Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NeilUK
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] - LTSpice IV versus XVII, wine, file saving

Post by NeilUK » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:07 pm

TL;DR solution, use latest wine (1.8 ), not the one that Mint18 defaulted to (1.6) in the safe repos it came with. Add repo ubuntu-wine/ppa, and get some nouveau.

I am running 64bit Mint18 Sarah Mate, on Intel hardware.

I tried to use the latest and greatest LTSpice XVII under wine. While it creates schematics, simulates etc, it cannot load or save files, a rather important issue. I have set wine to present a windows 7, windows 8, and even XP interface to no avail. The filename dialog gui will navigate to folders, accept filenames, but won't save files.

So I've gone back to LTSpice IV, and that works just fine, apart from the dual monitor support that i wanted to use XVII for.

Does XVII have any permissions issues that don't get set correctly? I can't imagine it just 'doesn't work'. In my frustration I kicked XVII off and replaced it with IV as I had work to do, so I don't have it on the machine to try now. Has anybody had or fixed this issue, or tell me where I should be looking (I'm still relatively noob at linux, an XP refugee) before I try again?
Last edited by NeilUK on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LTSpice IV versus XVII, wine, file saving

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:52 pm

NeilUK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeilUK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:11 am

Yes, I read that as well. Perhaps I'll just try again, it may have been a fat finger?

No, XVII still doesn't work with files. I presume it's some sort of permissions thing, but don't know how to investigate further.

Loaded both IV and XVII onto my machine. Set wine to windows 8 mode. (Is there any way I can confirm what interface it's presenting?)

I installed both by leaving the .exe file in /downloads, and rt-click open with wine program loader, accepted default locations, which were in the wine virtual C drive. Everything seemed to happen as expected for the installation process, desktop shortcuts, running program etc.

IV still works OK with win8 wine setting.

XVII is not usable, though I have investigated file loading/saving issues a bit more. It edits schematics, and will run the simulator, at least for trivial circuits that are small enough to bother entering manually.

When I navigate to any .asc file that IV can use and open, when I click open on XVII, it dismisses the gui, no error messages appear, but no schematic is shown, and the file menu doesn't update to add 'save as' items, so I don't think it thinks it has a current file.

When I create a schematic from scratch as 'new schematic', then try a 'save as', the gui gets dismissed, but no file can be found, in spice or with caja.

When I try to quit the program with a new schematic, it asks if I want to save the file before exiting, giving me the suggested path 'c:\users\neil\MyDocuments\LTSpiceXVII\Draft1.asc', which I OK, and a file *is* saved. This file can be found by caja, IV and XVII. It can be opened by IV and shows a valid schematic, but it still cannot be opened by XVII.

Encouraged by this, I created a new schematic, and tried to manually 'save as' at that precise path. I was allowed to navigate there, the gui even showed me that Draft1.asc was in the folder, but 'save as' didn't create a new file. When I exitted the programmed and accepted the autosave, Draft2.asc *was* created.

GUI appearance and behaviour, does this give a clue?

Here is a screen shot of the file gui. I note that the folder path does not appear explicitly. I have never used win8 (or 7 for that matter, I went straight from XP to Mint), so am not sure if this is what I'd expect, or whether that absence is an indicator to what's wrong.

The '+' symbols before collapsed folders in the folder navigation column to the left don't work, I have to double click the folder name in the nav column, or the files column to the right.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:25 am

I don't know this program, so I cannot help you with this.

What I can do is to help to check, if there are permissions issues (your suspicion; although it sounds unlikely):
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.

NeilUK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeilUK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:08 am

Done. Only one line of output!

Code: Select all

neil@i5 ~ $ find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
find: ‘/home/neil/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
My son's on win8, so I'll ask him to install it, and see what it's suppoesd to do / look like

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:00 am

This one entry has not the least relationship to any Windows-program. We can leave it as it is.

NeilUK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeilUK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:30 am

I've just realised I'm running wine 1.6.2, which was what I got when I simply apt-got wine. I understand there are more recent versions in other repos. I've been warned against adding random repos for system stability, does ppa:ubuntu_wine/ppa sound legit? I imagine it would be worth going to the latest , which on a search for wine gives 1.8?

Well, without waiting for an answer, went up to wine 1.8, and it now loads and saves. The gui still does not show a path, or allow the '+' symbols to work in the folder column, but *does* startup with *.asc files selected. So only cosmetic defects.

Return to “Software & Applications”