dual boot - how to reach files?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
catch22
Level 3
Level 3

dual boot - how to reach files?

Post by catch22 »

I'm not really a Linux-newbee anymore, but am so - more or less - in the department of dual-booting because I don't know how things are shared in such a case.
I installed LinuxMint Mate for a friend, next to her Windows OS.
She insists on keeping all files in her Windows side, for now at least.
So I want to show her how to get to those files from within her Linux OS, but also the other way around!
Could someone please point me to the right documentation for both scenarios?
done with distro-hopping! Linux Mint desktop / Bunsen Labs netbook

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: dual boot - how to reach files?

Post by kc1di »

accessing files on the linux from windows should be no real problem but accessing linux partitions can be
Here's one tutorial that may help:
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways ... m-windows/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

Simplier solution would be to use VirtualBox! Then you would a bi-directional I/F :)
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.6 Kernel 5.4.0-42 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay »

catch22 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 am
There may be a problem if she stores files downloaded with Linux, in her Windows system. Linux isn't affected by Windows viruses and malware, but if a file downloaded by Linux is then accessed from Windows, there is a possibility that her Windows system could become infected, unless she checks each file thoroughly with her Windows antivirus and anti-malware programs first.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

turtlebay wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am
There may be a problem if she stores files downloaded with Linux, in her Windows system. Linux isn't affected by Windows viruses and malware, but if a file downloaded by Linux is then accessed from Windows, there is a possibility that her Windows system could become infected, unless she checks each file thoroughly with her Windows antivirus and anti-malware programs first.
Nonesense. An AV checks files automatically as soon as an attempt is made to open a file.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay »

catweazel wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:44 am
turtlebay wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am
Nonesense. An AV checks files automatically as soon as an attempt is made to open a file.
Only if one is installed in the first place! Try thinking before posting. Guessing, it's a very long time since you used Windows!

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

turtlebay wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:48 am
Only if one is installed in the first place!
All Windwoes OSen from 7 onward have Windwoes Defender, which is deactivated if another AV is installed... Guessing, it's a very long time since you used Windows!
Try thinking before posting. Guessing, it's a very long time since you used Windows!
Wrong guess. You try thinking before posting.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy »

catch22 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 am
I'm not really a Linux-newbee anymore, but am so - more or less - in the department of dual-booting because I don't know how things are shared in such a case.
I installed LinuxMint Mate for a friend, next to her Windows OS.
So I want to show her how to get to those files from within her Linux OS, but also the other way around!
Could someone please point me to the right documentation for both scenarios?
Providing her windows is completely shut down, not in hibernation, the files on the windows side will be accessible in the Linux /Home folder under devices. Just shows up as a drive which can be navigated, Users....\Desktop ...\Downloads etc.

Use

Code: Select all

msconfig
in Windows ( from search ) and turn off all the fast boot etc settings in the boot tab and run

Code: Select all

shutdown /s /f /t 0
from command prompt one time.

As pointed out above its harder to do it the other way. An easier solution is to create a new NTFS partition for file storage. Both operating systems will be able to access it.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

I agree with the general sentiment of the prior posts. For a Windows user merely tinkering with Mint, it probably is best to let her keep all her files on the Windows side. If you talk her into doing it the other way and she screws it up, she's going to blame you anyway and will hate Linux forever.

By the way, if one WANTS to access Linux files from Windows, my understanding is that the best way to do this is Samba. See this thread for installation instructions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”