[Solved] Lenovo Ideapad 310, no sound

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nestor_83
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Lenovo Ideapad 310, no sound

Post by Nestor_83 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:20 pm

hey guys.

i have now installed linux mint on the third device and it is the second one where i have major sound problems.

the device is a lenovo ideapad 310 15ikb
- there is a ssd and a hdd drive in it. linux runs on the ssd (its a samsung).
- the cpu is an intel core i5 (7th gen)
- i completely erased windows 10 from the entire laptop.

first installation of linux mint 18 kde was successful, so the standard bios settings allowed me to install. but i noticed, despite the fact that the desktop screen itself including the previous windows are loading quite quickly, the taskbar is coming way way later. i am talking about one to three minutes. thats oddly slow for a ssd and has maybe something to do with the problem that must be solved.

then i realized i had no sound from the internal speaker and from the headphones. and thats a problem tat must be solved!

- so first thing i did was to install pulse audio (pvaucontrol) -> no results.
- i installed alsamixer (genome)
- it did not even recognize my internal speakers. there was written in the output section something like 'dummy device' (in pulseaudio)
- so i was searching the internet and applied a thousand useless fixes to get it going. but no result.
- it did not really recognize the soundcard, i mean its an internal one but i thought maybe its a problem with initializing the hardware itself and so it might have something to do with the bios settings.

- so i disabled 'secure boot'
- i disabled 'intel platform trust technology' and i think other "security" stuff, but i think they are not so relevant. maybe i am wrong.
- booting on uefi
- i installed linux again

then there was sound. i tried it first from the usb stick on youtube during the installation and then when it was done from youtube and some video on vlc.
i thought "awesome!" too good to be true.
and it was. now there is no sound again. the fix unfixed itself so to say. and i have no idea why!

- i installed pulse audio again. no results
- i can see that the videos are playing in the 'output device' section but,
- the device is now called 'built-in audio' instead of 'dummy device'
- i tried every variation in 'configuration'

what can i do? i have no plan anymore! please help me.
i am not new to linux but when it comes to the codes i am a copy paste guy. i do not really know a lot of programming. please consider this.

thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Nestor_83 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nestor_83
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 310, no sound

Post by Nestor_83 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Code: Select all

me@MyC ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: MyC Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.5 (Qt 5.6.1)                                                                                                                                
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 80TV v: Lenovo ideapad 310-15IKB                                                                                                                                                               
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Torronto 5C2 v: SDK0J40709 WIN Bios: LENOVO v: 3JCN19WW date: 08/10/2016                                                                                                                                      
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-7200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB                                                                                                                                                                           
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10847                                                                                                                                                                 
           clock speeds: max: 2601 MHz 1: 700 MHz 2: 600 MHz 3: 1100 MHz 4: 1700 MHz                                                                                                                                                         
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0                                                                                                                                                                                           
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz                                                                                                                                  
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Kabylake GT2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes                                                                                                                                      
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.0-53-generic                                                                                                                                     
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller                                                                                                                                                         
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0                                                                                                                                                                            
           IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>                                                                                                                                                                                              
           Card-2: Intel Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0                                                                                                                                     
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>                                                                                                                                                                                                
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1128.2GB (1.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_MZYTY128 size: 128.0GB                                                                                                                                         
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB                                                                                                                                                                                  
           Optical: No optical drives detected.                                                                                                                                                                                              
Partition: ID-1: / size: 106G used: 7.7G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2                                                                                                                                                                        
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 12.78GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3                                                                                                                                                              
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present                                                                                                                                                                       
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0C mobo: N/A                                                                                                                                                                                         
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 1:00 Memory: 1164.8/11915.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0                                                                                                                                     
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35                                                                                                                                                                                         
me@MyC ~ $                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

maybe this helps.
- what i did too after the sound broke again i installed drivers over driver manager
- and i updated the leftovers in the software manager.

is it maybe possible that the new problem was made by the software update itself? because i did update everything after installation.

Nestor_83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nestor_83 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:42 am

i think this meas the audio card is detected

me@MyC ~ $ inxi -Axx
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:9d71
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-62-generic

maybe this is useful too

me@MyC ~ $ aplay -L
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
i installed genome alsamixer from the software manager again
when i open it i cannot see anything but the upper bar. when i click edit - soundcard preferences it crashes entirely.

i dont wanna sound pushy, but i need to solve this problem soon. so please give me some input. i appreciate everything.
maybe i should try to install some other linux distribution. what are your thoughts on that. is there a better functioning distribution? something that works for my lenovo for sure?
what i really dont wanna do is go back to windows.

Nestor_83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nestor_83 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:32 am

in have it running now! and i have no ***** clue why exactly!

i got somewhere along the way a warning which needed this fix:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/99651/ap ... en-us-utf8
i don't think it was the solution but i want to mention it anyway.

then i read over the first view points on this page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... SFLMI/edit
and thought the alsa itself should be important.

so i had only installed the genome-alsamixer and the program crashed all the time as i explained further behind.
the old alsamixer is not installed on mint 18, or maybe its only the surface which is not there, so i thought maybe this will help. its not included in the software manager so i choose a program almost randomly. it was QasMixer. then i played a bit around and selected the 'hw: card' on the 'mixer device' box.

after the next reboot it worked! awesome! but
i dont know what it was that fixed the problem. i think the problem was that the genome-alsamixer did not recognize the hardware. that means the genome-alsamixer is crappy, because it dropped essential functions on the update in regard of hardware recognition. or the default setting were useless.

final point

first i must say i am a passionate linux user and i like the idealism of the community to have a system not run by one company which can do and sell anything they please.
but i got NO support when i was desperate for help. basically this topic was a monolog. thats weak guys!
but it should not even come this fare because what an os MUST have is just not there. the office, the browser and videos MUST work. without any fixes! immediately after the installation!
when linux wants to be relevant there's no way around the fact that the community has to do more either to fix this things or to have some hardware verification system which is not some years old and absolutely reliable.
when i want to win somebody over to give linux a try and i have to tell them i needed three full days to fix a basic function on my new computer they think i am a weirdo! and rightfully so! all the arguments in regard of the microsoft policy to exclude other software are cute but not one of my friends will be interested in it. because a computer has to work. especially when its a new one.

i did not even find a good article in regard of the right bios settings for me. installation guids do not mention bios settings but they should! it should even be mentioned at the main installation of linux mint, because it causes trouble along the way.
i dont even know now after the fix if my bios is set correctly, because there is some intel sh** where i can guess if i need to deactivate it or not.

heads up my dear linux community
its awesome what you do,
but you need to do a little better!

whazammo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Lenovo Ideapad 310, no sound

Post by whazammo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:18 pm

HEY ! hats off to your comments about no help... we here are so anti-anything Microsoft it might be illegal, and my moving to Linux 5 log years ago while webmaster for three 200 page poetry websites (cold turkey) has been quite the experience for a 70-year-old, this latest Lenovo think pad upgrade and 2 tb desktop move has turned into a disgust.

I beat these Lenovo, Ubuntu, Linux Mint sites to death about the Intel-MS10-Mint18.3-Lenovo OS problems when I too dumped MS outta here from these November 2018 built new units, until I saw your article I have received scorn only -certainly no help, and zero support, very very disappointing, I still have no sound, and cannot network between units all because of some Microsoft lock-out software add-on called "blocker" that Intel and Lenovo co-opted late in 2018.

Possibly 200 hours have gone into trying a solve, and I am getting nowhere. very disenchanted with the help network.

MrEen
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [Solved] Lenovo Ideapad 310, no sound

Post by MrEen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:23 pm

whazammo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:18 pm
HEY ! hats off to your comments about no help... we here are so anti-anything Microsoft it might be illegal, and my moving to Linux 5 log years ago while webmaster for three 200 page poetry websites (cold turkey) has been quite the experience for a 70-year-old, this latest Lenovo think pad upgrade and 2 tb desktop move has turned into a disgust.

I beat these Lenovo, Ubuntu, Linux Mint sites to death about the Intel-MS10-Mint18.3-Lenovo OS problems when I too dumped MS outta here from these November 2018 built new units, until I saw your article I have received scorn only -certainly no help, and zero support, very very disappointing, I still have no sound, and cannot network between units all because of some Microsoft lock-out software add-on called "blocker" that Intel and Lenovo co-opted late in 2018.

Possibly 200 hours have gone into trying a solve, and I am getting nowhere. very disenchanted with the help network.
Hi whazammo.

You have not posted one sound related question on this forum as yet. Can you give a description of the issue, and include the output of running inxi -Fxz and aplay -l in the terminal. Let's add the output of pacmd list-sinks as well please.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”