Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED(I think)]Installing Mint Without a SWAP Partition

Post by RobertX »

I have a gigabyte of memory on one my computers and have been using that to back up using Systemback for some time.

I do recall on some circumstances that the remastered setup will freeze on Firefox.

The last case of this happened last night or two nights ago. Then, this morning, I reinstalled a new installation onto the defective one and, this time, specified a SWAP partition of more than 2GBs, and, this time, it worked.

So my question is: do I necessarily need a SWAP partition to install the latest Mint at 1GB?
Last edited by RobertX on Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing Mint Without a SWAP Partition

Post by gold_finger »

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Perhaps best to include output of following command in a terminal, which will show exact hardware specs of your system:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
See here for how to post that output back to the forum for us to look at.

Are you asking if a Swap partition is necessary if computer only has 1GB of RAM? If so, then "yes"; and probably best to make a 2GB Swap partition. These days using the Firefox web browser alone can consume much of that 1GB of RAM. If all RAM gets used and you don't have a Swap partition computer will crash/freeze.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved, I think]Installing Mint Without a SWAP Partition

Post by RobertX »

Thanks, gold_finger.

I think I have the necessary answer.

EDIT: Now a trivial question: Swap partitions are like fallback positions of memory use, are they?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED(I think)]Installing Mint Without a SWAP Partition

Post by gold_finger »

RobertX wrote:EDIT: Now a trivial question: Swap partitions are like fallback positions of memory use, are they?
Yes. If memory required is more than available in RAM, then some of whats in RAM will be swapped temporarily to the swap partition on hard drive. Hard drive access is much slower than RAM, so when this happens you'll see a noticeable lag at times -- eg. when whatever you're doing requires info now on swap vs. still in RAM. If computer allows it and price is not out of budget, upgrading amount of RAM can help a lot. One site to check for possible RAM upgrades is http://www.crucial.com/.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ RobertX

The Swap partition is for virtual memory and the Hibernation(= suspend-to-disk) mode. Virtual memory on the hard-disk supplements RAM memory when computer operation resource requirements exceed RAM memory capacity, eg opening more than 4 tabs in Firefox. The Swap partition should be at least the same size as RAM.
....... Normally, for computers with RAM of 3GB or below, the Swap partition is needed. For computers with RAM of 4GB or above, the Swap partition is not needed unless Hibernation mode is used.

RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertX »

I reinstalled Mint and dedicated 5GB of my hard drive space as swap for the 1GB RAM machine.

Is that overkill?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Yes, 2GB should be max you need. If you've got plenty of extra room on drive don't worry about it though -- 5GB Swap won't hurt anything or cause any performance problems.

Return to “Installation & Boot”