Transitional?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cecilieaux
Level 4
Level 4

Transitional?

Postby cecilieaux » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

What is the difference between a "transitional" package and a "development" package?

I have a yen to try the text browser Lynx after many years (I used it via ftp from Windows 3.1 ages and ages ago). I saw it in the Software Manager and they have

lynx: text-mode www browser (transitional package)

lynx-cur: Text-mode www browser with nls support (development version)

I just want to use it, for fun.

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Transitional?

Postby richyrich » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

When you read the description for lynx in Synaptic Package Manager, it points you to lynx-cur.

cecilieaux
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cecilieaux » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 pm

richyrich wrote:When you read the description for lynx in Synaptic Package Manager, it points you to lynx-cur.

Thank you, but is there a rule of thumb to be followed with these terms (transitional, development)?

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Postby richyrich » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

I can only give you my personal thoughts whenever I see those terms.
When I see Transitional, I look for a newer package, possibly with a different name, sometimes needing a web search.
When I see Development, I expect that I may run into small glitches or even bugs, again I always like to do a little research before installing.

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Spearmint2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm

To me they mean the same; "Not LTS"
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”