Folders keep opening randomly (newbie)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kilbz
Level 1
Level 1

Folders keep opening randomly (newbie)

Post by kilbz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi
Pretty new to linux and as I have gotten sick of useless "updates" and "features" being added on my windows install.

The problem is that randomly, Mint will open the home folder (or the USB drive) maximised to full screen,
This happens even when I have no folders open in the task bar or even at the computer, I could be browsing the web and bam it opens up infront of me over the top of the web page I would be reading or typing on. If I close all open windows and walk away from the computer for a couple hours leaving it on desktop, I will come back to 6 or 7 instances of the open folders all maximised over the top of each other.

Other then this single issue I quite enjoy the OS and I am finding it better than windows for what I use computers for these days.
( I have no fear of using the terminal as I have used cmd dozens of times on windows, I just have no idea where to look in linux to fix this nor do I know the commands I need to make for Mint)

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Folders keep opening randomly (newbie)

Post by rene » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 pm

You would seem to have a wobbly USB connection to your USB drive -- port, connector or drive itself. Will almost guarantee that for every instance of a window opening you'll see a connect/disconnect sequence of "the USB drive" at the end of the output of dmesg. I.e., the system detecting a connect, opening a file manager window on the drive, with the immediate disconnect again making said window retreat to your home directory (as indeed it does for USB drives).

Other than physically wobbly connectors, more involved reasons could be for example automatic sleep/wakeup settings on your USB drive (or port) I suppose, but your USB drive is where you should be looking. If it does not have its own power supply, doubly.

kilbz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kilbz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 am

The USB port is quite tight, it doesn't always open the USB drive. mostly just the Home folder,

Ill try and attach a screen shot after leaving the computer running for about 6 hours on desktop. I have disabled all screen savers and sleep modes.
Screenshot from 2018-02-24 18-48-50.png

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 am

kilbz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 am
The USB port is quite tight, it doesn't always open the USB drive. mostly just the Home folder
Reverting to the home folder is what Nemo does when an open window's ditrectory can not be found anymore; I still suppose it is a USB connection issue with the disconnect simply happening even before you get the Window opened. The important thing here is to correlate the issue with disconnect/reconnect cycles appearing in dmesg: when you see a window opening, open a terminal and check the output of dmesg | tail -30.

As a test you'll probably also be able to in the File Manager (Nemo) choose Edit -> Preferences -> Behavior and under Media Handling deselect all options. Note that's not a solution or even workaround though: if you have a connection issue that's what needs to be solved. I have personally never heard of, say, device power management causing this; only physical and/or local power issues so check that first. If your USB drive does not have it's own power supply the latter's a prime suspect. Change USB ports (i.e., USB3 ports can supply more power than USB2), cable, ...

Return to “Other topics”