Help needed: Krusader installing and completing

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
111MilesToGo
Level 2
Level 2

Help needed: Krusader installing and completing

Postby 111MilesToGo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 am

To begin with: I have been and still am using Total Commander under Windows - the most wonderful and extremely reliable file manager. Under Linux Mint, I have VirtualBox with two Windows virtual machines (10 and XP, the latter for specific old applications only).

I have the aspiration to get into Linux as much as possible, using Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and KDE - still trying to evaluate which desktop I am going to stick to. I want to restrict using the Windows VMs as much as possible. Thus, the most important tool is an outstanding file manager for the Mint flavors under evaluation. Both Nemo under Cinnamon and Dolphin under KDE are nice, but they are not powerful enough for my everyday needs. In Total Commander under Windows, I use e.g. its mass file renaming, synchronization, checksum capabilities a lot, plus many more.

Thus, I am giving Krusader under KDE and Double Commander under Cinnamon thorough looks. Double Commander (still very beta?) is trying to imitate Total Commander to a very large extent, while Krusader is more free and seems to be the more advanced product.

Now, here are my questions:
  • I installed the Krusader 2.4.0-beta3 from the Linux Mint 18.1 KDE repository as well as Krename. My problem is to get reasonable checksum apps for the "deep" recursive operations into Krusader. The LM repository offers md5deep, but as a transition to hashdeep only. So I installed hashdeep from the Mint software center and set that to be checksum app for md5deep, sha1deep, sha256deep ... whirlpooldeep in the Krusader configuration. I cannot find separate md5deep, sha256deep ... apps anywhere. Any help out there?
  • Running the checksum creation tools on a directory or list of directories, hashdeep keeps calculating size, md5 and sha256's for each file and puts those into the output checksum file. Taking that file to verify the same directories, I get a positive match from Krusader/hashdeep for both the original checksum output and a screwed-up version of it. Horrendous! Please, any ideas out there what I am doing wrong?
  • I am a bit unhappy with Krusader version 2.4.0-beta3, which is relying on KDE 4.14.22. I suppose that Linux Mint 18.1 KDE is using the KDE Framework 5, since it features the Plasma 5.8 desktop. How could I possibly get to the current Krusader 2.5.0 version? I am reluctant to try compiling from source. Ubuntu zesty offers Krusader 2.5.0 in its repository; very reluctant to pull that into Mint = Ubuntu xenial.
Thanks in advance for any ideas and help. I would also like to get into contact with anybody who uses Mint KDE, Krusader and other apps with much more experience than I have.

phd21
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Help needed: Krusader installing and completing

Postby phd21 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi "111MilesToGo",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

111MilesToGo wrote:using Total Commander under Windows, I use e.g. its mass file renaming, synchronization, checksum capabilities a lot, plus many more.

KDE's Dolphin is a wonderful file manager, and you can add "Krusader" and or "Konquerer" as well (I do). You can also add other file manager's as well, "sunflower", Double Commander, Midnight Commander, etc...

Dolphin (Linux Mint 18.x) - checksum verification

Most of the file managers can do simple renaming by highlighting a file or files, then right clicking and selecting rename, or hitting "F2". For more complex renaming, installing "Krename", "Gwenrename", "pyrenamer", "gprename", etc... which can then be access through the right click menu of most file managers, or in Krusader's. You can also add any installed application program to show up in the right click menu for certain file types by right clicking that file type, select properties, then click the "file type options" button, and add or delete programs, and re-prioritize which programs should be at the top or the default opening application.

Krusader - Multi-Rename

Krusader - Multi-Rename, using right click options.

Krusader - Checksum1

Krusader - Checksum2

Krusader - Tools - Sync

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

111MilesToGo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 111MilesToGo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 am

Hi phd21, just read your answer to my post. Thanks!

In the meantime, I have installed Mint 18.1 KDE for testing, and I got the md5deep ... hashdeep issue in Krusader solved, cf. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=241896. Would still like to get the latest Krusader 2.5.0 into Mint KDE, but most probably that's impossible without the Mint team updating their software packages.

Thanks for your post and the screenshots! Will try and get ideas for setting up things from them.

acheronuk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby acheronuk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:23 am

111MilesToGo wrote:Would still like to get the latest Krusader 2.5.0 into Mint KDE, but most probably that's impossible without the Mint team updating their software packages.

We have the new KF5 Krusader in zesty. I will try to have a look at backporting for Xenial. :)
Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark (development version) - Plasma 5.10.4 - Frameworks 5.36 - KDE apps 17.04.3 - Qt 5.9.1

phd21
Level 12
Level 12

Postby phd21 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:57 am

Hi "111MilesToGo",

You are welcome.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

111MilesToGo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 111MilesToGo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:05 pm

acheronuk wrote:
111MilesToGo wrote:Would still like to get the latest Krusader 2.5.0 into Mint KDE, but most probably that's impossible without the Mint team updating their software packages.

We have the new KF5 Krusader in zesty. I will try to have a look at backporting for Xenial. :)

It would be appreciated very much if this would work safely. I did grab the hashdeep package from Zesty and installed it manually, no unmatched dependencies (hashdeep in xenial is flawed).

acheronuk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby acheronuk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Krusader 2.5.0 backported from zesty is now in

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... ts-landing

for testing.

If you wish to test, please add that ppa, upgrade, THEN REMOVE/DISABLE the ppa once upgraded

(may have to go through the 1st run setup on this upgrade)

Thanks.

Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark (development version) - Plasma 5.10.4 - Frameworks 5.36 - KDE apps 17.04.3 - Qt 5.9.1

111MilesToGo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 111MilesToGo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48 am

acheronuk wrote:Krusader 2.5.0 backported from zesty is now in https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... ts-landing for testing.

Sorry, saw this good news just now. Thanks a lot for your backporting efforts!

Just a short note after installing it:
  • The standard user mode looks fine, the configuration dialog comes up, and things go the usual way.
  • Calling Krusader in root mode, however, looks different from the old version. The configuration dialog has no icons, and all radio buttons now have a tick mark instead of the Plasma(???) light blue fills. Furthermore, the fonts are different both in the config dialog and the normal Krusader window (narrow font, narrow line spacing,...). Not sure what this difference in root mode means.
I will test the program now, just wanted to let you know my observations right after installing. Guess it shouldn't be like that what I came up with in root mode.

I'll be back ... thanks for your help!

acheronuk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby acheronuk » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:41 pm

KF5 apps in general, or at least frequently, have similar issues running in 'root' mode, even using the safe(ish) methods.

Krusader is the same:

e.g https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=371513#c18

I would note that the debian version behaves like this in both ubuntu zesty and debian, so it is not a backporting issue.

111MilesToGo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 111MilesToGo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

@acheronuk: Again and first, thanks for providing the backport!

Thanks for your comment regarding the funny behavior of Krusader in root mode, (1) the bug report and (2) the hint that it's the same under Debian and Ubuntu. Unfortunately, these don't help very much. On the other hand, I have a test version of openSUSE Leap 42.2 (current) with KDE desktop and Krusader 2.5.0 (run under KDE Frameworks 5.26.0, Qt 5.6.1, xcb window system). This Krusader 2.5.0 is behaving in a completely "normal" way. Thus, I am not sure what an operating system is doing wrong in confusing Krusader in root mode. On my Mint KDE system, I don't see Dolphin messed up, as other have reported in the bug report you linked me to.

Explanation of my approach: I am trying to get Linux Mint 18.1 KDE functioning nicely, since I do like the ease and eye comfort of Mint, paired with the wealth of applications derived from Ubuntu. It seems to me that openSUSE is more difficult to operate and doesn't have a number of apps I am after.

Am I stuck then?

acheronuk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby acheronuk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:32 am

Upstream Krusader devs are doing away with 'root mode' in any case. D5165 Avoid root mode is to be included in version 2.6 which out out any time now.

Return to “KDE”