Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
meitnerium
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen with cursor after log-in

Post by meitnerium »

Hi everyone,

first of all, thanks for looking at this question. After my system ran fine for a few months I ran into a great problem (which seems to be quite common, but the solutions provided by others didn't work out):
When booting, I get to the GNU-Grub as well as the log-in screen. After logging in there's just a black screen with a cursor left.

Stuff I tried/ found out so far
  • Of course I followed the instructions pinned on the top of this board (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257) but this didn't change anything.
  • Using Ctrl-Alt-F1 I managed to get into the terminal from the black screen and installed another desktop. I rebooted and changed the desktop to be used on the log-in screen - nothing changed. (This did help for other users)
  • I tried wether "sudo apt-get update" would be of any help - it wasn't
  • Typing "glxinfo" returned "unable to open display"
  • Logging in with a different user: didn't change anything
  • Running "mdm-recovery": The program ran well but didn't help
  • "startX" returns "command not found"
  • There are some strange TeX-files hanging around on my laptop which have been causing problems for quite a few days now, I removed them yesterday using "sudo apt-get remove" which solved lots of the problems I had then, but now some of these packages seem to be back, because...
  • "sudo dpkg -- audit" tells me that there is a couple of TeXlive-packages (and "context", a TeX package) which are not or not properly configured - anyway, I can't really believe that those are causing the problems
System information
As of yesterday:

Code: Select all

tjard@heinrich ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: heinrich Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP 350 G2 version: 098F200000000010000600087
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 803A version: KBC Version 46.11 Bios: Insyde version: F.13 date: 06/10/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-5010U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8380.18
           Clock Speeds: 1: 500.00 MHz 2: 600.00 MHz 3: 500.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Broadwell x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be port: 4000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 5000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (42.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 211G used: 74G (37%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0C mobo: 0.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 4:24 Memory: 1079.6/3936.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

I saw some solutions including boot-repair and one thread (https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... page2.html) also seems promising, but I don't really dare to try that stuff without some advice because I know about nothing about what happens there.

Thanks a lot for having read through all this, I would be extremely glad if someone could help me; I really liked LinuxMINT :D

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Black screen with cursor after log-in

Post by kukamuumuka »

Fixing the black screen after grub boot-up -> https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

meitnerium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meitnerium »

Thank you very much for that link. I went through all possible combinations listed there but none did solve my issue, maybe I just made a mistake in following the instructions. It would be great if you (or someone else) could have a quick look on what I did and wether it was the right thing:

Replacing line 2 ("gfxmode...") with

nomodeset  grub_gfxmode=1280x1024x24
and after "splash" replacing

vt_handoff
with

nomodeset
produced a screen saying:

Booting a command list...
Error: Can't find command "nomodeset"
Press any key to continue...
followed by 4 green dots on the screen and then a log-in screen. After log-in the black screen with cursor was back. Changing only line 2 or adding

nomodeset
behind

vt_handoff
instead of replacing it didn't change anything at all.

Actually I can't get a command line anymore after I did this (which was possible beforehand).

meitnerium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meitnerium »

Hi,

thanks for answering again. Just to get this right: I should give up my current installation and reinstall Linux with Mate desktop?
I'll try that in the next days and hope that it'll finally fix the issue (although that's really annoying now; having to reinstall everything,...

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

meitnerium wrote:Hi,

thanks for answering again. Just to get this right: I should give up my current installation and reinstall Linux with Mate desktop?
I'll try that in the next days and hope that it'll finally fix the issue (although that's really annoying now; having to reinstall everything,...
Mate is more functional with some complex hardware. Of course you can install bare desktop-environment if you have internet connection.

apt install mate-desktop mate-desktop-common mate-common mate-applets mdm

jrasor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrasor »

The black screen with only mouse pointer hit me a month ago. Fixed it today (Merry Christmas!) by dumping stuff off my Mint partition. It was 96.2% full. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”