How to Encrypt a partition?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
snowcrash101
Level 2
Level 2

How to Encrypt a partition?

Postby snowcrash101 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am

Hello

I've installed LM 18.1, with a separate 'data' partition (i.e. my docs, videos, music etc). I'd like to encrypt this partition (which is on the same drive as the system). What would be the best method?

By the way, I tried LUKS following these instructions https://blog.tinned-software.net/create-a-luks-encrypted-partition-on-linux-mint/, though had a problem with it saying partition not mounted, even though it is.

Thanks
Learning linux & dumping spyware Windows
Intel Core i5-7500 (Kaby Lake) | Asus H270-Plus | 16gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD | 2TB HDD

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to Encrypt a partition?

Postby Mattyboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm not sure if it can be done on a partition as I've never tried it but I don't see why not on a HD.. A friend of mine had a terrible time trying this on an SSD.

You can format a drive and set up encryption by hitting Menu/Accessories/Disks. Its pretty simple to do.

snowcrash101
Level 2
Level 2

Postby snowcrash101 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Mattyboy wrote:I'm not sure if it can be done on a partition as I've never tried it but I don't see why not on a HD.. A friend of mine had a terrible time trying this on an SSD.

You can format a drive and set up encryption by hitting Menu/Accessories/Disks. Its pretty simple to do.

The thing is, I have the system already installed, so want to avoid reformatting whole drive

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mattyboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Does your partition not show up as a separate disk?

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm

snowcrash101 wrote:Hello

I've installed LM 18.1, with a separate 'data' partition (i.e. my docs, videos, music etc). I'd like to encrypt this partition (which is on the same drive as the system). What would be the best method?

Is it absolutely necessary to encrypt your data partition? The reason I ask is that I will save you a lot of headaches in the long run if something goes wrong with your disk/partition.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JoeFootball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

snowcrash101 wrote:... with a separate 'data' partition (i.e. my docs, videos, music etc). I'd like to encrypt this partition ...

Alternatively for your consideration, create one or more encrypted containers on the Data partition, rather than encrypt the entire partition. This also facilitates backups & portability of said containers.

For me, I've had great success with VeraCrypt for doing just that. EDIT: More info on its Wikipedia page.

Joe

NChewie
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NChewie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Re veracrypt ... here is a short tutorial that I wrote to install in 18.0 Cinnamon ...

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=231976

It should work the same for 18.1

snowcrash101
Level 2
Level 2

Postby snowcrash101 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, is it possible to use the 'Disks' application from the Menu? Clicking on the cog-wheel it seems possible to format the partition as encrypted. (I'm fine to format the partition and copy the data back on. It's the rest of the partitions on the same drive, including the LM system that I don't want to touch).

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mattyboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 pm

I thought that was the way to go, then yes you can do that, like I said easy. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”