Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Corrupted Linux Mint install on SSD

Post by applesea »

I recently installed Linuxmint 18.1 on a new SSD alongside windows by partitioning my disk first in Windows and then after in Linux, but after the install is completed, when I try to log in to cinnamon session, I just get a black screen with a curser that never goes away. I never had this issue on my hard drive when I dual booted before and I believe my linux partition is corrupted. I tried 2 installs and both of them had the same issue. During the installation process, I did noticed it told me my disk was corrupted directly and to run fsck directly, but I don't really know what the output meant. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Corrupted Linux Mint install on SSD

Post by applesea »

"Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt"
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action

I chose 1 and it only freezes as soon as it boots. Why is this happening?
Last edited by applesea on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I believe "Dirty bit" is a Windows filesytem problem. Can you boot Windows?
When you have tried 2 Mint installations, it is not likely that it is the Mint partitions that are the problem.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

Oh ok. What do suggest? Reinstall Windows?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

That would be a question for a Windows forum. I am sorry - I don't know anything about Windows.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

OK I tried everything. I reset my BIOS settings making sure fast startup and secure boot is disabled as well as fast startup is disabled as well. The installed didn't even detect that my SSD was mounted so I thought everything was fine. Yet during the install, and yes it was installed on the correct drive, it spit out the same message about the volume not being unmounted correctly and my data may be corrupt even after disabling all these Windows settings and doing a full power off. I have no idea why this is happening. I tried the manual install and the regular install and it is the same issue. I am on the verge of just using Windows if this issue is not fixed soon.

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marlenejo »

That's very similar to my experience installing Cinnamon 18.1 on my laptop SSD (not a dual boot though). The laptop had 17.3 running flawlessly on it and after backing up my partitions (Macrium), I install a fresh 18.1 copy. The installation went fine but black screen on reboot and grinding disk (disk access light). After 2 attempts, I re-image 17.3 back.

While not a fix, don't give up on Linux, but you could try to install cinnamon 17.3. This version works like a charm, can run the same kernel (4.4), is bug free and supported until 2019 (not sure exactly).

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=237328
Linux Mint Cinnamon, AMD FX-6300 (6 x 4Ghz), Nvidia GTX-650 TI, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, SSD Seagate + Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 1GB 7200rpm, Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A.

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

OK. I will try that.

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marlenejo »

applesea wrote:OK. I will try that.
Please report back so we can find the problem in 18.1. Btw what is your SSD brand/size ? Can you tell us how is your drive partition ? It is not that 18.1 doesn't work on SSD but it seems to have issues with some setups (freeze, black screen etc ..). 17.3 is way more solid but new apps development are gunning for Ubuntu 16.04, so we will have to move eventually.
Linux Mint Cinnamon, AMD FX-6300 (6 x 4Ghz), Nvidia GTX-650 TI, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, SSD Seagate + Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 1GB 7200rpm, Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A.

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

I have an crucial mx300. There isn't anything wrong with my disk as I did a disk check and there were no errors. The issue seems to be that the installer fails to unmount my Windows efi partition causing my Linux install to become corrupt, that's the issue. How do I prevent this? This is the first time I attempted the install on an SSD and this error happened immediately after installing Windows. Other distros like Ubuntu 16.10 have the same issue. What do you suggest as I would like to not have to remove Windows as I have 150gb already written to it and I don't won't to cause any more writes to it with a complete install. Let me know if that is the only solution or anything else I could do.

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marlenejo »

I am surely not the expert on that matter but why would any windows partition being mounted when you boot from the Mint DVD/USB drive ? You said you did desable "fast start", secure boot and did a complete windows shutdown (not standby nor hibernation). The only reason that windows partitions are mounted at start is that windows was not shutdown completely. When you boot from the Mint dvd/usb, in live mode, use the DISK utility to see what is "mounted". Nothing should be beside MInt. You don't have to ditch windows, it works just fine in dual boot on a ssd. I have it on my main computer.

Don't worry about SSD writes. This is way overblown for home user and you will never be able to kill it with that for many years.

EDIT : may be that should be helpful to you ;
https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bo ... sb-2202084

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

OK so I went to the disk utility to check to see if the fat 32 efi partition was mounted and it wasn't, but noticed after the installer finished, it mounted at /target/boot/efi. The same message about the fat 32 efi partition for windows not being unmounted correctly pops up which makes no sense whatsoever. Any ideas?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

applesea wrote:OK so I went to the disk utility to check to see if the fat 32 efi partition was mounted and it wasn't, but noticed after the installer finished, it mounted at /target/boot/efi. The same message about the fat 32 efi partition for windows not being unmounted correctly pops up which makes no sense whatsoever. Any ideas?
When you are installing Mint in UEFI mode, the bootloader (Grub) is installed to the EFI partition. It is not a "efi partition for windows" - it is a EFI partition for any OS installed in UEFI mode.
Linux Linx 2018

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

Glad I know now. I wonder what would cause it to spit out that error during installation.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can check some of the tutorials for UEFI dual-boot
Linux Linx 2018

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

OK I tested out the "empty disk" option on the installer just to check if it had anything to do with that partition and still same error where it will load and then when I log into cinnamon, I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor. What else could it be if it doesn't have to do with any issue with dual booting then? I set my drives to AHCI in BIOS and made sure I selected the correct drive when installing it and there were no errors about a corrupted partition.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Have you read the Release Notes for Mint 18.1 concerning black screen when booting?
https://linuxmint.com/rel_serena_cinnamon.php
Linux Linx 2018

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

I don't think its a graphics card issue. I added nomodeset to the grub boot menu and the same thing happened. It just won't load the cinnamon session

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marlenejo »

applesea wrote:I don't think its a graphics card issue. I added nomodeset to the grub boot menu and the same thing happened. It just won't load the cinnamon session
That include 17.3 ?

applesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by applesea »

It worked on 17.3 but I wanted to test and see if maybe something was wrong with the .iso file so I upgraded to linux mint 18.1 and I got the same issue all along. It makes no sense. I upgraded to the latest kernel and firmware of my SSD but still no fix. I tried switching from AHCI to IDE and vice versa and no fix. Nothing is wrong with the drive itself as I did a disk check in Windows. I never really liked 17.3 as much as 18.1 so I didn't reinstall 17.3 yet. How could this issue happen if I did so much and nothing works. It just freezes for 3 minutes after it boots until I can move my mouse curser and another 3 just to boot to Cinnamon off the SSD. I tried on an empty disk so it couldn't possibly be conflicting with Windows, and Fast Boot and Secure Boot is disabled. Ubuntu 16.10 gave me this issue as well. I honestly think I will return this drive and get a more compatable one if this is such an issue. Please let me know if there is something I am missing.

Return to “Hardware Support”