Is there something like ctrl-alt-del

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cybervigilante

Is there something like ctrl-alt-del

Post by cybervigilante »

My mouse got stuck twice now and I had to manually shut down. I usually clear this with ctrl-alt-del in windows. Is there a similiar key command in linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is there something like ctrl-alt-del

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

cybervigilante wrote:My mouse got stuck twice now and I had to manually shut down. I usually clear this with ctrl-alt-del in windows. Is there a similiar key command in linux?
Did you try ctrl-alt-delete? In KDE this brings up a dialog with options: logoff, turnoff, restart. In System Settings there is a module called "Shortcuts & Gestures" where I can see all shortcut keys.

What desktop are you using? The GUI answer will be different depending on desktop (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, XFCE).

The command line answer will be the same. Do you just want to interrupt a process or kill it, or your session?

Linux has multiple virtual terminals. Your desktop is started in one, usually #7. If you type ctrl-alt-f1 you will be at virtual terminal 1, then alt-f2, then alt-f3, ... alt-f7 and you are back to your graphical desktop. But while at ctrl-alt-f1, login. To display a process, use ps (ps aux). To kill a process, use kill (kill -s 15 PID (or 9)) or killall (killall -u USER (you'll have to re-login @ VT7)). You can also use something like top or htop to display and kill.

I'd find out why your mouse keeps getting stuck :-)
Cosmo.

Post by Cosmo. »

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

There are a number of possibilities; for a first try use ctrl-alt-backspace.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

REISUB - the gentle Linux restart

A frozen Linux system that's not responding to the Ctrl-Alt-Delete three-finger-salute can be restarted more safely than by pushing the power button, which is usually the next step.

Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB will get you safely restarted. REISUO will do a shutdown rather than a restart.

Sounds like either an April Fools joke or some very strange magic akin to the old BIOS beeps we used to use to diagnose PC faults so bad that nothing would boot. Wikipedia comes to the rescue with an in-depth listing of all the SysRq keys.

R: Switch the keyboard from raw mode to XLATE mode
E: Send the SIGTERM signal to all processes except init
I: Send the SIGKILL signal to all processes except init
S: Sync all mounted filesystems
U: Remount all mounted filesystems in read-only mode
B: Immediately reboot the system, without unmounting partitions or syncing

(Discovered originally http://fosswire.com/2008/04/22/ubuntu-cheat-sheet/
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
cybervigilante

Post by cybervigilante »

Thanks - that works. Although it would be easier if I had three hands. You'd think they'd have something simpler, though. All systems get stuck on occasion.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

cybervigilante wrote:My mouse got stuck twice now and I had to manually shut down. I usually clear this with ctrl-alt-del in windows. Is there a similiar key command in linux?
Sounds like a hardware problem to me.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Try reseating the HDD plugs.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

900i wrote:REISUB - the gentle Linux restart
(Discovered originally http://fosswire.com/2008/04/22/ubuntu-cheat-sheet/
Interesting. Does this work for you?
The default has changed for security purposes.
Current systems manage it through: /etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf

A stuck mouse should be a very rare event.

Do you have use of the keyboard? If your entire system is froze, maybe you have a run away process.
Have you unplugged/plugged your mouse to make sure there isn't a loose connection.
Do you have a spare mouse you can try?
If you left your system for say, 1 min, does the mouse become active again?
Check the log, /var/log/syslog to see if there are any errors or message at the time of the stuck mouse.
If you want to fix the stuck mouse problem, we'll need to know more about your hardware. You'll often see, issue the command inxi -Fxz and provide the results.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

900i wrote: Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB will get you safely restarted. REISUO will do a shutdown rather than a restart.
I don't know how many other people have this issue, but I have to press and hold Ctrl+Alt while pressing Print Screen/SysRq, then let up on Print Screen/SysRq and then start pressing REISUB while holding down Ctrl+Alt This is different from when I started with Linux Mint Cinnamon back in March of 2016, no idea when it changed.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 »

I usually change the power saver settings after a system install, there you can set your power button action, I usually change it from Sleep to Shutdown. When you are stuck pressing the power button will do a clean shutdown of the system. To me with such fast boot times of many computers especially with SSD the sleep mode is a nuisance and a source of a lot of headaces especially on Windows and I very rarely use it.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Plug in another mouse and test.
NietGiftig

Post by NietGiftig »

900i wrote:REISUB - the gentle Linux restart
Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB will get you safely restarted. REISUO will do a shutdown rather than a restart.
Need two people to do this, or you have very long fingers or a very small keybord
Amii_Leigh wrote: I don't know how many other people have this issue, but I have to press and hold Ctrl+Alt while pressing Print Screen/SysRq, then let up on Print Screen/SysRq and then start pressing REISUB while holding down Ctrl+Alt This is different from when I started with Linux Mint Cinnamon back in March of 2016, no idea when it changed.
Look more manageable
Witch one is correct, or are both correct?
If so, I take the last one
Cosmo.

Post by Cosmo. »

What Amii_Leigh wrote is strange, but with the one or other special keyboard not impossible. The main point is, that SysReq has to get pressed. This is mostly located at the print-key and gets selected by holding the alt-key (without ctrl). So that is the usual method, but some keyboards need some different approach.

Yes, entering reisub, while alt (left down) and print (top right) are both pressed, is surely not something, who suffers from arthrosis or similar. But it usually works, if needed. You should at first try, if ctrl-alt-backspace is sufficient to get the computer working again. In some cases it is enough to press ctrl-alt-F1 and afterwards alt-left; if this should be enough it has the advantage, that the session gets continued.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

cosmo is correct...ctrl-alt-backspace always works for me...DAMIEN
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "cybervigilante",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

What type of mouse and keyboard are you using, USB, wireless, bluetooth, PS2, etc...? sometimes on wirelsess mice if their batteries are low, then that will happen, or if they are too far away from the receiver. Sometimes you can unplug the mouse, and re-insert it, and then it will work properly from then on. If the problem persists, you can try another USB port for USB devices...

As for "Ctrl-Alt-Del", you can use that in most Linux Mint systems, hit Esc if you did not want that. If I want to stop an application, I can hit "Ctrl+Alt+Esc" the cursor will change, then click an application's window titlebar to force close that application (Again hitting Esc if you did not want that). For rebooting or restarting a computer, with my right hand hold down the right side ALT+Printscreen keys, and with my left hand type in "reisub" to restart or "reisuo" to shut it down. I do have large hands though, and it seems like an awkward key combination which almost requires you to be a contortionist, but it works instantaneously.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
cybervigilante

Post by cybervigilante »

ctrl alt bksp seems to work as well as the more obfuscated one so I'll keep that and just cold shutdown on the rare occasion it doesn't. I only had the mouse problem on one boot, so I doubt it's the mouse. I just wanted to know what to do on a screen freeze. Now, if only there was an answer to no HDMI sound in cinnamon. I checked all over google and some get it fixed and some don't. So far I'm don't ;) But the old plugin speakers work and I'm not an audiophile so I'll just check now and then to see if there's a solution.

Oh, if there's some version of Linux close to cinnamon that works with HDMI sound, can I switch to that but keep my installed programs, and if so, how?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "cybervigilante",

Create another post please for this new topic and post the results of "inxi -Fxzd" in that as well...
:)
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”