Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

<Solved> Viber Installation Problem

Post by TheDesigner »

Hi Linux Mint Forum's members
i've a problem in installing viber on my Linux Mint Cinnamon Sonya, when i downloaded Viber from the official site, as Viber for Debian (Viber.deb) i open it with Gdebi Package Installer, to tell me that this Viber.deb is not a debian package, and that's really messed me up, for your information, the file is not partial download and i've test that four times guys, and it's from the official site! i really need this viber on my linux.
Hope you can help me with this problem
Thank you very much guys.
Last edited by TheDesigner on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Viber Installation Problem

Post by minitux »

Install it with apt , if you have viber.deb in Downloads directory

Code: Select all

cd Downloads && sudo apt install ./viber.deb

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

Nothing yet mate, here is my terminal what it's say.

Thedezigna@Kyouko ~ $ cd Downloads && sudo apt install ./viber.deb
[sudo] password for thedezigna:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr:i386 : Depends: lsb:i386 (>= 3.2) but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
Thedesigna@Kyouko ~/Downloads $

don't mind about "epson-inkjet-printer it's a driver i went to install but also i get big NO, seems this linux little bit weird, i even update it!

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

Run

sudo apt install -f
and post all the output

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

you mean like

sudo apt install -f cd Downloads && sudo apt install ./viber.deb
??

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

No, only
minitux wrote:Run

sudo apt install -f
and post all the output

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

"Viber" for Linux is for 64-bit computers only, but the 32-bit Ms Windows version (viber.exe) can be installed using Linux Wine.

Apparently you must have Viber installed on a mobile device first to be able to use Viber desktop application. I do not.

Here are simple instructions to install Viber messenger that work in Linux 64-bit computers:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-the-vi ... x-systems/
To install this open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

wget -c download.cdn.viber.com/cdn/desktop/Linux/Viber.zip

unzip Viber.zip

cd Viber

./Viber.sh
You can create a desktop shortcut launcher or menu item using the "./Viber.sh" command, no quotes.
phd21 wrote: Bad non-working instructions that I tried:
I have tried numerous times to download and install Viber using their Linux "deb" file on my Linux Mint 17.2 KDE system, and using the "Gdebi" installer claims it is corrupted, using the "QApt" installer worked, but it will not come up? I will try again in my Linux Mint 18.2 KDE system.

sudo apt-get install gdebi

wget download.cdn.viber.com/cdn/desktop/Linux/viber.deb

sudo gdebi viber.deb
Hope this helps ...
Viber on my Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

i get a spark of hope for a second, everything works good then voilà custom error because it's a Beta Version (Still beta version in linux), and i have a question, why they say change to KDE (linux users), i prefer KDE! is it good?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-11-27 22-52-36.png

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner",

Did you right click the viber startup script file "Viber.sh" in their folder, or the whole folder, select properties, permission tab, check allow executable or executable, apply, okay? Then -retry.

After you enter in your mobile phone number, if you click continue do you get that error, or before that?

Who said to change to KDE? I use the Linux Mint KDE systems and I love them, but all Linux Mint editions are wonderful and work well.

Hope this helps ...
Viber_Setting_Folder_Permissions2.jpg
Viber_Setting_File_Permission2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

still the same problem, even when i changed permissions, but there is a strange thing in permission first time i found like you see in picture N°1
when i click apply permissions to to enclosed files it back to its first appearance in picture N°1 !!! but update the date of last change, yet ... there is no differ, viber still have a custom_error
Attachments
Picture N°1
Picture N°1
Picture N°2
Picture N°2

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner"

You never answered my previous request...

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

We can assume that it does not appear to be a permissions issue. So, now we need to look for something else.

Like I said before, I do not have a smart phone (although I want one) with Viber installed and working which is a requirement for Viber desktop application, so I cannot test this for you. Do you have an active Viber account on a mobile device of some kind with this phone number? I tried using your phone number from the image, and I got the same message you did. Are you sure your country code and phone number are correct?

FYI: It is probably not a good idea to show your actual phone number in a public forum. You can use an image editor to erase or cover that before posting. You can always use a Private Message or email for that...

I would email or contact Viber customer support to see what they have to say.

There are a few other secure multi-media applications like Viber that you and anyone else can use, "Wire" (created by ex-Skype developers), "qTox" (Tox clients), "Ring", "Jitsi", etc...

Good Luck ...

Hope this helps ...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner",

I think I have an option that will work for you, and I do not know why this seems to work, except that Viber might have a problem with the way they created the "deb" file.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to download the Viber Linux "rpm" file and convert it using the "alien" converter to a deb file. It took awhile on my ancient computer. I will provide a link to it below. I installed it in my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 and it installed perfectly.

This is where I got the Linux "rpm" file - "Linux - Viber"
https://www.viber.com/products/linux/

I then brought up Viber from my Internet menu on my Linux Mint computer, used your phone number, and it was going to let me register it, which I stopped of course. So I think this file might work for you.

Download this file "viber_7.0.0.1035-3_amd64.deb" from link below and double click it to install it.
https://mega.nz/#!AY831LhK!Qkl4w37GPOSr ... tzXqwwcfNs

Hope this helps ...

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

About the security issue, yes, you're right, of course i'm not going to show my private number because it's associated with many things (bank account, prepayed design stuff ... etc) you know that, this is another number.

However, i pretty much went to contact you for further issues if you went of course, i prefer one of this social media "Whatsapp, Gmail" or suggest a social media i can use via linux, make sure you're all right with this matter first.

And it's a great idea, converting RPM to deb, it's a second way to reach what you went, i like it, right now i'm downloading the file from Mega site, hope it wokrs for me.

Thank you for your efforts, i really appreciate it.

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

and it worked, thanks to you, now i'm talking to my contacts via viber, thank you very much mate, you really helped me here, if there is anything i can do for you i'm here, hope we contact in the next time.
respect phd21

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner",

You are very welcome ...

Glad it worked for you, as I spent a fair amount of time on this.

Don't forget to put <Solved> in your original post's subject line ...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner",

I sent you a PM through the forum ...

Don't forget to put <Solved> in your original post's subject line ...

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

yeah, i looked for some of "solved" icon or something like that and i didn't find it.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TheDesigner",

You have to manually edit your original post, and add <Solved> to the subject line, click submit.

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner »

only there is a small probleme, as you might know, i'm new to this forum, and believe, the designe of this forum is weird for me hhhhh just show me names of the directions, that's all what i need, where i click!

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <Solved> Viber Installation Problem

Post by TheDesigner »

Done, sorry for bothering you.

Return to “Software & Applications”