Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
UncleSpellbinder
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Post by UncleSpellbinder »

Linux Mint 18.

This happens 6 to 10 times daily. Ideas???

A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache

Link to image since the default acceptable image size of 320x240 is FAR too small: http://oi64.tinypic.com/2dhsbxx.jpg
Last edited by UncleSpellbinder on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Post by Cosmo. »

Right click in the folder pane and run the command to start Nemo as administrator. You should no be able to select in the message bar the command to correct the problem.
UncleSpellbinder
Level 1
Level 1

Cosmo. wrote:Right click in the folder pane and run the command to start Nemo as administrator. You should no be able to select in the message bar the command to correct the problem.
Did you look at the image?
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Take a look - yes. Seen anything - no. This is one of those sites, who believe that they have the freedom to execute needless code on user's computer. I don't accept javascript for such simple task like displaying screenshots.
UncleSpellbinder
Level 1
Level 1

I have no clue what that means. What's wrong with a screenshot of this issue at hand???

Anyway - Run Nemo as admin, click "fix now", it's fixed. For a while. Then it happens again. Several times a day.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

delete the .thumbnails folder in your home CREATE a new one name the same including the dot for hidden then DELETE everything in .cache and reboot
UncleSpellbinder
Level 1
Level 1

Went to my home and and clicked "show hidden files". There is no .thumbnails folder.
UncleSpellbinder
Level 1
Level 1

Created a .thumbnails folder, deleted everything in .cache and rebooted. Everything seems good so far. Opened some image folders, my wallpaper folder and such, new thumbnails were generated. No warning. Everything seems good so far.

Thanks trytip!
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

UncleSpellbinder wrote:Created a .thumbnails folder, deleted everything in .cache and rebooted. Everything seems good so far. Opened some image folders, my wallpaper folder and such, new thumbnails were generated. No warning. Everything seems good so far.

Thanks trytip!
In Cinnamon 18.1, default clean install, with Nemo 3.2.2 I'm still running into, as plain User, the same issues as OP has mentioned above, namely:

Code: Select all

A problem has been detected with your thumbnail cache. Fixing it will require administrative privileges.  Fix now, or Dismiss 
Applied fix as mentioned by @trytip.

-> Maybe a more permanent fix for this can now be applied, via an update, from Linuxmint. ?

TY.
LM 20.0 Mate 64bit
nanners
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Post by nanners »

I know this is marked solved, but I wanted to mention that the error happens to me after I download multiple themes and/or icon sets. By the look of your screenshot you are using custom theme options/colors and that might be the reason. The error stops for me after clicking fix, but only if I stop downloading icon sets and such.

Or I could be wrong and you are using Cinnamon on a distro that isn't green by default, but just wanted to mention it.
› Gaming on Linux? It's possible!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198017756928]Image[/url]
sgbeal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sgbeal »

Please edit the subject - this problem is most certainly not solved. It still shows up in 18.1 after trying every solution this forum offers. i don't install themes and icon sets - the recurrence has nothing to do with that. All that's needed in order to trigger it is to move PDF (and/or image?) files around, e.g. from ~/Downloads to ~/Dropbox/...

Do that a few times and the notorious "Fix now" button will appear.

The fact that this bug gets its own UI integration, in the form of a log in as root to "fix" this button, certainly counts as one of the biggest Linux facepalms in my 23 years of using it.

Despite being a happy Mint user since... whenever it was that Ubuntu switched to their weird, A&&le-esque desktop environment... i'm so thoroughly fed up with this one single, completely inexplicable and inexcusable problem that i am now on my way to find a different distro. There is literally no excuse for having to log in as root to fix a user-space problem in a user-space directory, and this problem has been plagued me in Mint since years.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

sgbeal wrote:Please edit the subject - this problem is most certainly not solved. It still shows up in 18.1 after trying every solution this forum offers.
[SOLVED] in this forum does not indicate a general bugfix. It just indicates that the user who posted the topic considers their personal issue solved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Paladin2019
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paladin2019 »

I solved this one by mounting the thumbnail cache to a tmpfs in the RAM. It wipes itself every reboot but that's what I wanted - takes up less room on the disk drive and it's more secure. I added this line to /etc/fstab

tmpfs /home/USERNAME/.cache/thumbnails/ tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,nodev,noexec,size=256M 0 2
You can check your UID and GID by typing id in the terminal but I believe both default to 1000. I limited the size of the file system to 256mb to stop it taking over when I look through my google photos directory!
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I also have this happen sometimes. It does seem to be an issue specific to Cinnamon & Nemo as I've never seen it on KDE with Dolphin or on Xfce - although I haven't used Xfce anything like as much as the other two so can't really qualify that statement. I thought it might be exacerbated by using an NTFS data partition, where most of my images & videos are stored. I sometimes just ignore it, doesn't seem to cause any other problems.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 »

Paladin2019 wrote:I solved this one by mounting the thumbnail cache to a tmpfs in the RAM. It wipes itself every reboot but that's what I wanted - takes up less room on the disk drive and it's more secure. I added this line to /etc/fstab

tmpfs /home/USERNAME/.cache/thumbnails/ tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,nodev,noexec,size=256M 0 2
You can check your UID and GID by typing id in the terminal but I believe both default to 1000. I limited the size of the file system to 256mb to stop it taking over when I look through my google photos directory!
I have this same problem multiple times per day also (Mint 18.1, Cinnamon). I am trying to tidy up years' worth of photos and the thumbnail cache error message pops up every 10 or 20 minutes. Very annoying.
I would love to try what Paladin2019 suggests here, but I don't know what it actually means. Can you please tell me what is a tmpfs? And what is the downside to having the cache in the RAM, and it wiping itself every reboot?

EDIT: I just found out what a tmpfs is on Wikipedia, but I would still appreciate if somebody could please tell me if it's a good idea or not to put the thumbnail cache in tmpfs.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The only disadvantage I can think of is that you'll have to wait for the thumbnails to be created in each directory you open, following a reboot. LM is quick at generating them so probably won't be an issue unless you have a significant number of images (or videos) in each directory.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

FWIW, after moving to an SSD I made
~/.cache/thumbnails
unwritable:

drwx------  2 user user 4096 Feb 12 11:30 thumbnails
No problems.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 »

BG405 wrote:The only disadvantage I can think of is that you'll have to wait for the thumbnails to be created in each directory you open, following a reboot. LM is quick at generating them so probably won't be an issue unless you have a significant number of images (or videos) in each directory.
Thanks BG405. I might give it a try.
goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 »

Flemur wrote:FWIW, after moving to an SSD I made
~/.cache/thumbnails
unwritable:

No problems.
Flemur, I'm interested because I have an SSD, but I don't know what your post means.
What does it mean to make the thumbnail cache "unwritable"? Wouldn't that mean you couldn't have any thumbnails?
What does that code do?
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

goog64 wrote:
Flemur wrote:

Flemur, I'm interested because I have an SSD, but I don't know what your post means.
What does it mean to make something "unwritable"?
What does that code do?
It means nobody can write to it (except root in this case...but that could also be fixed !).

Try this:

mkdir ~/junk
ls > ~/junk/a1
chmod -w ~/junk
ls > ~/junk/a2
rm -r ~/junk
The ls > ~/junk/a1should work fine;
The chmod -w ~/junkmakes that dir not-writeable. (-w = not writable)
The ls > ~/junk/a2 should give an error because it's not writeable.
The rm -r ~/junk should ask about a deleting write-protected file.

Also for the SSD, I made

~/.mozilla -> /mnt/HSYS/mozilla
~/.cache/mozilla -> /mnt/HSYS/mozilla/cache
Namely they're links to directories on an HDD, not on the SSD itself.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Cinnamon”