Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

how to make a self-running slide show? [SOLVED]

Post by 52ROSt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:32 am

In Windows I could create a self-running slide show, which was an exe-file. Such a slide show can be seen with any Windows machine (at least XP or higher)..

Now I would like to create - in LM - slide shows running in Windows, Mac and Linux OS. In which application can such slide shows be created?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by 52ROSt on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Re: how to make a self-running slide show?

Post by all41 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 am

ohio
my 1st goto for these things is Libre Office Impress
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:20 am

Openshot, if you want you can even add sound to it

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:09 am

A very basic slideshow could be just a simple bash script looping through images and using imagemagick.

All41 mentioned LibreOffice Impress (similar to Powerpoint) and it can run in kiosk mode.

There are other options like dvd-slideshow which is a command line script which reads a text file which contains a list of images, transitions, etc.

There are GUI options like DVDStyler.

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:23 am

Animated gif will be universal and will keep running. No sound though. Set each frame duration to desired length.

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am

Couple other options: viewtopic.php?p=1285039#p1285039

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:23 pm

I have three approaches; which one I use depends on the situation and how much time I want to spend on it.

OpenShot - gives me a lot of control. This is what I use to impress, and I tend to spend a lot of time on these projects. It is not my every-day, go-to solution.

LibreOffice Impress / Calligra Stage - I consider presentation software to be a Force of Evil, but this is its raison d'arte. This is what I use for slideshows that require title and text slides (as opposed to just graphics). I prefer Stage to Impress.

PDF Slideshow - this is my quick/dirty approach. It is what I use if the presentation is composed of nothing but images, I do not need sound or fancy effects, and I am pressed for time. I copy the images to a folder, use the ImageMagick Convert tool to create a PDF of all the images, open the PDF in a suitable document viewer (I use Okular), and display it in Presentation Mode. The trick to getting a self-running PDF slideshow to work using a PDF viewer that lets you adjust the Presentation Mode settings.

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:04 pm

BenTrabetere wrote:PDF Slideshow - this is my quick/dirty approach. It is what I use if the presentation is composed of nothing but images, I do not need sound or fancy effects, and I am pressed for time. I copy the images to a folder, use the ImageMagick Convert tool to create a PDF of all the images, open the PDF in a suitable document viewer (I use Okular), and display it in Presentation Mode. The trick to getting a self-running PDF slideshow to work using a PDF viewer that lets you adjust the Presentation Mode settings.
Never heard of "PDF SlideShow", can you post examples?

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:02 am

racer-x wrote:Never heard of "PDF SlideShow",
It is what Photoshop calls a PDF Presentation - a collection of images is saved as a PDF, and you advance through the images with a mouse click. Instead of physical slides in a carousel displayed on a film screen, there are digital images in a PDF displayed on a monitor.

Photoshop provides several controls - setting duration before the next image advances, transition effects like Wipe and Fade, continuous Loop - and these effects are embedded in the PDF. I still use Photoshop for this from time to time.
can you post examples?
It is easier to tell you how to roll your own. Here are the steps using collection of JPGs. You could just as easily use any other image format or a combination of file formats - I use JPGs to keep things simple. You will use the ImageMagick Convert tool, either PDF Mod or PDF Shuffler to reorder the images, and Okular.

1. Create an empty directory and copy a group of images to it.

2. Open a terminal, change to the directory and enter convert *.jpg slideshow.pdf.

3. Open the PDF in PDF Mod or PDF Shuffler and reorder the images as needed. Both programs work equally well, and both can be installed with Software Manager. I prefer PDF Shuffler, but I really can't give you a good reason why.

4. Open the final PDF in Okular. Go to the Settings Menu, select Configure Okular and click on the Presentation tab. The Navigation setting sets the advance duration and continuous loop, the Appearance setting enables/disables the progress indicator, and the Transition setting controls the various transition effects.

That's it.

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Thnaks to all of you for the great information. In the next weeks I will try one or the other way to see what is best for me.

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi "52ROSt",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Nowadays, if you create a "slideshow", or movie video, into a common movie video file format, like ".mp4", or ".mkv", "webm", etc... then anyone on any computer operating system can view it, usually by simply double clicking it, or opening it in most multi-media players, or you can post it to a website to automatically play or play when clicked . You do not need to make an ".exe" file per se.

All video editors (Kdenlive (my favorite VE), Openshot, Lives, etc...) can create video files from still pictures, and or other videos, with existing sound tracks or custom soundtracks, etc... And there are excellent "slideshow", movie maker, applications like "FFdiaporama" (my favorite), Imagination, etc... There are also excellent DVD creator applications that can make DVD/Blu-Ray discs or video files, like "Bombono" (my favorite), "DeVeDe", "DVDstyler", OpenDVD Producer, etc...

The link by "racer-x" regarding "Couple other options", has a lot of good information on this...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 am

@phd21

Thanks for your additional information about readability at various systems (Windows, Macs and Linux).

I installed Kdenlive and Openshot, but had no time yet to tackle a slide show....

Return to “Software & Applications”