Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Radeon HD 6450, LM18 Cin, drivers? [SOLVED: use 17.3]

Post by Wade Patton »

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

I tried to follow a youtube video to "install" the drivers for this card, I got a black screen in Cinnamon. Now I don't know how to re-start Cinnamon.

I tried to use the installation CD in W7. It failed. Twice. I used "custom install" because I didn't want the included game to be installed automatically. It "half-installed" and reverts to 800x480 (or something goofy like that) resolution every time I start Windows.

NOW I'm really happy I have triple-OS setup as I'm running in MATE at present, where I didn't mess with installation of anything because I want to keep the system accessible.

JUST when I think I've found the answer here, turns out that _my_ card isn't on the list covered by the process. I have downloaded drivers from AMD and I've tried the install CD. What's next? Seems every answer is to a slightly-different situation that cannot be applied to my case.

I was trying to do right by Linus and avoid Nvidia, but that appears to have been a mistake. I've never had such a miserable time trying to get a hardware update/installation to work as it should.

What to do now? I'm zapped from being up half the night messing with this. But want my Cinnamon back! Do i need all those AMD drivers or is my card working good enough? What does "unloaded: fbdev, vesa" mean?

I'm off work today and am going to make coffee and give this a few more hours. But there is life I need to live as well. THANKS FOR ANY GUIDANCE!!!

I don't know I got out of gaming and overclocking 25 years ago. I forgot a lot and never knew Linux before.
Last edited by Wade Patton on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Radeon HD 6450, LM18 Cin, drivers?

Post by Wade Patton »

I went back and tried to boot Cinnamon recovery. Got some info via screenshots.

Appears to be an "fglrx" problem. (edit: which I read about not being a part of LM18 somewhere in my floundering yesterday)

and the last thing it tells me is:

The x server is now disabled. Restart MDM when it is configured correctly.

and then a blinky cursor and I give it three fingers and restart here in Mate.
Last edited by Wade Patton on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

In the Mint 18 Cinnamon Release Announcement (Mint's main page), Clem writes about AMD dropping their driver support for Linux. Have you read it?

Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade Patton »

I'll go look. But this isn't a bleeding edge card, it's just one step above "on board" graphics. Appears to be three or four "generations" old.

I though the water would be safe (er).

So now nvidia is the preferred graphics device? I has to buy another 30-dollar card? sheez.

Can someone suggest a 30-50 dollar video card with 1G of memory and no fan, low profile, that would work with LM 18 Cinnamon? I had no idea it would be such a nightmare.

OR would it be simpler to install a 17.x version of LM?

(I haven't found those specific release notes yet. I know i read them once but had no graphics card at the time.)

Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade Patton »

AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers

The AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers are not compatible with Xorg 1.18, which is the version used in Linux Mint 18.

These drivers are proprietary and so their code is not available. AMD indicated they no longer wanted to support them and urged their customers to use open-source drivers instead.

If you are using an ATI GPU in Linux Mint 18, the operating system will either select the Radeon or AMDGPU drivers for you, and these are installed by default.
So what do I do? What does this mean? I cannot get the system to see any drivers except the Intel thing just like outlined in one of these "AMD driver fix threads" but that's the one where the guy lists three or four generations of NEWER cards that indicate that mine is too old for that fix.

I just want Cinnamon back. I'll go try "nomodeset" can't hurt.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Or install Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, which can still use the AMD fglrx drivers available in the Driver Manager program. Mint 17.3 is supported until 2019. Plenty of time for AMD to get off their keesters and fix this for their supporters.

Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade Patton »

richyrich wrote:Or install Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, which can still use the AMD fglrx drivers available in the Driver Manager program. Mint 17.3 is supported until 2019. Plenty of time for AMD to get off their keesters and fix this for their supporters.

Thanks. that may be what I do.

Related note, I got it properly installed on W7 now. Did the "manual" type of updating and pointed to the installation disc. First time I've seen the software fully functional.

But at least now I have two safe ways to boot the machine. Was getting nervous about killing it altogether.

ALSO I looked at the commands in the recovery mode Cinnamon 18, and found "nomodeset" is already in there. So I don't see any point in trying that.

No I have to go figure out the best way to downgrade to 17.3 I hate losing data and settings and add-ons, etc., but did make a /home partition last time because it was suggested. I think I see how that works now.

I jump into the middle and work both ways every time.

Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade Patton »

Please anyone find my post on downgrade/rollback.

I've been looking and it's very confusing, seems everyone's case is different.

SOLUTION HERE: going to try 17.3, which I've never seen before.

Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Radeon HD 6450, LM18 Cin, drivers? [SOLVED: use 17.3]

Post by Jedavis1975 »

I actually contacted AMD about this. They seemed unaware of the non-support issue that all distros are saying.

Here is what they emailed me back on 15 Sept 2016 "As new versions of supported Linux distributions are released, there should be support as long as there is no announcement from AMD directly.

Also, support for Linux will continue."

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Radeon HD 6450, LM18 Cin, drivers? [SOLVED: use 17.3]

Post by Habitual »

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=229801#p1215686

"Driver Manager" is the preferred method, I believe, the one recommended anyway.
I use intel, but Radeon should still be suitable usable using XOrg default driver.

Glad you have something working!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”