CUPS on 18.2

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

CUPS on 18.2

Post by unkilbeeg »

I've been struggling to get CUPS set up on 18.2. This may not be related to Mint itself -- it seems that the interaction of systemd and cups makes connecting to the CUPS web interface problematic at the best of times, but my particular problem isn't quite the normal one.

The problem I'm having is getting the web interface to load at all. CUPS itself seems to be working fine -- I can go to the printer dialogs from the control panel, but the web interface isn't available, and I can do a lot more flexible configuration with the web interface.

One common problem that I've found others complaining about is that cupsd only stays alive for a very short time before it shuts itself down, and once it does the web port goes away. If only that were my problem. Yes, cupsd shuts down in seconds (usually under a minute) from when you start it up, but for me, it doesn't matter if it's running or not -- it fails to bind to port 631 anyway. I can fight the "it shuts down too soon" battle once I get it working right in the first place.

Code: Select all

E [26/Jun/2017:16:05:58 -0700] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Address already in use.
E [26/Jun/2017:16:05:58 -0700] Unable to open listen socket for address 127.0.0.1:631 - Address already in use.
E [26/Jun/2017:16:05:58 -0700] Unable to open listen socket for address 0.0.0.0:631 - Address already in use.
But it's not! Well, actually the IPV6 port is in use, I'm not sure why. But not the IPV4 ports, which are the ones I want anyway:

Code: Select all

tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 localhost:6010          *:*                     LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 localhost:20017         *:*                     LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 localhost:20018         *:*                     LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 [::]:ssh                [::]:*                  LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 [::]:ipp                [::]:*                  LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 ip6-localhost:6010      [::]:*                  LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 ip6-localhost:20017     [::]:*                  LISTEN
So does anyone have any idea what's going on here? What could be preventing the IPV4 ports from binding? There's NOTHING using them!
MintBean

Re: CUPS on 18.2

Post by MintBean »

Report the problem on the 18.2 beta announcement thread if you haven't already done so.
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: CUPS on 18.2

Post by unkilbeeg »

OK, I hadn't, but that's a good idea. I'll do that now.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”