Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pelzian
Level 2
Level 2

Upgrade manager in Mint vs apt command line

Post by Pelzian »

Just a little question.
Normali with debian I use to update/upgrade the distro using the console comand like apt update or apt-get upgrade. In this distro I have notcied that there is an upgrade manager. In this one are signed what is useful to upgrade and what is not, but the question is: if I use the normal command as I wrote above do I make something wrong?

Thanks
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Upgrade manager in Mint vs apt command line

Post by catweazel »

Short answer: Possibly, but it depends on your experience level.
Long answer: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252511&p=1358689#p1358689
See the post by mr_raider, who explains it in detail.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

It's better to use the terminal application mintupdate-tool, because it respects the protective level system.

For example, for installing all security fixes from all levels (kernel updates excluded), and all ordinary bug fixes from level 1, 2 and 3:

Code: Select all

sudo mintupdate-tool upgrade -r -l123 -s -nk
More information:

Code: Select all

mintupdate-tool -h
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

AFAIK sudo apt-get update is safe but I wouldn't use sudo apt-get upgrade or (especially) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

One of the differences between Debian and mint/iubuntu is that debian tends to assume you really know what you're doing. Mint and ubunut don't.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Hoser Rob wrote:AFAIK sudo apt-get update is safe but I wouldn't use sudo apt-get upgrade or (especially) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
Interesting... I ran sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on Mint for years without issue. For some reason, I started using the manager a few months ago. I guess I will stick with it. I have noticed more people recommending to use the manager.
Mint 19.1 MATE x64
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

dcrowder wrote:Interesting... I ran sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on Mint for years without issue. For some reason, I started using the manager a few months ago. I guess I will stick with it. I have noticed more people recommending to use the manager.
dist-upgrade nowadays is for experts who can fix their machine if it gets b0rked. The update manager adds a layer of comfort and certainty for less experienced users.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Good point, catweazel. Even though I am using the manager, I install everything so in essence I am doing a dist-upgrade but via GUI rather than CLI.
Mint 19.1 MATE x64
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Oy... so much mis information:

https://itsfoss.com/apt-vs-apt-get-difference/

The mintupdate can be as dangerous as apt-get dist-upgrade.

Until releasing mintupdate-tool, I always used the command line:

1. apt upgrade

2. Inspect the output and see what packages are updated, new ones installed and most important, what packages are REMOVED, before clicking y

3. If some packages are held back, re-run the command after

apt full-upgrade

And see what it want to remove.

The big difference is that apt will not hold back "level 5" updates, since that is mint only creation. You should not that in Ubuntu/Debian apt will automatically update the kernel, in Mint it will NOT.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mr_raider wrote:The mintupdate can be as dangerous as apt-get dist-upgrade.
FUD. That's only true if you don't read the text on your screen before you maniacally click buttons without a second thought.
Pelzian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pelzian »

Okay, I guess what Mint do with mintupdate-tool.
But let me tell that apt-get update/upgrade are not so destructive functions, they only run what is available and what is old for the new version you are upgrading, but sometime is not so safety and for that reason we can also use aptitude much more deep in its analysis for the dependencies then apt. That's my experience. At least all depends on what we are doing with our computer.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote:
FUD. That's only true if you don't read the text on your screen before you maniacally click buttons without a second thought.
Quite true, but there are a lot of beginners using Mint who are used to Windows, where that sort of thing is expected if not encouraged.

The truth about Linux is that you kind of need to be your own system administrator.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Hoser Rob wrote:
catweazel wrote:
Quite true, but there are a lot of beginners using Mint who are used to Windows, where that sort of thing is expected if not encouraged.

The truth about Linux is that you kind of need to be your own system administrator.
Exactly. You need to read it. If for some reason teh updater wants to remove xorg, mesa or grub, you need to pay attention. The point is mintupdate, apt and apt-get all follow the same dependency rules. They can all bork your system if you are not careful. Mint insulates you against that partially, but not totally.

Return to “Software & Applications”