Gaming Pc Build... Windows or Linux?

Chat about just about anything else
AkaiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Gaming Pc Build... Windows or Linux?

Post by AkaiGuy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi! I'm hoping to build a new gaming pc in the next couple days (when my parts arrive) and I haven't decided on an OS yet. Like a lot of people, I've used Windows all my life but I am looking for something cheaper and more secure then windows 10. I also heard linux is easier to install also, which is good for me because I'm not experienced in installing this stuff. (Though I'm sure I could install either, it's probably not rocket science. Lol)

My question is, which OS would be better for steam gaming? Do all games on steam work for linux? Would you recommend one or the other based on your experience?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Gaming Pc Build... Windows or Linux?

Post by JeremyB » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Not a support request, moved to open chat. It might help if you told us about the parts as some may not be fully supported yet in Linux Mint

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm happy enough with Linux for gaming but that's because I tend to stick to older games and use a no frills PC with a £20 HD 5450 plugged in. If you're spending a significant amount of money on a Gaming PC, you would be throwing your money away with a Linux OS because the amount of games available to you would be greatly reduced and you may also incur compatibility problems with your expensive AMD or Nvidia graphics card.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 pm

There are over 3100 games available for Linux on Steam. Here is the list: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... 8&os=linux. That's a lot but there certainly are more games for Windows on Steam. You can usually spot if a game is supported from the system logo (next to the Windows and Apple logo you'll see the SteamOS logo, which means it is available for Linux—check the system requirements when in doubt). What kind of games are important for you? Look up some of the games you play or that you have on your wishlist; are they available for Linux? Are you willing to compromise and play something else if they aren't available on Linux?

Performance wise games will in general achieve higher frame rates on Windows. That stems from graphics card drivers and games having gotten the most work done to optimize them for Windows and DirectX. Disregarding games and looking at raw graphics performance, Nvidia's closed source graphics card driver is currently considered the best performing on Linux and closest to on-par with their Windows driver. If you want an open source driver then AMD's is the best currently. Some few games have started to use Vulkan (the next generation, cross-platform, high-performance graphics API) and these games show much smaller performance difference between Windows and Linux. Not noticeable I'd say.

This may be of interest to you, Phoronix have recently compared gaming performance between Windows 10 and Linux: How important are the highest-possible frame rates for you? If you will be playing on 4K resolution, like the above benchmarks were focused on, there will be a noticeable difference between Windows and Linux for faster paced games. On lower resolutions, like FullHD, for the tested games and graphics cards the difference will be much less significant—probably not noticeable (unless you play the fastest FPS games and every frame per second counts for you).

Personally, I'd be willing to compromise and accept that some games won't be available or have a bit lower performance if it means I'm back in control of my computer again. But I don't play fast paced games and gaming is just one of the things I do on my computer.

If you are going to be using Linux I'd recommend you keep a computer with Windows around (or dual boot) until you have settled in on Linux and have found your way to all the programs you need for your other tasks.

mariad_10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mariad_10 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:43 am

I would recommend you to go for Windows, since Linux does not support .exe files and windows does. Correct me if am wrong, anyone.

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 pm

mariad_10 wrote:I would recommend you to go for Windows, since Linux does not support .exe files and windows does. Correct me if am wrong, anyone.
Linux runs them through Wine but if I were spending anything from £500 to £2k on a computer I'd want a bit more than Wine to show for it. Linux uses .sh files instead of .exe and more and more games are being ported over to Linux but IMO it's still too much of a compromise for a two grand system.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 pm

If I were OP, interested only in gaming, I wouldn't pick either but would buy a console - cheaper, first to get new titles, no issues with video drivers, no hustle with poor ports and better optimized...
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1
Intel G1820, DDR3 8GB, Nvidia GT720(2GB)

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 pm

ColdBoot wrote:If I were OP, interested only in gaming, I wouldn't pick either but would buy a console - cheaper, first to get new titles, no issues with video drivers, no hustle with poor ports and better optimized...
I got an XBox 360 to play the games my Linux desktop couldn't handle. Hooks up right next to my PC through VGA and a great option if you're on a budget.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:46 pm

English Invader wrote:
I got an XBox 360 to play the games my Linux desktop couldn't handle. Hooks up right next to my PC through VGA and a great option if you're on a budget.
Yeah, assembling an expensive PC rig for gaming purposes is such a complete sodded waste of one's money these days.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 pm

ColdBoot wrote:If I were OP, interested only in gaming, I wouldn't pick either but would buy a console - cheaper, first to get new titles, no issues with video drivers, no hustle with poor ports and better optimized...
My pc outperformed my xbox with the same games and some of the console games were a very poor imitation of the real thing like Civilization. I'd go for windows, unfortunately thats the best way to get the highest availability of games and highest performance from your GPU. I tend to like games that aren't available for linux though so it depends on what games you are interested in really. Search the list xenopeek posted and see if the games you are interested in are available for linux,
Some games run well enough in linux and I even have fallout 3 running pretty well with wine, if you install mint before you buy windows you may find it hard to spend the money on windows.
ColdBoot wrote: Yeah, assembling an expensive PC rig for gaming purposes is such a complete sodded waste of one's money these days.
Think I got about $400 or so into mine.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm

stormryder wrote: Think I got about $400 or so into mine.
ROFL... do please tell us by how much has your rig outperformed my 300$ PS4 in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare? If you care to play the titles published after 2008, that is. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm

ColdBoot wrote:
stormryder wrote: Think I got about $400 or so into mine.
ROFL... do please tell us by how much has your rig outperformed my 300$ PS4 in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare? If you care to play the titles published after 2008, that is. :mrgreen:
2 words- Video Card

Fixed components make the consoles inept "high performance" gaming devices. An old $100 used pc with a $300 video card will out do a console.

for the console minded folks. Linux with WINE or dual boot, is like being able to play xbox and ps4 games on a single console. Best of both worlds but mastering none.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Citizen229 wrote:for the console minded folks. Linux with WINE or dual boot, is like being able to play xbox and ps4 games on a single console. Best of both worlds but mastering none.
Wine is a world to master in and of itself. It's one of the best tools around for playing old PC games on a contemporary OS.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Citizen229 wrote: 2 words- Video Card

Fixed components make the consoles inept "high performance" gaming devices. An old $100 used pc with a $300 video card will out do a console.

for the console minded folks. Linux with WINE or dual boot, is like being able to play xbox and ps4 games on a single console. Best of both worlds but mastering none.
Yes a 300$ video card is a must for any decent gaming on PC now, but that also means (and includes) pairing it with the matching CPU and mobo, IMO. Otherwise, you'll be often forced to make compromises in the game settings.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:25 pm

You are correct compromises. Compromises by choice. Not compromises by developers having limited hardware to develop for. They have already made the compromise and you have chosen to go with it. Your compromising is done already, you just do not see it because it is hidden. Even if a console uses the latest hardware like a pc, after a year of RnD that console is already well on its way to being obsolete. If you want to game for the sake of gaming consoles are awesome. But do not even try to have a discussion about how great their hardware is. Consoles are not high definition gaming machines. They are midgrade at best when the console is launched and only go downward from there.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Maybe so, but they are also way more cheaper to replace and better supported in every sense. And however "midranged", I still enjoyed Uncharted 4 sooner than you had a chance. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Citizen229 wrote:If you want to game for the sake of gaming consoles are awesome. But do not even try to have a discussion about how great their hardware is. Consoles are not high definition gaming machines. They are midgrade at best when the console is launched and only go downward from there.
There was a time when consoles had the edge in performance because of their dedicated hardware and custom graphics (SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis) but these days it's just an AMD APU inside. The fifth generation (PS1 era) changed things because games became more or less uniform no matter what system you played them on and the only differences to be found were in obscure areas like frame rate and resolution and that's where the PC thrives.

If developers prioritised PC development, PC would be king but they don't because it's more cost-effective to develop with the lowest common denominator in mind and then port the game over to the more advanced system which means the more advanced system gets short-changed.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Indeed English Invader, one puts much money to squeeze that extra frame and pixel out of a game only to be treated as a second-grade citizen. So neither Linux nor Windows...
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:29 am

At 1080p a gtx 1060 will play almost everything on ultra. I use windows because 3d stereoscopic isnt available on linux due to nvidia not supporting it on gtx cards. I won't play games in 2d anymore... which rules out consoles because with the pc you can tweak games to work in 3d.

PC on windows also has nvidia inspector that allows a lot of blurry console ports to be tweaked to use proper anti aliasing giving a much better picture quality. The worst aspect of games ported from consoles is the idiotic 'movies with buttons to press' game play. In this respect games have taken a giant leap backwards from Half Life 2.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 pm

sikejsudjek wrote: I won't play games in 2d anymore... which rules out consoles because with the pc you can tweak games to work in 3d.
Wait, who told you that? Because, bolded is simply not true. You haven't played Trine on PS4? The point is, relatively small number of games overall is made with 3D support available. Not to mention that even the used GTX1060 is around 250$ and would you buy a used card at that price?

Anyways, it's OP's money, he's entitled to spend it as he likes. :)
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

Return to “Open chat”