music app for android phone to sync with linux??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
brutusoftroy99
Level 1
Level 1

music app for android phone to sync with linux??

Post by brutusoftroy99 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am

second dumb question.
Is there an app that I can get that will sync my android phone with some kind of software on mint?
The thing is that I have been directly placing music into the music file but after some time even though I delete the files and the music is gone the memory on the phone fills up and I have to do a factory reset to get it right again.
Thanks

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10

Re: music app for android phone to sync with linux??

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

Are the deleted files going into the recycle bin, effectively not being deleted. Worth a check.
With a Micro USB cable the phone can be connected to Mint and the music can be moved there.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD processor . Memory 8GB

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 pm

A factory reset seems to be an unnecessary effort.
Which Android with which music program do you use?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Thu May 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Dropbox might be a solution for you.
Please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line if your problem has been solved. It helps other members.

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

If you've got Play Music on the phone, Google allows you to upload your music collection (maximum 50,000 tracks) to Play Music where you can then stream to the phone or use the Play Music app to pin/download specific tracks/albums or playlists to avoid using data for streaming. It's a free service - no need to be a Play Music subscriber.

They also provide a Mint/Ubuntu app to automate the upload process - https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/manager

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter » Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Just delete trash from bin before you eject the phone and it will delete everything physically
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm

smurphos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm
If you've got Play Music on the phone, Google allows you to upload your music collection (maximum 50,000 tracks) to Play Music where you can then stream to the phone or use the Play Music app to pin/download specific tracks/albums or playlists to avoid using data for streaming. It's a free service - no need to be a Play Music subscriber.

They also provide a Mint/Ubuntu app to automate the upload process - https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/manager
Yes, yes, and Google will know everything about your music habits, as well as about everything else. Why don't you give them your DNA, fingerprint, blood sample, fingerprint and foot sweat?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

ugly
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ugly » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I'm a little unclear on what options you have available to you. Do you only have your phone's internal storage, or do you have an expansion slot for a microSD card.

One way that I think I've managed to get working is using rsync and sshelper and foobar.

I'm not very proficient with Linux, or phones, so it was a bit of a struggle to figure out. But it seems to work.

There's a guide from sshelper on how to access external storage: https://arachnoid.com/android/SSHelper/ ... age_Access

Using sshelper I can run an rsync command from Mint to copy the files over to the microSD card.

One major issue I have is that for some reason most music apps do not detect any music files after doing the rsync command. I'm not sure if it's a phone permission issue. But the foobar Android app has no problems accessing the music files.

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am

absque fenestris wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm
Yes, yes, and Google will know everything about your music habits, as well as about everything else. Why don't you give them your DNA, fingerprint, blood sample, fingerprint and foot sweat?
Well they've got my fingerprint - except they haven't - biometrics don't leave the device they are registered on.... :roll: Yep Google know my Music Taste....I don't personally have a problem with that. It's a simple straightforward solution available to anyone with a Google registered Android device and was offered as such.

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 am

smurphos wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am
absque fenestris wrote:
Well they've got my fingerprint - except they haven't - biometrics don't leave the device they are registered on.... :roll: Yep Google know my Music Taste....I don't personally have a problem with that. It's a simple straightforward solution available to anyone with a Google registered Android device and was offered as such.
+1
Google knowing your music test isnt a big deal.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD processor . Memory 8GB

lsemmens
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lsemmens » Fri May 18, 2018 10:50 am

absque fenestris wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 pm
A factory reset seems to be an unnecessary effort.
Which Android with which music program do you use?
+1 Phone and App would be useful.

I just plug my phone in and treat it as another drive, never have issues. (Galaxy S7)
Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 3Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 am

absque fenestris wrote:
smurphos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

I don't think the OP is wearing a tinfoil hat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”