Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Everything I read isn't working

Post by Jimmmac1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Good afternoon.

I have been at this for two hours and haven't been able to get anywhere. I bought a Dell Inspiron 3650 this morning. I downloaded my Linux Mint 18 64 bit iso, and used the Windows 10 utility to burn it to a DVD (if it did burn it. It just looks copied). This did have uefi turned on, so I changed it to legacy on both settings and asked it to boot from the DVD first. All I get when I try to boot after changing the settings is 'No boot device available'. When I change it back to UEFI, then I am able to boot into Windows 10. Help !! I have tried looking up on the web and nothing is working. I also tried burning it to a usb drive and got the same results. Need help on this quickly. Thanks.

Jim Macdonald
<moderator on> E-Mail address removed to protect you from attracting spammers </moderator off>

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Everything I read isn't working

Post by Flemur » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:32 pm

It just looks copied
First I'd make sure you put the ISO on the DVD correctly.

A Mint 18 DVD which works:

Code: Select all

$ pwd
/media/<username>/Linux Mint 18 MATE 64-bit
$  ls 
EFI  MD5SUMS  README.diskdefines  boot  casper  dists  isolinux  pool  preseed
Open the DVD in Windows and see what's on it; if you see a "filename.iso" rather than something like the above, you just copied the ISO file and it's not bootable.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi Flemur

Thanks for your response. Yep, it just did copy it. Since I am in the Windows world right now and can't escape, any ideas on what I can download to burn it rather than copy it? Thanks again.

Jim

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 pm

1) Mint can run and install in UEFI mode so leave the BIOS set to UEFI.

2) You will need unused space on the HD to install Mint to. Win disk manager will show you the partitioning of the HD. If there is no unused space, you will have to make some by either deleting or shrinking 1 or more partitions. Do you know how to do this?

3) Whenever you muck around with (manipulate) partitions, you should have a good backup of all important data BEFORE mucking begins... Caveat Mucker!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Hello @ Jimmmac1 - I've always had good luck using ImgBurn. The instructions and download link can be found here: https://neosmart.net/wiki/burning-iso-i ... h-imgburn/ No installation is required - just double-click the file and off you go.

NOTE: DO NOT download ImgBurn from any other link! I've found that a lot of software sites bundle malware/spyware along with a copy of ImgBurn. This is THE ONLY link I trust!
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. Well I used imageburn and it worked well. But I am STILL not able to install Linux Mint 18 on my computer. I downloaded another just in case I got a bad one. It was the same size as the first one that I got. I turned off the UEFI so that I could boot from the cd drive and I just keep getting the message that there is nothing to boot from. So I change it back to UEFI and Windows comes up. I am at a loss as to what to do, and there is nowhere else to turn. This box just won't let me install Mint.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:57 pm

What is "Secure Boot" set to?

Image Image

Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi everyone.

I finally got it and it is now installed. Thanks for all the help.

Jim

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:23 pm

Mind revealing your secret to other users with the same or similar problem? :shock:

Image Image

Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:05 am

Hi Reorx.

Most certainly. Windows 10 has a real funky way of trying to burn a cd. It is really poor. And I think I may have gotten a bad download on the iso. I used imgburn to burn a new iso that I downloaded. Then when I rebooted, I didn't try to change the cmos settings with UEFI by pressing f2, instead I pressed f12 and simply selected the cd for the boot option. The wonderful Mint logo started up and I was on my way. I installed from the cd and am now up and running. The only issue that I still had is that I had to press f12 and choose the hard drive in order to get to Mint.
So I turned off UEFI and rebooted and it went right into Mint without pressing f12. So to get to Windows 10, I now have to press f12 and choose Windows boot manager (if I remember the name right). I am not sure what happened to grub, but over the last 6 months with my old computer I rarely went up to Windows 7 to do anything. So I can work on that later. My new computer is a Dell Inspiron 3650 in case anyone has a Dell with this problem. Thanks again for all the help.

Jim

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:39 am

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

ImpulZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImpulZ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 am

Heyho

Why did you turn off UEFI (or turned on CSM)?

If I were you I would reinstall Mint using this guideline:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

With both OSs installed in UEFI-Mode you will see the Grub at startup giving you the option wether you like to boot windows or Mint.
To Err is Human - to Arr is Pirate

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:00 am

ImpulZ wrote:Heyho

Why did you turn off UEFI (or turned on CSM)?

If I were you I would reinstall Mint using this guideline:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

With both OSs installed in UEFI-Mode you will see the Grub at startup giving you the option wether you like to boot windows or Mint.
This! and - #1 in my first post >>>
Reorx wrote:1) Mint can run and install in UEFI mode so leave the BIOS set to UEFI.

Image Image

Jimmmac1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jimmmac1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi Reorx.

I read most of the links and I think I found the problem with most of them that wasn't mentioned. I couldn't install while UEFI was enabled because it only gave one option for booting, which was the Windows Boot Manager. I had to f12 into the boot options menu to boot off the DVD to be able to install Mint. Even after I installed Linux, UEFI still only had one option, the Windows Boot Manger, which was unchangeable. There were two options underneath it, which were network enabled boot, both also unchangeable, but I am not sure what that was about. When I turned off UEFI, it automatically went to the disk boot manager, which after installing Mint was Mint. So it boots directly into Mint. I turned UEFI on and the only option again was the Windows Boot Manager. So right now the only way to get directly into Mint directly is to turn off UEFI. To turn it back on, I would only be able to get into Windows. So to get to Windows, I press f12 to get to the boot options menu, choose Windows Boot manager and it goes into Win 10. This may be a feature of my machine, or it could be a new wrinkle put in by Dell/Microsoft/UEFI, I am not sure. Any comments would be more that welcome, because I would like to set up a Grub dual boot somehow rather than having the f12 route. Thanks all.

Jim

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:38 pm

It seems you have installed Mint in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode, with Windows installed in UEFI mode.
The best thing to do is to re-install Mint, making sure that it is installed in UEFI mode. This depends on your boot settings, and you will have to explore your computer's settings until you find the right one. If you can't succeed with the DVD, you might have to switch to a USB.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”