I have IPv6 on machine but not on Firefox or Chrome

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xpro
Level 1
Level 1

I have IPv6 on machine but not on Firefox or Chrome

Post by xpro »

I have checked and confirmed that I have a IPv6 IP on my machine with the following methods

Code: Select all

ip -6 addr
and by going to network settings of my wifi connection and checking there.

But when I visit http://test-ipv6.com, it says that I do not have a IPv6 IP address. I have attached the screenshot.

What is the problem here? Why does the system have IPv6 but not FIrefox and Chrome?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: I have IPv6 on machine but not on Firefox or Chrome

Post by karlchen »

Hello, xpro.

Does your internet provider support IPv6? Does your ISP assign an IPv6 IP address to your router?
Having support for IPv6 on Mint and your router is fine; but it will not help in case your ISP should not support IPv6.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

In Firefox > about:config, set "network.dns.disableIPV6" to false and see if that helps. Probably won't fully fix it, I'm still looking in to that.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

What is the IPv6 address you get?

If it starts with fe80, then it is a local address which can only be used to communicate with other devices in your local network. Many routers assign addresses like that when there is no IPv6 service from the ISP.
In my previous home I had a Ubee router (from Ziggo) which allowed me to communicate with my network printer over IPv6, for instance, using the fe80::something IPv6 address assigned to it by the router, even though Ziggo didn't actually offer any IPv6 services to my location.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Mine starts with 2a02. Only get 9/10 on the tests though.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "xpro",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Why do you think you need IPv6, or why do you want that?

Here is a good link to read with information on checking IPv6, and or making IPv4 a priority preference, or disabling IPv6 all together.

https://www.blackmoreops.com/2015/08/04 ... -in-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

sometimes even though i don't use an option or is disabled, i get annoyed when it is not working properly or i do not have control over it. i would feel that way about IPV6 and found out that my router (if it was off for the night) would start in IPV4 mode even though it is able to receive IPV6 and my ISP and router supported it
i would go into the router web-admin settings (for me 192.168.1.254) and would do a soft restart only of the connection and upon restart i would have IPV6 tests at 10/10. other times all i would need is to wait a few hours and the router would do this on it's own.

but i noticed that using IPV6 many times that my installed DNS would leak and start using the ISP DNS which i don't want, so in router settings i disabled IPV6

do a soft restart in router settings (THAT|S RESTART NOT RESET)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "xpro",

From the Link you provided and the one below, if you run "ifconfig" from the console terminal prompt, or the command you have "ip -6 addr", and look for your networking adapter that you connect to the Internet with (not "lo"), and look for the line that says "inet6 addr: ", any address starting with "::", "fc", "fd", or "fe" are unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet, and therefore you only have IPv4 access.
http://test-ipv6.com/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Networking”