NX server on Mint 6 XFCE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ianjb
Level 1
Level 1

NX server on Mint 6 XFCE?

Post by ianjb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm trying to run NoMachine's NX server (the free version) on Mint 6 XFCE and have run into a problem which I'm hoping someone else has seen.

I installed the client, node and server from the NoMachine's website using the .deb package and then created a system level user as detailed in the NoMachine instructions. I installed the client on a second machine and tried to connect.

The first problem was no ssh connection which I solved by installing open ssh server on the NX server machine. I was then able to connect to the NX server in Xterm mode.

When I tried to connect in Gnome mode I got a message saying that the Gnome session was not available. Not really surprising as Xfce is installed not Gnome! I didn't know which option to use for Xfce so I tried to use the Custom session and selected the "Use default X session". When I tried to connect it looked like it was going to connect by finally ended up with an error pop-up which said that it was unable to use the "/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession". When I looked at the file system there is no "/etc/X11/xdm/" folder. "Xsession" is in "/etc/X11/". I edited the node.cfg file to point tried to "/etc/X11/Xsession" instead of "/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession" hoping that might fix it but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: NX server on Mint 6 XFCE?

Post by merlwiz79 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Sessions are located in /usr/share/xsessions.
Other than that I can't help.
Never used the software.

ianjb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianjb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Well I managed to get it to work. I found this post using google:

http://muzso.hu/2007/05/05/connecting-t ... ing-freenx

In the "unix" & "custom desktop" & "settings" I changed from "Run the default X client script on the server" to "Run the following command" and typed "/usr/bin/xfce4-session" into the input box and clicked ok. In the display section I selected the 800x600 option to make sure I would be able to see all of the display. Save the configuration and connect.

I've been using Remote Desktop Viewer which works well but NX is much more responsive. NX takes longer to start up but once it's going it really is like being at the desktop. With Remote Desktop Viewer you quickly notice the latency.

So to sum up the steps to get NX to work:
1. install openssh-server using synaptic on the Linux Mint XFCE machine you want to connect to.
2. install the free versions of the NX client, node and server using the .deb packages from NoMachine on the Linux Mint XFCE machine you want to connect to.
3. create a system level user on the Linux Mint XFCE machine you want to connect to.
4. install the NX client on the machine you want to connect from.
5. configure the NX client with: the username and password you just created in step 3, the IP of the Linux Mint XFCE machine, the desktop with unix, custom, settings - run command "/usr/bin/xfce4-session".
6. Save the settings, login and enjoy.

There are other thing you will want to play with once it's working like replacing the default key and maybe changing the ports. Hope this helps somebody.

nstefi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nstefi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Hello Ian,

I was also trying to set up NX server (from NoMachine) on a different low footprint Linux distribution and I had the same problem as you, no "/etc/X11/xdm/" folder. "Xsession" is in "/etc/X11/". I was trying to follow your instructions to set custom settings for NX client - run command "/usr/bin/xfce4-session", but I didn't have that file, and tried with "/etc/X11/Xsession" instead.
Now I don't receive any error anymore when I try to connect with NX client, but after it shows the last step "Estabilished the display connection", the window dissapears and nothing shows up. It looks like the application just exits without any error message.
Do you know what I might be doing wrong? I am not so good with Linux, and this distribution was a different one called Peppermint Ice.
I am currently downloadint the Mint 9 Fluxbox and I will try with that too.

Thank you,
Steven

Return to “Xfce”