Driver for reflecta xM-scanner for old 35mm Photos (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Driver for reflecta xM-scanner for old 35mm Photos (Solved)

Post by Bob M »

Can anyone suggest a driver for a “reflecta xM-scanner” used for copying old 35mm Slides?

The software which was written for Windows seems to work fine through Wine/Winetricks but the actual Driver doesn’t, and the Software can’t see the scanner.

Bit of a longshot but all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Last edited by Bob M on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Driver for reflecta xM-scanner for old 35mm Photos

Post by jimallyn »

There are Linux drivers for Reflecta scanners, but I don't know about your specific scanner. According to this article:

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... 0-scanners

Sane 1.0.25 or later supports Reflecta scanners (for the first time, apparently). You could compile it from source, but there is a PPA of 1.0.26 available that will make it much easier to install. You can get the PPA here:

https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+arch ... u/sane-git

To install it, enter these lines into a terminal, one at a time:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git

sudo apt-get update

Then open your Update Manager, and sane should be listed as available for update.

I don't have a Reflecta scanner, so I have no way of testing it, but I was able to install it with no problems. And I'm still not sure whether your particular is supported.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

Thank for your reply jimallyn.

I followed your instructions and all went well. I even got a notice that there was an update for the “Sane back-end” when I restarted the Computer.

However, it doesn’t look like my particular scanner is supported.

I am therefore wondering if there is a Mint scanning programme that might include a driver for this particular bit of Hardware?

As already pointed out the Hardware is a reflecta xM-Scan made in Rottenberg/Germany according to a sticker on its base, and the Software supplied is Media Impression 2 by ArcSoft which I have running courtesy of Wine/Winetricks. It is a basic Photo Editing programme and I figure Linux probably has the equivalent which may just work?

I guess we can’t put “Solved” on this one yet. :D

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Bob M wrote:However, it doesn’t look like my particular scanner is supported.
As I feared. I found several places that talked about Reflecta scanners, but none of them specifically mentioned your model.
Bob M wrote:I am therefore wondering if there is a Mint scanning programme that might include a driver for this particular bit of Hardware?
If Mint had a driver for it, it would come in the SANE package.
Bob M wrote:It is a basic Photo Editing programme and I figure Linux probably has the equivalent which may just work?
There are plenty of photo editing programs available for Mint. Probably the most popular is Gimp. But that's not going to overcome the problem that there are no drivers for your scanner.

There is a company that sells drivers for scanners, including Reflecta, but they don't list your model as supported. I think you can download and install their software for a free trial, and if it works, then you can purchase a license for it. If I remember correctly, if you don't have a license for it, it will scan but leave a "watermark" on the scan. Here's their website:

https://www.hamrick.com/

Good luck!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

Thanks for your time and trouble jimallyn.

Not having any luck with VueScan either.

However, I thought I’d install the scanner on a Win10 machine and it reported at one stage it was installing drivers for a 338 Camera. Don’t know if that is a helpful clue or not?

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

Update: :D

There is an old saying among old fishermen “Fish your Feet” and this applies to more than fishing it seems.

In my hunting for a programme to use I found “Gimp”, which is a common photo editing programme already installed, but it was of no help acquiring a photo from a scanner, and then there was this programme “Cheese”, which was among the menu items, so I clicked on that, (only because I’d never heard of it let alone used it), and blow me down up comes the Scanner complete with the photo in the slide.

Brilliant, but when I blew the photo up to full screen it was a little grainy, so I compared the same photo taken by the “Windows” Programme and yes it was. (Remember we are going from a 35mm Slide to a 22” screen so have to be a little forgiving). :wink:

Now, I stand to be corrected, but I think in real life we are looking at a “Camera” as opposed to a “Scanner”, and I don’t know what the default DPI is of “Cheese” programme is compared to “ArcSoft”. The Hardware, (Scanner), is 1800 DPI for what that’s worth.

Anyway, we have the Winning Post in sight as we know there is a linux driver that works with the Scanner (Camera) (albeit it may be incorporated in the Cheese programme) and all I need now is a slightly higher Pixel count or DPI, be that by an adjustment of Cheese, or an affiliate programme.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Bob, that's awesome! I had gotten to where I thought it just couldn't be done, and you proved me wrong. That's twice in the last week that somebody showed me that what I had concluded couldn't be done can, in fact, be done. I hope you are able to get it working at the resolution you need. Let me know if you make further progress!

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

Further Update: :D

Thanks for your interest Jim.

Well google has come up with a number of equivalents to Cheese so I thought I’d start with Guvcview which happened to be included in Synaptic Packet Manager but no joy there, couldn’t find a camera either so uninstalled.

Moved onto QtCam. This doesn’t appear to be a Mint application but it is an Ubuntu 16.04 application so give it a go. It’s not in the Packet manager and had to be installed from Terminal.

Installation went fine and it appeared in the Menu so all good. Opening the programme went fine and it came up with a choice of devices. A 338 Camera was there and so was a Hauppauge TV Card which I’d forgotten all about. (Looks like this programme is on the ball.)

I chose the 338 camera (because that was what the Windows programme was installing drivers for) and there we are the 35mm photo in all its glory. The tool bar allowed me to choose quality of the scan and the saved picture was excellent.

However, there are a few glitches, isn’t there always. :(

1: It doesn’t seem to have any facility to name the photo before saving. It chooses QtCam and the Date and time.

2: I can rename it, but I can’t find a way to edit it because it tells me I don’t have ownership.

This of course means I cant rotate or crop the picture which is nonsense.

Also, when opening the programme one has to enter their password which is a bit of a nuisance
but if I can get over the editing problems it is definitely a keeper.

3: It doesn’t remember your settings for use next time either which is further demerit points.

However, at the end of the day changing the saved images from Read Only is critical.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Not sure which Desktop Environment you are using. If you are using Cinnamon, open your file manager. Navigate to wherever the images are saved. Right click in an empty spot in the file manager, then click Open as Root. You will have to enter your password, and then you can select those files and click Properties and change the owner and permissions. If you are using something other than Cinnamon, the procedure is probably just about the same.

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

Thanks Jim worked a treat. :D

Yes Desktop is Cinnamon.

Now to find how to change the defaults and possibly make a desktop shortcut and we're all done. :idea:

Thanks a million,

Bob

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

All done. :D

Just to tidy up this thread I can advise that Qtcam can operate fine with my “reflecta” 35mm Slide scanner and is every bit as good as the Windows Software supplied with the Scanner.

I guess then this thread should be tagged “Solved”, however, being a newbie, I’ll leave that bit to jimallyn’s discretion.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Bob M wrote:I guess then this thread should be tagged “Solved”, however, being a newbie, I’ll leave that bit to jimallyn’s discretion.
No, that's totally up to you. If everything is working to your satisfaction, edit your first post and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Driver for reflecta xM-scanner for old 35mm Photos (Solved)

Post by Bob M »

All good, thanks. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”