Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
jjoyceiv
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Fix for screen flickering on Mint 18 + older AMD video cards

Post by jjoyceiv » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi all! The word around the web is "there is no fix for broken old AMD cards on 16.04 derivatives" - I disagree. I installed Mint 18 MATE on a client's older laptop with a Mobility Radeon X1600, and it was tearing/flickering like mad. Almost unusable and certainly not presentable to an end user. After a couple hours' searching, now it's fixed! Here's how I did it:

Searchers please note this applies only to AMD video cards. Be sure to check which driver (radeon vs. amdgpu) is meant to support your card before you try this.

This thread on the Peppermint Linux forums suggests creating a 20-radeon.conf file with certain parameters. I did so, but left out the DRI line because this vintage of card doesn't support it. So, my /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf file reads:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Radeon"
	Driver "radeon"
	Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
        Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection
I also removed the 10-amdgpu.conf file that was already in xorg.conf.d. I'm not certain this helped anything, but it didn't hurt, as the amdgpu driver does not and will never support this card. However, inxi -F previously showed both the "ati" and radeon drivers running for this card, and post-fix only radeon is loaded.

Magic! No nomodeset, no disabled hardware acceleration in browsers or disabling all visual effects in the DE.

Cheers!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”