Minimum system requirements

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
llehirgen
Level 1
Level 1

Minimum system requirements

Post by llehirgen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 am

I would like to install Linux Mint 18.1 with Mate desktop in a laptop with Intel Atom processor and 1 GB of RAM.
Do you think the installation will succeed or my laptop does not have the minimum system requirements in order to install and run Linux Mint?

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Minimum system requirements

Post by Pjotr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:27 am

On that weak old hardware, the lightweight Xfce edition of Mint 18.1 is a better idea:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/sta ... -32bit.iso

And even then, make sure to apply these safe speed tweaks:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:05 am

Exactly which Atom processor do you have? And video card? The integrated Intel video with some of the Atoms doesn't have working 3D hardware acceleration in Linux and I would be very, very surprised if it ever does. I'm talking about Poulsbo and Cedarview video here but AFAIK there may be others.

I'm typing on a Cedarview netbook right now with, yes, Xfce. Fortunately it's not something I use much at home or watch video on, and I knew what I was getting into. I've seen people on forums with Poulsbo or Cedarview video who thought they'd be able to play huge 1080p video files and they can't really.

llehirgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llehirgen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 am

I have the following processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N280 1660 Mhz
You can have a look at the laptop and all its specifications at the Toshiba dedicated web page: http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-prod ... nb200-134/
As you can see the graphics adapter is: Mobile Intel® GMA 950

Do you think with Linux Mint installed, I will be able to work without significant issues on speed and other matters?

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 pm

llehirgen wrote:Do you think with Linux Mint installed, I will be able to work without significant issues on speed and other matters?
You can expect reasonable performance when applying what I wrote in my previous message. Not great performance, but acceptable. That's the best you can get.

Those netbooks were already underpowered when they first appeared on the market, in 2008/2009..... And now they're antiquated as well.

You can get a fractionally better performance when installing some other lightweight Linux distro, but those are usually less polished and less user-friendly than Mint Xfce.

llehirgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llehirgen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:48 pm

I installed Mint 18.1 Xfce and everything seems fine.
The first time I started my machine I was surprised by the look of Xfce, I thought it was a really bare bone desktop environment but instead it is very good looking.
I had to manually enter the wifi password and saved it in the network settings in order to use the wifi, as explained at https://itsfoss.com/wifi-not-connecting ... nt-ubuntu/

Thanks a lot

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

I have done 3 installs now on single core atom (N450) netbooks of 17.3, and 18.1 Cinnamon 64. They run fine. In fact I showed one to a friend today and he says he wants me to convert his tomorrow to 18.1 Cinnamon. He says it is so much faster than his old Windex XP that it is unbelievable, the unit I showed him is an Asus Eee PC 1001 PC. Another friend was at the coffee shop I did a conversion to the same with an Asus Eee PC 1000. They both like the VPN provisions with the new FCC rules. :mrgreen:

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

@llehirgen: good to hear that it worked out well for you! Enjoy Xfce. It's such a remarkably polished desktop, in spite of its simplicity and modest use of system resources, that I often install it on powerful machines as well. :)

@Tomgin5: apparently you and I have different standards for determining acceptable performance.... That's OK of course, but in my book running heavyweight Cinnamon on such old netbooks is plain self-torture. Been there, done that. :mrgreen:

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 pm

llehirgen wrote:I have the following processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N280 1660 Mhz
You can have a look at the laptop and all its specifications at the Toshiba dedicated web page: http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-prod ... nb200-134/
As you can see the graphics adapter is: Mobile Intel® GMA 950

Do you think with Linux Mint installed, I will be able to work without significant issues on speed and other matters?
Everyone has their own comfortable performance envelope but I ran Mint/Cinnamon on an old PIV@3.06Ghz w/1GB of ram w/gma950 graphics and it was painfully slow and I was DEEP into swap just running a web browser and h264hd vids did not play smoothly at all, not even after a reboot and playing them with nothing else running from a local file. Streaming was flat out of the question.
On the otherhand if all you need is a word processor that does nothing but extremely light web surfing you might make due.
In anycase you will want to be running Xfce or MATE, forget Cinnamon.
My good old PC:
Core2quad@2.33, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6850. 64GB SSD boot Drive, 750GB data dump drive, Mint/Cinnamon edition.

Return to “Newbie Questions”