[SOLVED] Install Epson XP-235 (Printer, Scanner, WiFi)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bebs
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Install Epson XP-235 (Printer, Scanner, WiFi)

Post by Bebs »

Hi!
I would like to install a WiFi printer/scanner, Epson XP-235.

I went online, and I found many topics about it, also people managing how to do it and having problems with scanner, but I didn't find how to actually do it, from scratch as a newbie. I'm also not sure whether these topics confirm the WiFi works with this printer/scanner with linux or not.

I also have a Windows machine, so I simply used the Epson CD on this one. But here I have a Linux Mint laptop with no CD and I don't now how to start.

EDIT :
I could install the printer, but the scanner is not found.

I did follow these steps viewtopic.php?t=217894 (install Image Scan V3 from EPSON) but Image Scan doesn't find the scanner.
Last edited by Bebs on Sat May 06, 2017 3:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1

Bebs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install Epson XP-235 WiFi Printer/Scanner

Post by Bebs »

I'll answer to myself as I reach a first step: Installing the Printer, working via USB.

1. Here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/ download the right driver.

2. Install LSB package.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lsb

3. Install driver package, replace DRIVER_PACKAGE by the real name.

sudo dpkg -i DRIVER_PACKAGE.deb
4. Connect my printer with a USB cable, it worked.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Install Epson XP-235, Scanner not found

Post by pdc_2 »

well done: I understand the printer works? You would have needed to download epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.13-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb if you have a 64bit system; amd64 for the 64bit, and the .deb ending for ubuntu/mint/debian based distros.

You don't tell us which version of Mint you have: the Epson site seems it wants to know that; it is a 12MB package;

For the scanner, if you go here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 479608cbd9

if you are using Mint 18.1, it is based on Ubuntu 16.04 so you would download what is the package imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-16.04-1.3.20.x64.deb.tar.gz please elect to SAVE it as it comes down. and it should end up in your Downloads folder ..

the thing is: it has an install script in it; and it just might ............ do all the stuff that is needed .............. and so save you .......... so if you can open a terminal; ie click on the black tv screen on the bottom toolbar ......... and if you copy each of the commands below; one by one; into the terminal; and hit the ENTER key after each paste .......... and to paste, if you right-click at the text prompt in the terminal; where it is flashing on and off and the PASTE option should appear ........

so the commands would be

cd Downloads
........ that gets you "inside" the Downloads directory, where the package should be waiting ...........

tar -zxvf imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-16.04-1.3.20.x64.deb.tar.gz
....... the tar command "unpacks" the compressed tar.gz package for you and creates a directory called imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-16.04-1.3.20.x64.deb

cd imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-16.04-1.3.20.x64.deb
...... that gets you "inside" that directory, where the install script is sitting, ready to go;

./install.sh
and that is going to run the install script; at some point, it will ask you for your sudo password; so if you enter it when needed;

Epson make the hardware; Epson write this software; so there should be a chance they have got it to work; so let's see ......... sound ok?

Bebs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install Epson XP-235, Scanner not found

Post by Bebs »

Thanks for you quick answer.
I tried with the imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-18-1.3.20.x64.deb. Isn't it supposed to work? I have Mint 18.

EDIT:
It did work with the linuxmint version, after I followed pdc_2's advice by installing it in command line (I first tried with double clicking on the .sh file).
Now the Epson XP-235 is well detected, but the image disapears after the scan ends, like in this post viewtopic.php?t=217894#p1140490.

EDIT:
With that topic, I could make all work in WiFi, Printer and Scanner... but one mystery remains is Simple Scan works, but Image Scan don't !?.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Install Epson XP-235, Scanner found but image disappears

Post by pdc_2 »

well done Bebs; you did very well to get through all that and get the scanner working;

if Simple Scan works, that is good as it is "run" by the sane software; if you install xsane, it also uses the same "sane" software gives you many more options to alter a scan ......... http://www.xsane.org/xsane-introduction.html

you can install it from synaptic or the command

sudo apt install xsane
and then an option to open it should appear in our Graphics folder; and after that, you can add it to the bottom tool bar if you wish

Bebs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install Epson XP-235, Scanner found but image disappears

Post by Bebs »

Thank you, it is a good program and it works, as you guessed :D !

Return to “Newbie Questions”