New Router Recommendation with Physical VPN?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

New Router Recommendation with Physical VPN?

Post by SueS »

Hello,

I'm running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit. I am looking to replace an old Linksys WRT160N wireless router that I use to connect to a Netgear ADSL2+ Modem. I use DSL rather than cable. I'd like to find a new router that will work with the Netgear Modem, has good security for home use, including updated firmware and easy to update firmware (to quickly address KRACK type flaws that come up going forward). I don't need much speed. I don't stream or play games online. I just connect occasionally with one mobile device at a time and mostly just download books. My priorities are security and privacy.

I'd like for the router to include VPN capability. My understanding is that a physical VPN is much more secure than a software one, such as https://www.privateinternetaccess.com. Any suggestions? Or am I misunderstanding how VPNs work, i.e. I need a separate server to run a physical VPN?

SueS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New Router Recommendation with Physical VPN?

Post by phd21 »

HI "SueS",

All routers should be able to connect to your modem.

The VPN setup is still just settings using your VPN provider's files whether you are using a Desktop or a hardware router.

You can buy routers with VPN capabilities built-in, some even have the VPN provider you want to use already setup. Are you using PIA (Private Internet Access)? I would recommend getting a router with custom open source firmware, like "dd-wrt", tomato, etc... There are other posts on this topic in this forum...

If you are feeling adventurous, you might be able to "flash" your existing router with open source firmware, like "dd-wrt", "tomato", etc... and you will have the VPN option.

5 Best DD-WRT Routers of 2017, June 22, 2017
https://www.bestvpn.com/5-best-dd-wrt-routers-2017/

* The Best VPN Routers Of 2017, January 29, 2017
- see link for "Flashrouters" which sell pre-configured, pre-installed, routers.
https://greycoder.com/best-vpn-routers/
* "Flashrouters"
https://www.flashrouters.com/#a_aid=111

VPN Routers – Ultimate Resource Guide (Setup, Tips, Best Models), July 27, 2017
https://restoreprivacy.com/vpn-routers/

Search results for
Best router with VPN capability
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... nUjgFAMALI

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM, the firmware that comes with, and the latest update only allows the router to be setup as a VPN server, NOT a client. If you want to use the router as a client, to connect to pia vpn servers for example, you need to install open source software, like Phd21 suggests.

I use LEDE (Linux Embedded Device Environment) which is an off-shoot of openWRT, which will allow you to add the openvpn software and set it up as a VPN client.

Also, the WRT3200 and (I think) the WRT1900 & WRT1200 has a dual partition (dual boot) so you can install open source on one partition and leave the original firmware on the other. Switching back and forth can be accomplished by either using the 'Boot Other' (or what ever its called) or by cycling the power switch on the router 4 times (waiting 2 sec between each cycle).
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hello greerd and phd21,

Thanks very much for your quick, detailed and helpful replies. Greerd, I especially appreciate the links that you provided!

SueS
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Also, phd21, would you recommend PIA? Do you use it?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SueS",

Absolutely, I recommend using the wonderful low-cost PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN provider. Make sure you tell them you are a Linux Mint user as well.

And no, unfortunately I cannot use a paid for VPN right now like PIA, although I would like too ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hello phd21,

Thanks again for all those links you provided! I am finally getting around to buying a VPN enabled router in preparation for using a VPN. I appreciate you providing all those links. They helped me in my search.

Here are some further questions for you and others who were kind enough to reply to my original questions and/or are following this thread. As I indicated in my original question, I have a Netgear ADSL2+ modem. I think it's at least 2 years old. Does the security of that modem (or lack of up to the moment security because of the age of the modem) compromise the use of the VPN? I am thinking that as long as I am connecting through the VPN, the security of the ADSL2+ modem is not really an issue. Is this true? What if anything should I do to check that the ADSL2+ modem is secure? Can you point me to any posts or places to check the security of the modem?

SS

Return to “Networking”