Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
interdigitated
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard problems with MSI laptop related to the Embeded Controller

Post by interdigitated »

Hello, I started experiencing problems with my laptop keyboard about a week to 2 weeks ago.
Specifically, the z x and left ctrl keys don't always work. Its almost as if they were 'asleep' then after multiple presses, they wake up and work normally until i hit about a dozen other keys, then they go 'back to sleep'
This is obviously extremely frustrating, even while writing this post it is happening and is super annoying.

At first I thought my keyboard was malfunctioning as this problem was also occurring in Windows 10. I fixed it in windows 10 by flashing th EC firmware supplied by MSI, but the problem persists in Linux. As this problem seemly appeared on its own I am unsure as to the specific cause other than it is related to the Embedded controller. This laptop is new, and worked correctly for 2 months before this problem happened in both OSes. I don't know how to address it.

MSI EC firmware is here https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GP62 ... n-firmware
Description of firmware:
1. Synced the cooler boost LED light with "Dragon Center" AP when cooler boost is launched in Dragon Center.
2. Modified system will hang up when flashing EC with AC adapter plug out.
3. Fixed sometimes there will be one more character appearing when using SSE macro to type characters.

Other info:
Linux Mint 18.1 64
Cinnamon 3.2.7
Kernel 4.4.0-53

They keyboard is a steelseries backlit keyboard, but is supported by MSI and not steelseries
interdigitated
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard problems with MSI laptop related to the Embeded Controller

Post by interdigitated »

Ok, I seemingly 'fixed' the problem. Not sure exactly how, but here are the things I did in order.

After reading on the internets that all I had to do to reset the EC was to remove the battery and leave it powered down for >5min, I suddenly realized that I can't remove my battery without disassembling the entire laptop (didn't think about this when Purchased the thing, this would have made me reconsider)

So I did the following:

Made minor changes in the bios, such as correcting the time, saved and rebooted.
Tested it again, no success

Booted into windows and turned off the computer by holding the power button.
Rapidly changed the back lit keyboard illumination while in the boot splash. This at first did nothing, but then started changing the lights a few seconds before getting to the GRUB menu.
Tested - Success!

I have no logical explanation for why this worked, and will post again if the problem persists.
Considering I flashed the EC from windows, and that fixed it in windows, I am still confused why the problem persisted in linux as the EC should be OS independent.

Return to “Hardware Support”