syslog.1 oversize

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MikeM
Level 1
Level 1

syslog.1 oversize

Post by MikeM » Thu May 17, 2018 4:57 am

I am a new user migrating from Windows, trying to use Linux for Android development.
My system is rapidly running out of space due to the size of syslog.1
Looking at this file with less and tail shows temp>temp>temp>temp>
Its size is 107Gb all my other log files are less than 300Mb

Installed ncdu which seems a good program to examine the file sizes
I have tried various commands to empty the file e.g.

> syslog.1
sudo > syslog.1
sudo > /var/log/syslog.1 from root directory

How can I reclaim the space an prevent further problems
Thanks for the help

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: syslog.1 oversize

Post by xenopeek » Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 am

You can remove that file. sudo rm /var/log/syslog.1

However, it doesn't grow to such a size without reason. So examine you /var/log/syslog file for what errors are repeatedly being logged that you need to take action on. Most likely you installed some kind of server software (web or database server for example) and have not properly configured it.

MikeM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeM » Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks for that, sounds likely that's the problem. Unfortunately I have already deleted the log files but the problem has not occurred. The computer did have a bit of a problem before and I rebooted it. It responded to the mouse moves and clicks, but would not give focus to any of the minimized windows. Its OK now but will keep an eye on it. Unfortunately being a Windows user for many years makes you lazy, unlike Unix where you have to use the command line.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

You don't have to use the command line. You could have used disk usage analyzer to find who was hogging your disk, you could have use your file manager (using its option "open as root" on the /var/log directory to be able to delete files from it) and you could have use system log program to peruse the logs. That said it can be convenient to use the command line and in rare cases may be required if you can no longer get to the desktop.

MikeM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeM » Sun May 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Yes that's good, but happy to stick with it if it works.

Why does my system freeze me out. I left it on for about 3 days without touching it. I have the Mint logo and clock frozen at 14:05 even though its now 21:20, don't know if it froze today or yesterday. The cursor is available and moves with the mouse. but I can't log on or get a menu, the only thing I can do is crash the system and start again.

Any ideas where to look?

Return to “Newbie Questions”