burning programs cannot write to cd/dvd rom only read media.

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MosheLikesBagels7
Level 1
Level 1

burning programs cannot write to cd/dvd rom only read media.

Post by MosheLikesBagels7 »

burning programs cannot write to cd/dvd optical drive only read media. Everything works OK in Windows 10, I can write to disk and read from disk.

How do I correct the situation?

Installed Linux Mint 18.2 Mate

moshe7@moshe7-ThinkPad-T420 ~ $ ls /dev/sr0
/dev/sr0

moshe7@moshe7-ThinkPad-T420 ~ $ dmesg | grep DVD
[ 4.655489] ata2.00: ATAPI: Optiarc DVD ROM DDU7710H, 1RS0, max UDMA/100
[ 4.662305] scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM Optiarc DVD ROM DDU7710H 1RS0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
m

Please note that no burning software can write to drive at present. I've even tried Nero 4, and through playonlinux imgburn.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: burning programs cannot write to cd/dvd rom only read media.

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MosheLikesBagels7",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Assuming you installed the 3rd party multimedia applications (mint-meta-codecs) during the Linux Mint installation, like almost everyone should, have you installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)? If not, I recommend doing that.

It is generally accepted that the 2 best Linux CD and DVD applications are "xfburn" and "K3b", and both are in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). I personally think "K3b" is the best. If you are using the Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce, then from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", install "kde-runtime", search for "K3b" and install that, and right click it and install all the recommended and suggested packages as well, reboot (restart), and you can use "K3b" for CD and DVD discs.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

MosheLikesBagels7 wrote:burning programs cannot write to cd/dvd rom
Of course not. Instead of trying to burn to a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM), try using a CR-R (or DVD-R). There are several other types that can be written to - but CD-ROM isn't one of them, and neither is DVD-ROM.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JerryF
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JerryF »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Of course not. Instead of trying to burn to a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM), try using a CR-R (or DVD-R). There are several other types that can be written to - but CD-ROM isn't one of them, and neither is DVD-ROM.

Regards,
MDM
How is Moshe able to write when using Windows?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

JerryF wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote: Of course not. Instead of trying to burn to a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM), try using a CR-R (or DVD-R). There are several other types that can be written to - but CD-ROM isn't one of them, and neither is DVD-ROM.

Regards,
MDM
Microsoft Windows? If someone told me they were successfully able to burn to a *-ROM (which is patently impossible, without commercial-style disc-recording equipment, AFAIK) using one of Microsoft's OS, I'd just assume that the OS mistakenly telling the user that he/she was successfully able to burn data to a PRE-FILLED non-burnable disc, was just another failing of...

Oh, forget it. Go look up the definition of *-ROM.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JerryF
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JerryF »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
JerryF wrote:

Regards,
MDM
Microsoft Windows? If someone told me they were successfully able to burn to a *-ROM (which is patently impossible, without commercial-style disc-recording equipment, AFAIK) using one of Microsoft's OS, I'd just assume that the OS mistakenly telling the user that he/she was successfully able to burn data to a PRE-FILLED non-burnable disc, was just another failing of...

Oh, forget it. Go look up the definition of *-ROM.
I do realize what you're saying. My response was tongue-in-cheek.

But on the serious side, maybe OP has the wrong Linux driver for the optical drive so it can't write?

Return to “MATE”