Should I install/update the Linux Kernel?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Should I install/update the Linux Kernel?

Post by James_Smith »

I'm still kind of a newbie, even though I've been doing the Linux thing for over a year now.

Since I've gone with LM18, I've seen this on my update manager. It's level 5, so I never updated it, but it's the Linux Kernel. I mean, that sounds pretty important!

The only reason I haven't is because of those 'you might break your system' warnings.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Should I install/update the Linux Kernel?

Post by all41 »

From clem himself:
Upgrade for a reason!
If it's not broke don't fix it.

If you do install the new kernel and experience unexpected problems
you can always revert to your present kernel at the grub screen
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Isn't there some kind of a vulnerability with the default kernel (4.4.0-21) in Mint 18? I upgraded to 4.4.0-31 when it came out and haven't had any problems. (I always upgrade when a newer kernel comes out and never had problems; but then again I haven't been using Linux that long.)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yes, there are several security issues with the -21 kernel, and you should update to the -31 kernel. I have Mint 18 (both Cinnamon and Mate) running in VirtualBox and have updated to -31 on both of those. Also, I have installed 18 on computers for several friends of mine, and update those to -31 also.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

jimallyn wrote:Yes, there are several security issues with the -21 kernel, and you should update to the -31 kernel. I have Mint 18 (both Cinnamon and Mate) running in VirtualBox and have updated to -31 on both of those. Also, I have installed 18 on computers for several friends of mine, and update those to -31 also.
I read this and thought, "Great! When I get back to my computer, I'll update the kernel!" Unlike when I was a Windows user, I'm happy to update stuff now

I arrived back at my office and was all prepared to do the update when I saw this warning:

"The Linux Kernel is responsible for hardware and drivers support. Note that this update will not remove your existing kernel. You will still be able to boot with the current kernel by choosing the advanced options in your boot menu. Please be cautious though.. kernel regressions can affect your ability to connect to the Internet or to log in graphically. DKMS modules are compiled for the most recent kernels installed on your computer. If you are using proprietary drivers and you want to use an older kernel, you will need to remove the new one first."

I'm trying to translate this into moron so that I might better understand what's going on. If I do this update, before shutting off my computer, I must go to Menu > System Settings > ? I tried to find boot manager, but I didn't see it. Is that the same as Login Window? No, it couldn't be... could it?

Ok, so after I figure out what boot manager is, what then?

Can someone give me a step-by-step?
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

No, you don't have to do anything before you turn off the computer. The next time you boot the computer, it will automatically boot into the most recent kernel. You can get into the boot manager to select the old kernel if that's what you want to do, but if you are happy with the newly installed kernel, there is nothing you have to do.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
mts

Post by mts »

@jimallyn

Thanks very much for the heads up.
A Quick search for Linux kernel patches for Ubuntu 16.04 gets good information.
While I can appreciate Clem's "if it ain't broke statement" Mint should really inform it's users somehow of such vulnerabilities.
Most Mint users are told not to update the kernel and are therefore at risk.

Personally I don't think that is good enough when security issues need to be patched.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3006-1/
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3016-4/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/canonica ... 5720.shtml

Cheers!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

New kernels with security fixes, show up by default in Update Manager when you've selected the default update policy "Optimize stability and security" or the update policy "Always update everything". They're only invisible in the update policy "Don't break my computer!" So it's up to you, which policy you select.

You should consider this, however: newer kernels may contain security fixes, but the question is: how relevant are those security fixes for Linux-on-the-desktop? In my experience: usually not, or hardly. While there's a definite risk that a newer kernel breaks things.

So that's why I think it's a good idea that you don't get to see new kernels, when you select the most cautious update policy "Don't break my computer!".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”