Cinnamon Shutter and screenshot keybindings

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
naftahorn

Cinnamon Shutter and screenshot keybindings

Post by naftahorn »

Just thought I'd put this out there ... if you want to replace gnome-screenshot's default bindings for the PrtScr button, cause shutter is preferable ... then do the following:
  1. open System Settings - keyboard - shortcuts - System - Screenshots
  2. click "Take a screenshot of an area" and then in the keyboard bindings section select the existing binding and click <backspace> to remove the binding
  3. click "Take a screenshot" and then in the keyboard bindings section select the existing binding and click <backspace> to remove the binding
  4. click "Take a screenshot of a window" and then in the keyboard bindings section select the existing binding and click <backspace> to remove the binding
Now I will assume that you've already installed Shutter.
  1. open System Settings - keyboard - shortcuts - Custom Shortcuts
  2. click "Add custom shortcut" and Name it something like "Area Screenshot" and the command is "shutter -s"
  3. click on the first bindings slot and press <shift>+<print> at the same time
  4. click "Add custom shortcut" and Name it something like "Full Screenshot" and the command is "shutter -f"
  5. click on the first bindings slot and press <print>
  6. click "Add custom shortcut" and Name it something like "Window Screenshot" and the command is "shutter -w"
  7. click on the first bindings slot and press <alt>+<print> at the same time ... for me this binding would NOT work. No matter how i tried to press the key combination. Just couldn't get the binding to stick. So therefore I closed up the Keyboard applet/window/popup/whatever-u-wanna-call-it and i did the ol' <ALT>+F2 and ran the "r" command to restart cinnamon. then I opened the dconf-editor and went to org.cinnamon.desktop.keybindings.custom-keybindings and therein i saw my 2 new entries. I then selected the entry that coincided with "Window Screenshot" and entered the following as my binding (i.e. typed by hand) ['<Alt>Print']
Voila! Gold!
dillbeans
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon Shutter and screenshot keybindings

Post by dillbeans »

This is the best. Thank you for walking through this solution. I used Greenshot in Windows and was dissatisfied with the screenshot tool in Mint. Setting up the keyboard shortcuts was the final step to getting Shutter to do what I want it to do, when & how I want. Much appreciated! :D

Return to “Cinnamon”