Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
baldyman01
Level 1
Level 1

Attempt to read outside hd0

Post by baldyman01 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 am

Linux battop 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 7 16:03:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am continually running into this "Attempt to read outside hd0" error message on boot, and I have to restart half a dozen times to get it to finally boot.

A google of this error message comes up with 1001 different theories and fixes, a lot of people seem to be getting hit by it.

Is there an official Linux Mint devs response to this issue? I'd love to know how to fix it.

Cheers

Pete

catweazel
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Attempt to read outside hd0

Post by catweazel » Wed May 02, 2018 5:18 am

baldyman01 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 am
A google of this error message comes up with 1001 different theories and fixes, a lot of people seem to be getting hit by it.

Is there an official Linux Mint devs response to this issue? I'd love to know how to fix it.
We're all volunteers here. Reading a few articles on that error message indicate a BIOS problem, i.e. your machine is probably a museum piece. Again, from what I have read, the way to fix it is to reinstall and create a 1GB /boot partition.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am

"... outside hd0..." Linux no longer uses the 'hd' device handle but GRUB does, so this looks like a message from GRUB complaining that the partition table is asking for something impossible.

If you get your Mint booted, you can run the i-have-just-been-installed GRUB script and re-build the boot code...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

The interface is keyboard-driven using Tab Space Up Down and Return

You would normally accept the default selection "keep the local version currently installed".

If there's a choice of boot devices, it doesn't hurt to have a GRUB boot on all of them.

"...official Linux Mint devs response..." I guess there is, but it would be far too rude to be posted here. Mint don't make grub-pc.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

baldyman01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by baldyman01 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am

Hi,

I found this suggestion on an Ubuntu forum. It worked for about about a week, after which the problem returned. I believe it was after a package update.

I'll re-run the update now, run this fix again, and see how long it lasts.

Cheers

Pete

P.S. Dell M3800 Core i7 Haswell, not exactly a museum piece :)

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Thu May 03, 2018 8:18 am

A Mint update involves packages carefully replacing files in the OS root volume. Outside that space, installing boot code or changing a partition table, I would expect a what-where-okay dialog. So...
o Is your drive forgetting what has been written? The Disks Accessory SMART report might help.
o is there any other operating system using the same hardware?
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

baldyman01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by baldyman01 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks for the help but the only fix for this, it appears, is to limit your \boot partition to less than 8G as this is the limit for what Grub can interpret. As 8G is not big enough for a / or a /home the only practical solution is to create a 1G /Boot for grub to reside in.

It's been behaving perfectly ever since I did this.

Given that this appears to be a known limitation of grub I the only conclusion is that this is a bug in the installer. By default, with a large enough harddrive, it will install a system that is almost guaranteed to break the first time grub is updated.

Return to “Installation & Boot”