Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
draw2much
Level 1
Level 1

How to Appimage?

Post by draw2much »

So I like Krita. I like it, preferably, up-to-date. The Software Manager has the old version, not the new one. (And there are substantial improvements between the two.) To get the latest version I've had to use the appimage file type thing. I don't really mind, except I'm not sure what I'm doing. I found an explanation and I did try to follow it... All I ended up getting was the Krita Icon instead of the generic icon thing (though it's still calling itself an appimage).

So now it's there, sitting on my desktop... I prefer everything to be in my menu though. How do I get it there? Did I install it by making it executable? Is it stuck there? Can I move it? Where do I move it to, to get it under Menu>Graphics? If I can do that, will it still say "file.appimage" in my Menu too? Because I find that super annoying!

I'm so use to using the terminal to install things, I don't understand appimage (even though I'm told it's suppose to be easier). This is super sad... :oops:

(Using Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon)
My knowledge level of Linux can best be described as "I can copy & paste things into the Terminal real good!"
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to Appimage?

Post by xenopeek »

draw2much wrote:I found an explanation
That explanation is specific and only applicable to MuseScore AFAIK.

Put the AppImage file in a directory in your home directory where you want to keep it (and if you haven't yet, right-click the file, go to properties, then permissions, and mark to allow it to be executed). Assuming you want a nice icon in your menu download the krita-icon.png I attached and place it in the same directory (right-click the image and select to save it).
krita-icon.png
Now right-click your menu button and select to configure it and from there open the menu editor. Go to the Graphics category on the left hand side and then on the right hand side click New Item. Give it a name and for the command click the Browse button and locate the AppImage file and select that one. Then click the icon on the left hand side browse to where you have the icon file and select it. Done. You now have a menu entry.

Close the menu editor. Open your menu and right-click the launcher you created to add the launcher also to your desktop if you want.
draw2much
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to Appimage?

Post by draw2much »

You wonderful person you! :D Thank you so much! That worked! When I install things via Terminal it does all this for me, so I had no idea how to do it manually!

And by "explanation" I meant how to install an appimage. Though I suppose it'd be more accurate to say you just make the file executable.
My knowledge level of Linux can best be described as "I can copy & paste things into the Terminal real good!"

Return to “Software & Applications”