Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
milinunxt
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't start Mint after update

Post by milinunxt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:44 am

Hello forum,
on my laptop I have installed OpenSuse 42.2, Linux Mint 18 and Windows 8. After installing the recommended updates for OpenSuse I can not boot Mint anymore. The following error message is displayed:
Error: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic has invalid signature
Error: You have to load kernel first

OpenSuse works fine and also Windows can still be started - which is only a sore solace.

I had the same problem when I have installed Leap. Yet at that time I have afterwards also freshly installed the new version of Mint which replaced Leap's boot menue with Mint's with which I could start each OS. But now after the update Leap's boot menue is in use again yielding the old problem.

I would be glad if someone could help me making Mint start again - preferably without having re-install it!

I have also requested help in the OpenSuse forum because I don't know in whose area this problem falls.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by milinunxt on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikereading
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't start Mint after update

Post by ilikereading » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:07 am

Is there a solid reason you need all 3 OS? If not, choose one, less headache :D
Last edited by ilikereading on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 am

milinunxt wrote:I would be glad if someone could help me making Mint start again - preferably without having re-install it!
This is a job for SuperGrub2
Boot the SuperGrub2 CD and you can boot into Mint.
Details are here :arrow: viewtopic.php?t=230770#p1221490
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 am

I guess OpenSuse destroyed the bootloader. If Mint was installed last, it was in charge of the bootloader and you should not let OpenSuse update it. Only Linux Mint should be used for this.

I would use a Linux Mint live disk to chroot in your existent Linux Mint system. Then I would update grub from there. And after a reboot, it should be able to boot properly again.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 am

killer de bug wrote: I would use a Linux Mint live disk to chroot in your existent Linux Mint system. Then I would update grub from there. And after a reboot, it should be able to boot properly again.
These instructions have always helped me whenever I broke grub:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 am

Oh. Nice tutorial. I wasn't aware of this. It seems easier than what I offered. You don't need a full chroot. :)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 am

It would be a nice tutorial, if this part of Paragraph 2 were not wrong.
2. Look at the list of partitons and see what one is the Linux Mint partiton.You can tell this by looking at the Mount Points of the partitons. You should see one with a "/" under Mount Point and its File system will likely be EXT4.
If you are booted into the live Mint, your root partition on the hard drive will not show "/"

Then after you get past that error and try the rest of the procedure, you will be searching for your lost cow...
chroot or SuperGrub2 are the ones to try.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

milinunxt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by milinunxt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:59 am

Many thanks for the quick and numerous support!

With your hints I could repair my system. I will give a brief explanation in case someone else encounters the same problem; maybe it can be helpful then.

1. I burnt the SuperGrub CD
2. I had to disable Secure Boot to use the CD
3. I selected "Boot manually" and picked one of the options that seemed to start my installation of Mint - which it actually did on the first attempt
4. I followed the instructions of the above mentioned tutorial but encountered a problem with EFI that I had no clue to solve on my own
Yet the tips given seemed to aim at reinstalling grub2, so I searched on the web and found https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GRUB_2/Reparatur/
According to this site
5. I issued in a terminal: sudo apt-get update
6. I issued in a terminal: sudo apt-get --reinstall install grub-common grub-efi-amd64 os-prober
This restored my old bootmenue. Maybe luck of a rookie but I don't mind.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:38 pm

milinunxt wrote:With your hints I could repair my system.
Congrats! Good job. Now please be careful and don't let OpenSuse touch Grub. It has to be handled by Linux Mint in your case.

Return to “Installation & Boot”