[SOLVED] Remove Chrome keyring prompts

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Remove Chrome keyring prompts

Post by borg101 »

This is a two fold question. So, as some of you may know, I've previously asked about removing keyring prompts and was told it wasn't good to remove them. I had previously decided to just have a blank password. First, after some reading, I'm curious if my stored passwords, while unencrypted, are stored unhashed/in plain text? Second, is there a way to remove Chrome prompting me to enter my keyring password? Firefox doesn't do this, so I'm assuming there's a way.
Last edited by borg101 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Remove Chrome keyring prompts

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

Thanks for the link man. There were a lot of useful tips in there. Unfortunately, it only answered the second part of my question, not the first. If the passwords are now being stored unhashed and unencrypted, I don't want to disable my keyring and I'll just login from now on.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo »

borg101 wrote:
Thanks for the link man. There were a lot of useful tips in there. Unfortunately, it only answered the second part of my question, not the first. If the passwords are now being stored unhashed and unencrypted, I don't want to disable my keyring and I'll just login from now on.
When you first install the browser it will ask you to enter a keyring password but will accept a blank password. Simply reload the browser.

I had my browser ask me for a keyring password unexpectantly but since I had none the entry screen would not go away. I merely sent it to the panel and no more requests have been made since restarting.

In fifty years of use I have never used a password nor have I ever been digitally assaulted except the benign stuff. Now I use a one letter password to log on. It is not forbidden but is a taboo topic here. :twisted:
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

If the password is set as empty, all content of the keyring is in plain text, readable for everybody.

borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

Cosmo. wrote:If the password is set as empty, all content of the keyring is in plain text, readable for everybody.
Thanks Cosmo. I tried for myself and saw that they were indeed stored as plain text. So, I did the mature thing and made it require a password on login......then I disabled password prompts on wakeup, etc. :D

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Some bad news regarding this issue (which seems to be worse in 18.3 in comparison with 18.2): Clem wrote 2 days ago, that he cannot reproduce it. This makes a quick fix near to impossible.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

I use firefox and lastpass - glad I don't have to deal with this

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo »

Chrome is a great browser in many ways. Worth the slight provocation. But then this is not a thread for debating who has the biggest browser. :wink:

borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

Ozo wrote:Chrome is a great browser in many ways. Worth the slight provocation. But then this is not a thread for debating who has the biggest browser. :wink:
Thanks Ozo. One of my biggest beefs with software communities is when people try to devalue or diminish your problem by giving a solution that isn't applicable to the question asker, but rather a form of virtue signaling.

Though, for anyone who may be curious, I marked the thread as "solved" because I decided to put a password on my initial login screen. It takes .02 seconds to put in my password and I don't have to worry about any passwords being stored unencrypted.

For the record as to why I use Chrome over Firefox, Chromium, etc is that Google tends to be upfront with its users about its data collection, giving you the how, what, where, why, and when....and even the ability to remove most of it. I'd take that over companies building backdoors into their software so they can push updates out.

Return to “Newbie Questions”