EULA - next - next - next - finish" pointless install procedure, and hope it wasn't malware or trialware. Ugh. :lol:

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:05 am

xenopeek

Due to the constant CRC error checking wouldn't Bittorent be the safest way of downloading Mint as it would be hard for someone to alter the official torrent ISO?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:03 am

Yes I would recommend downloading through torrent. Not least of which being it has error detection during download and will automatically redownload parts with errors. Downloading through your web browser doesn't do this as well.

Dennish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dennish » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am

I have used md5sum to verify the iso file and it fails. I have downloaded the iso file again from a different server and it fails again but with the sane code. Is it possible that the code on the md5sum.txt is wrong for 18-mate-32bit?

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 am

Dennish wrote:I have used md5sum to verify the iso file and it fails. ... Is it possible that the code on the md5sum.txt is wrong for 18-mate-32bit?
Where are you finding a md5sum.txt file for Linux Mint 18? I thought only SHA256 hashes were published as of the latest release.

Joe

Dennish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dennish » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:55 am

Thank you Joe. I have used the sha256sum and it verifies. :D Now onto the next stage.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:48 pm

You can just use MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility...

A quite light and simple Windows tool with no install, just double-click on the .exe :)
MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility is a tool that allows you to generate CRC32, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512 hashes of single or multiple files. You can also verify hashes with the matching file to ensure the file integrity is correct.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Newbie Questions”